Don't think this is a good idea....

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
On my way home today in my small SUV driving around 70ish in a 75mph zone eastbound on I-20 in Texas, I was passed by this:

FullSizeRender.jpg

A Dodge 3500 towing a Crossroads Rushmore, towing a Jeep Grand Cherokee.

Looking at the specs, this 5ver has a 16K GVWR, and E rated tires. It does have a 2" receiver as a factory option.

Note that the trailer is NOT towing level.

He was living up to the name, too... "Rushmore", as he was towing this at 70+ mph.

BTW, this is at the bottom of the specs for the Rushmore: Tow Vehicle Disclaimer: Caution - owners of CrossRoads recreational vehicles are solely responsible for the selection and proper use of tow vehicles. All customers should consult with a motor vehicle manufacturer or their dealer concerning the purchase and use of suitable tow vehicles for CrossRoads RV products. CrossRoads RV disclaims any liability or damages suffered as a result of the selection, operation, use or misuse of tow vehicle. CrossRoads RV's limited warranty does not cover damage to the recreational vehicle or tow vehicle as a result of the selection, operation, use or misuse of the tow vehicle.

jimtoo

It's amazing what some people do... or how they drive. We went to San Antonio this morning and on the way a welder towing a North Trail in the 26'-30' range passed me and I was cruising in my Cruz at 73mph... I guessing he was cruising about 80. But I'm sure he was OK... Dodge dually..big exhaust stacks... very loud. :)

Jim M

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Is that even legal to pull a car or SUV behind an RV trailer?

I wouldn't think so . . .

Kosanko

I saw a guy this weekend pulling a 40' toy hauler with a jeep being pulled behind it with an over all length of over 80'. His TV was a Volvo tractor with tandum duals and he had a Blue Ox brake controller on the jeep, so not a stopping issue but VERY LONG!!!

Jim.Allison

It is lawful, in Texas but the total vehicle length cannot exceed X feet. But I would never do it. However I used to haul small tandem horse/cattle trailers and utility trailers when I was a kid. And I did double pulls.

Last edited:

Kosanko

Jim,

The guy I was talking to was a retired truck driver with a CDL with double endearment with a HDT with a not for hire logo on the side, so technically he was legal since double pulls are legal in Az.

whp4262

I have a class A CDL with doubles, triples and tanker endorsements. I would pull double if I had to but I don't think I would ever want to. To hard to maneuver and to much work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bohemian

I do not know of any state where that is legal. As far as I know double tow RVing is limited to a small boat, motorcycle, pwc, atv or equivalent. No, I do not know all state lsws. Having a CDL only says that he should know better. Even if the truck can handle it, the 5th can't.

It is an amazing sight. One to keep far, far away from.

pegmikef

It is not all that unusual to see boats being towed behind trailers . . . but usually not at 70 mph. I once asked a guy at Spence Reservoir (Robert Lee, TX) how he backed up . . . his response "you don't."

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I do not know of any state where that is legal. As far as I know double tow RVing is limited to a small boat, motorcycle, pwc, atv or equivalent. No, I do not know all state lsws. Having a CDL only says that he should know better. Even if the truck can handle it, the 5th can't.

It is an amazing sight. One to keep far, far away from.

Exactly!

I've seen a couple of times a big monster motor home pulling an SUV or pickup behind it with a boat trailer attached to the back of the SUV or truck.

Don't even know if that is considered legal or safe . . . but at least seems more acceptable than the photo in the OP!

That just seems to dangerous to even be on the road . . .

Jim.Allison

It is lawful in Texas as long as the combination does not exceed 65 feet. And somehow I think that combination is in excess of 65 feet bumper to bumper.

caissiel

We towed a 2000 lbs Miata behind our 34 ft 5th wheel for 5 years. I had. 98 GM 6.5l diesel rated at 8500 lbs trailer. Total weight towed was over 14k. Lbs.
Now with 40 ft trailer and long box Ford it's to long.
But we still drive a car south with us and the wife drives behind me.
Fuel mileage is way better for the truck towing the 15k trailer and she gets to listen ro her own music. I do the navigating and she pulls over behind me when I put the signal to change lanes. It's so relaxing with her behind me. She tells me that she is much more comfortable driving by knowing we will never be without a vehicle in case of emergency.
We also park at WMs and FJs and take day trips with the car.
PS the car gets up to 15 mpg better mileage. Woth her following behind me. And the truck gets up to 2 mpg better. So her driving behind is negligible and much more practical. The wife always takes her car everywhere we go and it saves lots of mileage on the truck that is much more expensive to replace.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
4800 lbs is about what the Jeep weighs, according to "the Internet".

That's like hauling a dry Wilderness 1950RB!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

MCTalley

In related news, was passed by a lifted Ram 2500 with larger wheels and low-profile tires on it towing a triple axle toy hauler today. The rear end of the truck was sitting a good six inches lower than the front. Of course, he passed me (I was going 65) doing a good 75 mph.