Propane dryer?

MagnoliaTom

I have access to a nice stackable frigidaire washer and dryer from a condo I'm renovating. My question is can the gas dryer run on an independent 20 lb propane tank? I know I can convert the orifice to run on propane. An independent tank would be easier to do rather than running an extra gas line. Plus I'm concerned about the regulators pressure. I think it could work. Any thoughts or advice as to why it could or couldn't work?

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
It's probably feasible, once the dryer regulator is converted from NG to propane. My question would be how much propane does it take to run a load vs. how much a 20lb. tank can supply.

MagnoliaTom

I've only come across one person who says a 20 lb tank lasts about 8 hrs of use. That's about 8 loads. We would probably only use 1 maybe 2 loads per trip...and it probably would only be used on occasion since we are not full timers.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I've only come across one person who says a 20 lb tank lasts about 8 hrs of use. That's about 8 loads. We would probably only use 1 maybe 2 loads per trip...and it probably would only be used on occasion since we are not full timers.

If the "access" means it's free, then it might be worth doing. Modifying the machine and plumbing a propane line probably won't be that expensive, as opposed to buying a washer/dryer set for your rig. For that limited use, why bother with adding an extra 20lb. tank, just plumb it into your main system.

Mburtsvt

Stop and think for a minute. Why are there NO PROPANE DRYERS IN THE FIRST PLACE! A propane burning appliance would ned at least 3” of vent pipe and an additional air intake system, (hole in the floor) to get the large volume of air it need to be efficient.

When you wake up with headaches and dizzeness after a half hour nap you will have second thoughts.

I have access to a nice stackable frigidaire washer and dryer from a condo I'm renovating. My question is can the gas dryer run on an independent 20 lb propane tank? I know I can convert the orifice to run on propane. An independent tank would be easier to do rather than running an extra gas line. Plus I'm concerned about the regulators pressure. I think it could work. Any thoughts or advice as to why it could or couldn't work?

MagnoliaTom

Stop and think for a minute. Why are there NO PROPANE DRYERS IN THE FIRST PLACE! A propane burning appliance would ned at least 3” of vent pipe and an additional air intake system, (hole in the floor) to get the large volume of air it need to be efficient.

When you wake up with headaches and dizzeness after a half hour nap you will have second thoughts.

I thought of that....but then I thought what do people living in a single wide use when they're in a rural area without natural gas?

AAdams

Like the OP, I was thinking that a LP dryer would be nice, and dry much faster, but after looking at the RVIA rules I now know why the manufactures of RV's can't put them in. The RVIA rules state that all fuel burning appliances must be labeled for RV use and I know of no brand of propane dryer that is made for a RV. Another rule says that the combustion chamber must be sealed from the interior atmosphere ( except ranges ). So you would have to have a special dryer that could draw air in from the outside for the burner that is in a sealed chamber, and vent the exhaust outside.

Could someone put one in a RV, maybe. Would it comply to the industry standard for safety, not at this time.