Water in the underbelly

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
DW and I had a fun day today. We noticed the other day water was dripping from the rear underbelly. So today the wife and i decided to see what might be the problem. We took down the coraplast and found the insulation to be completed saturated. There was nothing leaking so we surmised the water intrusion was from driving in the rain a few days ago. So since the insulation was wet we tossed it and bought more. While the fresh water tank was exposed we notice the center strap holding up the tank was loose and the heating pad on the tank was coming off. So I reattached the heating pad to the tank. All of the conglomeration of wires were rearranged and neatly dressed and the TV/cable coax lines (3 of them) were tightened. We did find one coax connection with the wire in the cable bent. It was straightened and reconnected. Now, at this point, we have the the new insulation installed and almost all of the coraplast reattached. Ran out of time and will finish it up in the morning. Whew, what a job. We are going to attempt to seal the edges to prevent intrusion of road wash while traveling. Thank goodness the tank was okay and not leaking. Oh yeah, I did find the wires running to the tank heating pad we pinched at the point where they ran through the frame next to the fresh water tank fill hoses. (poor design) That issue was addressed also.

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
Jim,

Before you go too far and seal up the coroplast make sure you have two overflow vents pertruding from the coroplast and/or frame. These vent pipes are for fresh water storage tank and have the tendenacy to pull back trhought the bottom of coach and expell overflow into belly of unit. This has happen to me and had to do everything you did to clean up the mess.

Murry135

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Jim, when you are done...drill a 1/4 hole in the low spot in the coroplast so water can drain out.

MTPockets

I had this happen too while driving all day in rain. In my case, the gaps were around the spring shackles and frame. I sealed mine using flat aluminum plate stock and cut it to fit around where the shackles are welded to the frame, then using caulk on the plate and screwing it to the frame. This completely sealed the gaps and no water since(18 months).

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Thanks for all the advise. It is appreciated. I am in the process of sealing all of the gaps I can see. I am using a combination of expanding foam, spray on Flex Seal, Gorilla Tape and just plain old caulk. I will make a small hole in the Coraplast for drainage just in case. Also I have the two drain tubes extending which on our rig are on the outside of the frame. I have put cutoffs on them because they have a tendency to allow water to slosh out while traveling if there is enough water in the fresh water tank. BTW we normally travel
with only enough water in the fresh water tank to flush the toilet as we always use hookups. Water is too heavy to travel around with full tanks.