Mounting a new spare tire need some advice

Several of you have probably seen posts from me already....new owner here of a 2009 BHS285 Ultralite. One of the disappointing features of my 5er is no spare tire came on it. I did not bother to call the dealer regarding this as I planned on upgrading the my wheels and tires anyway after reading all the horror stories about China bomb tires....

I ordered and recieved my new tires and wheels from Discount Tire yesterday, but have not had time to put them on yet and probably won't until I am a little closer to getting out and using the trailer (just as well let the China bombs sit out in the weather for the time being).

I have not looked to see if there is a place to mount a spare under the front, besides I think I would rather put the spare someplace else so I dont drag it on the ground.

Have any of you purchased one of THESE mounting brackets for your rear bumper? I am a little concerned about how well one will fit and if it will damage the chrome plated bumper.

Any comments and suggests are appreciated.

Thanks
Shane

fishn2dmax

My last two 5'er had that same rear bumper mount and I had no problems. In fact, we used to strap a bike on the spare as well. No problems with damage to the bumper.

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
We also had this mount on a previous trailer, had no problems and was quite solid......Ken

Randy

Founding Georgia Chapter Leader (Ret)
Shane, I have used three of them thru the years. Two in travel trailers and one on a boat trailer. Work great for the price. Randy

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I've had that same mount on a Jayco. Worked fine! As far as yoor bumper. Is it Chrome plated or an Aluminum cover over a steel bumper? You will most likely cause some small dents in the aluminum when you tighten the clamps. It would be best if you were able to clamp it directly to the steel.