Toilet Seal Failed!!

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Has anyone had their toilet seal on the dometic sealand toilet completely fail? We have, won't hold water for even a few seconds, drains right out.

If so, have you contacted Dometic for a replacement...what was their response?

Thanks...

Forrest Fetherolf

kakampers,

My prior post on toilet seal leaking:

If your toilet seal looks good and you have removed the toilet bowl from the toilet base..............the seal system consists of large flat compression seal (to seal toilet bowl to toilet base) and inner seal (flush ball seal). The inner seal can be rotated within the outer seal allowing the flush ball to reseal against a ball seal in a different wear pattern.

My toilet was not sealing because the flush ball seal was sagging not allowing the flush ball to completely close the last 1/8". I rotated the inner seal slightly to create a new wear surface for the flush ball to glide over and close. Use Pledge furniture polish to lube the seal (has wax in it).

Make sure to removed all debris from both seals before reinstalling and spray Pledge onto both sides of seals. Reinstall the toilet bowl and tighten the clamp, the flush ball seal should have the same reveal around the flush ball opening (as looking down the hole). If not, loosen the clamp and adjust the toilet bowl into position.

If this works, no need to buy parts. The flush ball seal can be rotated several times until it seals no more...............then you can buy an new seal kit. Tool required........screwdriver or nut driver to remove the toilet bowl speed clamp. No need to disconnect the water lines, just turn off water supply to RV and dump any water in toilet bowl prior removing clamp.

jpmorgan37

Ken;

Forrest's suggestion has resolved that problem for many. But in case it doesn't, here is a copy of the post I made in August of 2006 and haven't had the problem since.

I may have the solution. I have messed with the seal, rotated the seal, greased the seal and replaced the seal. It would last for a few weeks (of constant use) and then start loosing water again. This last time I replaced the ball valve and the seal. The ball valve is slightly larger and now goes well past the edge of the seal. So far, it seems to be working. My suspicion is that the ball valve was redesigned after we took delivery of our units.

And just as an added item, the plastic front cover on the base is held on with Velcro. I looked for screws and didn't see any so just yanked, and voila, there it was.

John

happyrover

Leaky toilet seal

I have had the same problem with my seal occasionally. I just have an old tooth brush that I clean the seal with and it works fine again.

By the way JP, I just can't believe you just yanked the front off your toilet !!!!! Not from frustration I hope. Just kidding JP. One other note! Thanks to your advise on the 12V 10 watt halogen lites, I now own 40 of them at .51 cents each. Bought from 1000 bulbs on Goggle. It hasn't been a loss though, the folks in the park here are buying them from me for 1.25 each.

Mel (HappyRover)NoneNone

soilmovers

Has anyone had their toilet seal on the dometic sealand toilet completely fail? We have, won't hold water for even a few seconds, drains right out.

If so, have you contacted Dometic for a replacement...what was their response?

Thanks...

Ours failed even with special cleaning.
A call to Dometic offered some do it yourself repair ideas with no luck.

Dometic sent the replacement parts to a local dealer (arrived the next day). We paid to have someone come out to fix it. The part was under warranty but we paid for the service call. Well worth it!

Dometic stands behind their product- a good company.
Cindy

jpmorgan37

Hi Mel;

No frustration, just the old Mechanic in me. If it doesn't move-pull harder. The silly thing would wiggle and flex, so I figured glue, silicone or velcro. It was the latter of the three and off it came.

sjrellis

Ours has recently been draining dry. I was trying in my non-plumber-educated way to see what the problem was. Not knowing what the parts are called...the doo-watchy that opens and closes...well, it wasn't closing all the way. So, I lifted the pedal like I was going to fill with water and I could see said-doo-watchy closed completely. So, we've just been lifting the pedal and all is good for now.

Now, what is the "doo-watchy" really called?

Forrest Fetherolf

Ours has recently been draining dry. I was trying in my non-plumber-educated way to see what the problem was. Not knowing what the parts are called...the doo-watchy that opens and closes...well, it wasn't closing all the way. So, I lifted the pedal like I was going to fill with water and I could see said-doo-watchy closed completely. So, we've just been lifting the pedal and all is good for now.

Now, what is the "doo-watchy"

sj,

Doo-watchy = flush ball valve

Forrest

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
UPDATE...one quick call to Dometic...they are sending replacement parts. They did, however, tell me they have had a problem with the Travel Lite 210 model, and have redesigned the seal and spring system. The new parts will not be like the originals and will take care of the problem! Can't ask for more than that.

They actually said..."you should have called earlier"...had I known it was a design problem I would have..DUH! Those of you with this model, still experiencing "slow leaks" should just call and get the new parts. 800-321-9886

Thanks for the info Tom Weber!!

seabee

I had a tech tell me the problem is you need to take your foot off fast to let it slam ,that would keep it sealed, we had it replaced buy dealer not had any more problems.