Silent Running Product

Sans1

OK, I searched the forum and don't find anything related. If it is already out there please send link. I have a 2014 Torque 291, came with onan 4k gas generator onboard. The first time we used it I was quite disappointed with how loud it was. Using a digital sound level meter in "Fast mode" I am sitting at an A-Weighted reading of 68-70 dB and a C-Weighted of 75/76 db I realize much of this comes from vibration. I tried insulating the box using 1 inch foil backed foam insulation on left, right and back wall of the inside of the generator box, and 3 inches on the top inside of the box. The After measurements were A-Weighting of 64-66 dB (~4dB improvement) and C-weighting of 68-70 (~7dB improvement). Keep in mind to the ear, it is the A-weighting that counts. A little more than 3dB and it is noticeable quieter but not as much as I had hoped. For those that may not be aware, every 3dB you reduce it cuts the the level in half. I stumbled across a product called Silent Running. I sent an inquiry and was advised SR Car would likely best suit my needs. I 'googled' that and found this link http://www.fmcmagazine.com/back-issues/2014/september/3592-rv-products-september-2014.html.
The price seems reasonable, but before I spend the money and put in the effort, I was wondering if anyone has tried this product for quieting your generator and how well it worked. For a basis of comparison, on this same trip, I used my Honda i2000 (rated at 49 db in economy mode) located it as far as my cord would allow and could not hear it over the TV. Using the on board generator was not even close (i.e. 6X louder), I had to crank the TV volume to compensate and not really comfortable level. For the record, I would rather be outside anyway, but my wife likes to have her TV.

danemayer

Hi Sans1,

I don't remember any discussion about Silent Running over the past 4 years, but perhaps someone knows something about it.

jbeletti

Looks like some pretty cool stuff. They have some product videos on their website (www.sr-car.com).

I'd love to have the cab interior of my truck sprayed with a sound dampening coating. But I don't want to take the time, hassle and expense of removing and reinstalling my interior.

Wondering if this would be worth using as a coating under my truck on the underside of the cab. I'd love to have a quieter cab at highway speeds.

Let us know if you end up using this product. Not sure what cleanup is like with the applicator but you may want to prepare other surfaces so you can hit them at the same time you do your generator area.