Refrigerator Cooling - How's yours doing?

jbeletti

Hey gang,

Over the last year, I've read quite a few threads from Mobile Suites owners about cooling fan issues with their refrigerators. Most involved too low of a fuse value - a simple fix that they all took care of easily.

But more recently, I've read on 5thwheelforums.com about some folks installing extra cooling fans on their refers to help them cool down faster. I sort of like the idea.

I have noticed on my unit (10 cf with ice maker) that even on level 5, it does take a long time to cool room temperature items down (beer/water etc.) .

From an ice maker perspective, I have had issues. While I do keep the refer on all season (electricity at my home CG, LP on the road, then electricity again at away CGs), when I have no water available for the ice maker when on the road, then get to a CG and reconnect the water, sometimes the ice maker pushes out mush instead of nice solid cubes. Sounds temperature related to me and thinking back, it was during the hottest days of the summer when traveling.

Sooo, I am wondering if the Dometic refer we have in the Landmarks could benefit from additional cooling fans? Or any cooling fans as I am not even sure I have any (never looked).

Thoughts?

Jim

Tom of Ypsi

No issues here even on the hottest days (90plus) the ice maker took longer to make ice but when it did it was solid. After the first half day I usually have to turn the refer down to 3 so things do not get too cold and get burnt by the cold (lettuce, fruit etc)

Cheryl

So, you both have ice maker's? Wonder where mine is?:p I know, I know, it is probably an option in the double door refregierator. That will teach me to buy off the lot and not order.:eek:

Tom of Ypsi

Cheryl, With the side by side refer you gain space for food :D but loose storage space :( , I do not have the appliace garage and whatever other storage space there is that is taken up by the freezer side.

Cheryl

I was just trying to be funny. I'm perfectly happy with the refrigerator I have. It is plenty big enough for the 2 of us.

BluegrassMan

Refer Questions ?

So far no problems with our refer. I had a side by side in our Sea Breeze and thought it was a little small on BOTH sides, It looked neat but my wife didn't care for it after a while. In our G Canyon we ordered the standard refer with the freezer in the top. But we did get everything in stainless finish, even the optional oven down below.:)

fireflipper

EX-Travel Bug
Fireflipper

HI Jim
I am with Cheryl on this one. Double door with ice maker, how nice.

Just a thought. Get a thermometer and check the temp in the frezer area. It should be down around 8 to 10 degrees, the refer section should be about 40 degrees, if not it needs to be adjusted. In the refer section on the fins there is a small wire attach to a white thing. Don't know what else to call it. Any way slide it up to make the frezer area colder. My fridge is set on four and works quite well.

Glenn

Cooper

My icebox went out last week the dealer repaired it and now it works on propane only, now its has to go back to the dealer. Is this common on a new trailer 6 months old?

K

Ken Washington

Cooper,
We had problems from the start. Dealer said that there were some loose connections and a fuse. Good luck on getting yours fixed.

Cooper

They say its the heat coupler because it works on propane. I tested the coupler and it does not heat up. I told them I would not bring it back to the dealer so they or coming to me tomorrow. Most dealers would not go to the 5er. Its a big hassel to hook up and drive to the dealer 20 miles.

Cooper

Saturday My Dealer EXPUSA came out and repaired my Ref. they replaced the thermo-coupler and board now it works great . The beer and DP's or cold.

bowtorc

Jim

WE have had the same issue with other units. The extra fan is a good idea we have done that in the past with good results. We also had one that we could not improve. the upper vent for the ref. was below the top of the coils because the ref was on the kitchen slide and the roof of the slide was too low to allow the vent to be positioned correctly. Dealer x would not tell us that but two repair shops did.

Again, my guess is that because of the larger ref. you need more air movement and are probably working with the same size vent as our smaller ref.. the added fan has made a dif for us in the past.

Roger

jpmorgan37

We have a 10 cf in our Grand Canyon without the ice maker (don't know if that makes a difference) and we keep it set on 4. We have been living in it since mid Feb and outside temp ranges from 28 to mid 80's. We don't have a circulating fan and everything stay good. Fresh veggies, fruit, milk, juice, and whatever in the frig. The freezer works perfect. Meat and Ice Cream stay good and hard. I would give it a try first before adding the fan. JMHO.
John

Deb

Deb
We were told by our ref. repairman that if you want the ref. to cool down quicker. Put the control on propane instead of electric. Then after it is cold - go back to electric if you wish.

Deb

Cooper

The repair man is right. At my storage place I keep my unit plugged in at all times and keep my box on.

Last edited:
K

Ken Washington

Maybe I am wrong, but propane is hot when it burns! Ha Ha I do not think propane is circulated but burned to cause the cooling effect. Using propane to jump start the ref. is a good idea because it heats the ammonia faster than electricity. What we do is start our ref. a day early on electricity to save propane.

Cooper

Hay Ken your right I had my head up my ----- I must have been drinking and thinking of feron. Hay I am old man I get my gases mixed up

jpmorgan37

Another thing on the 10 cf refrigerator is the low ambient switch and the climate control switch which helps keep down the sweating in high humidity conditions. They are inside the freezing compartment at the top of the door opening, if you haven't found them yet.

John