How to do Backup Camera for the Technical Nerd.

lynndiwagoner

I thought I would fool around and see if I could add a backup camera to the rig "on the cheap." I started out with an old Netgear wireless router I bought at a garage sale for a couple of bucks. I looked around for an inexpensive WiFi IP camera on Ebay and ended up with http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wireless-WI...=9e8ebb0c9b5a4ac4b551b2019a8969d6&pid=100102& this one. At around $45.00 it seemed to be a relative bargain. I took out the middle clearance light on the top/back of the rig. With a little plate metal and some sealant I was able to mount it securely. I went through the clearance light hole and drilled into the top cabinets so to tap into 12VDC. I also wired the router to the 12Vdc. I set up the wireless router for a local area network with no internet connection and connected the camera to the network. The camera comes default with an IP address of 192.168.1.88 which worked perfectly. I used an app from the play store, IP Camera Viewer Pro by Robert Chou, on my samsung android tablet, to view the camera. The app allows multiple views so you could add several cameras to the system. The viewing device needs to be connected to the same network as the camera, I used a SSID of "Wagoncam" with no encryption. Plenty of range. Works perfectly! This concept would work around your home also. If this doesn't make sense then don't attempt it.

olcoon

Sounds good...even though I didn't understand a lot of it!!! And that was good advise, I'm not going to attempt it! I'd like to have a back up camera, and a dash cam, but got too many other things waiting in line for my money!

Jim.Allison

What if you kind of understand it? Maybe I will get my kid to read your post.....lol. He does all my remotes.

lynndiwagoner

There are 3 clearance lights across the top back of my rig. I replaced the center one with the camera. I think two are sufficient. I'll try to post a picture.