ATF: Road Warrior - RW 420

kjm1970

Ordered my 420 and I have been reading that for 2015 there are different (non sunk in) tubs being put in. Any truth to that? I am 6'6" and that sunk in tub is a great feature for me, would hate to lose that. Also, any other changes that I may see that is different from last year? I ordered every option BUT full body paint. Can't wait!!!

jbeletti

Kyle - as timing of answers to your questions may be of the essence with regard to your on-order coach, I'd like you to give the Toyhauler team a call in the morning. Kindly call 574-262-5992 after 8 am EST and ask for the Toyhauler division.

Codive

I'm interested too, at 6'4" the RW420 and the CY4200 were the only units left my wife said met all of our "specs".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tomsws6

Not to hijack the thread but how does your f250 SRW handle the 420? I have a f350 SRW pulling a 4200, I believe its the same camper.

kjm1970

Hi tomsws6,

I have to say, towing this RW 420 is interesting. I just got home from picking up the rig in Ohio and bringing it home to Long Island. This rig is BIG and HEAVY. You have to pay attention, the Automated Safety Hitch is great, but I honestly think that the 420 is too heavy to tow with a 3/4 ton even with the Safety Hitch. I think 15,000lbs would be the max, this 420 is heavy. I think it would be too heavy with a 1 ton LOL. I may just be looking to go to an HDT. I did a year of research on the Safety Hitch and went to see it being built in Texas. I am totally sold on it without a doubt. I just bought a rig that is too big for this application. Lesson learned. Safety is my biggest concern for my family and I feel like I have a little egg on my face here. I really didn't want to buy a dually but even with that, I honestly think it is a stretch with the shear size and weight of this 420. What are your thoughts on a MDT or HDT?

kjm1970

You are right, my rig is too big even with the Safety Hitch. I got home safe, but there were a few white knuckle moments. Lesson learned, dually here I come or even perhaps a MDT/HDT.

tomsws6

Honestly we are in the same boat... Mine maybe a 350 but.....its an 06. I put 60pds of air in the air bags and she didnt squat to much and as long as I kept it under 2000rpm the temps stayed happy(im stock) for the 4hr ride home. But yes, she is heavy. Im going to hit the scales tomorrow and, well, justify it some more to upgrade. We talked about it on the way home from picking it up and it looks like were going to upgrade the truck.. I really like the 450's and gm's 4500's but would go for a sport chassis if I didnt have to use it as a daily driver so much.. I also think the cost on a MDT vs a "over grown" pickup is a bang for the buck.. You can pick up a used sport-chassis and haul the 420 up and down the mountains like nothings behind you. You also can get air ride seats, air suspensions, equal if not better mpg, million mile motors and what ever your heart desired in them.. I just cant justify starting one up to go pick up a loaf of bread downtown, ofcourse the kids would love it. So Ill prob go with a 450 or 4500 that will get the job done safely and in style too.

OEFVET

I use a 2015 GMC 3500HD DRW to tow my 4200. The truck is a beast. Duramax and allison automatic are bullet proof. It is within the 24,000lb towing limit. I have pulled up and down hills with no problem maintaining cruising speed. Exhaust brake is awsome as well. Just letting you guys know that you don't have to upgrade to a 4500.

tomsws6

I have seen and heard alot of reviews on GM's exhaust brake and according to them its the best of the big 3.

OEFVET

Yes it works very well. Also the 2015 is able to tow heavier loads then say a 2005. It is built specifically for towing.

porthole

Retired
You are right, my rig is too big even with the Safety Hitch. I got home safe, but there were a few white knuckle moments. Lesson learned, dually here I come or even perhaps a MDT/HDT.

Thought that from the beginning. Personally I think that hitch is just a band aid. And for the cost, upgrading the truck seems like a better idea.
I can't imagine having to tow that setup around Long Island!

How were the tolls? I went out to the middle of the Island in December before the latest increase, with my DRW and 2 axle motorcycle trailer it cost me $130 in tolls!

FWIW, living in our area where we have the "roller coaster" hills, I have come to the conclusion that even our 2 axle toy hauler would be better suited with a 450 now (or the new 350 with the axle increase). Already prepped Deb last year letting her know we either needed a bigger truck or a smaller trailer.

I'm going to look at some Volvo VNL's. You only live once right? :)

There is a dealer in New Jersey near the Outerbridge that carries MDT's for RV's now, I have been tempted more then once. But, the shoe polish window price of $125K has me passing on by.

I have seen and heard alot of reviews on GM's exhaust brake and according to them its the best of the big 3.

"According to them" - the big three all use a VGT turbo brake now, Ford being the last to implement it. So they all work about the same.

BTW, "supposedly" BD Performance is again working on their version of the add on brake for Ford's, hopefully will be out in the next month or two.
My guess it will be similar to the original Banks Speed Brake, which was a VGT turbo brake for the D-MAx, before GM or Ram started using the technology.

tomsws6

Hit the cat scale today... steer axle 4680 drive axle 7100 trailer 14240 total 26020 and truck only7920. justified....need new truck

scottyb

My 4100 and F350 DRW went over the scales at 30440, fully loaded ( with 2K in garage). I never felt like I needed more truck or gears, just lacking a solid exhaust brake. The 2013 turbos were supposedly too small and fell short at altitude, but I was never above 8K elev. I would grow weary driving a truck with 4.30 gears, for an every day driver, just to have a little extra oomph going up an occasional mountain pass. The 350/3500 DRW's w/ 3.73's will easily handle any Heartland product, currently in production.

Attachments

• Cat Scales 090213.pdf
    305.8 KB · Views: 15

tomsws6

I believe the 4100 has one more slide than the 4200's too.. Ill say I was a 3rd fully loaded.. I didnt have my electric golf cart in the back and probably another 500 or so pounds of "crap" that we dont need to take we end up taking every time, but we had the fridge loaded and cabinets with food and clothes.. Tanks were dry but the truck had a full tank and it was just me... So how do I find out my actual pin weight as Im not even a 100% sure what my payload capacity is.

porthole

Retired
... So how do I find out my actual pin weight as Im not even a 100% sure what my payload capacity is.

It looks like you did two weighs, truck and trailer and just truck, correct?

Take the drive axle weight on the truck and trailer ticket and subtract the drive axle weight from the truck only ticket, that will be your tongue weight.

Add that pin box/tongue weight result to the truck and trailer ticket's trailer axle weight for a weight of your trailer only.