Shopping for our 1st RV

Kelly692

Hello ladies! I'm just so excited to be in the first phase of RV ownership. My husband and I have been to many rv shows the last couple of weeks just trying to decide what kind of camper we want to be. We have decided on a 5th wheel then narrowed it down to size and what features would be most important to us. We know for sure we wanted either a FRONT LIVING ROOM or a LARGE FRONT BATHROOM. After seeing the Big Country 3900 FLP, we think we may have found 'the one'! The number one advice (we talk with anyone who will give us the time) we have been getting is get bigger and more of what you think you will need. If any of you ladies own this model, I WOULD LOVE to hear your feedback/comments! Thanks in advanced!

Westwind

We have the standard rear living room set up our floor plan is 3070RL which isn't manufactured anymore. We snowbird in it 4 months a year and are very comfortable. It's important that you think about what type of traveling you will do with the FW and then try to picture yourself doing it with that length trailer and floor plan. My personal experience is that Heartland makes a good product, since it is made by humans it won't be perfect. Being handy and fixing some of the small stuff yourself will prevent the trailer being tied up at the dealer for weeks on end. The more time you spend on this forum you will realize that they also work with their customer's and stand behind their product in accordance with their warranty, but many times had helped Heartland owners after warranty.
Good luck with your hunt.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Nice looking rig for sure, but another thing to consider is your tow vehicle.
That's a big heavy rig so be sure that you have or get a truck that can handle it.
The spec weights are one thing, but after options and your personal gear those weights will go up.

Peace
Dave

VKTalley

Hello ladies! I'm just so excited to be in the first phase of RV ownership. My husband and I have been to many rv shows the last couple of weeks just trying to decide what kind of camper we want to be. We have decided on a 5th wheel then narrowed it down to size and what features would be most important to us. We know for sure we wanted either a FRONT LIVING ROOM or a LARGE FRONT BATHROOM. After seeing the Big Country 3900 FLP, we think we may have found 'the one'! The number one advice (we talk with anyone who will give us the time) we have been getting is get bigger and more of what you think you will need. If any of you ladies own this model, I WOULD LOVE to hear your feedback/comments! Thanks in advanced!

Hi Kelly! Welcome! My hubby and I just bought the Big Country 3950FB (front bath with half bath), trading in our Big Country 3690SL. We have only had our new rig a week but are already loving the front bath. You mentioned one thing that we always tell people when looking for an RV....find the model that works best for you and your lifestyle. Good luck in your hunt!

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
You will know you have found the right one when you walk in and feel like you have just come home. It's happened three times for us now, and surprised us each time.

Kristy

Jim.Allison

If I may interrupt you ladies. Amy and I hav ethe BC3650RL. We love it and everyone who looks at our coach loves it. If you are looking at the BCs then IMHO, you are on the right course, regarless of the configuration.

Be sure to do your homework on the tow vehicle or else you will wind up having to accommodate your TV all the time.

Gaffer

Hey Kelly take another look at the BC 3900. I haven't seen it but looking at the floor plan I was wondering if you can open the fridge and get to the bathroom with the slides in. Nice to be able to get to both for quick pit stops. Also look at counter space in the kitchen and bathroom. We looked long and hard at the BC 3650. It is a nice plan but by the time we added up all the options we wanted, it priced out close to the Bighorn because some of the BC options were standard on the Bighorn. Other BH things were not available on the BC. We ended up with the BH 3570 and love the big bath, lots of counter space in the kitchen and bathroom and the "walk in" pantry. Keep going back and spend some time just sitting in your favorite floor plans. You notice something different each time you visit them. Good luck and happy shopping!

Jim.Allison

We deleted the fireplace and got extra storage in its place. Not that there is shortage of storage in the BC to begin with. We found that in the South, there is no need for the fireplace, and if I do need the heat from it, I can buy a space heater at lowes that can easily take its place.

Kelly692

Thanks everyone for the input. Hubby will be retiring in a few years and we will be buying both, a tow vehicle and 5th wheel. So far, we have plenty of time to shop and research at a slower pace.

The first and foremost thing...BE handy with tools. All RV's require maintenance and in some cases repair, even if purchased NEW. ****

Last edited by a moderator:

Westwind

Allen hit it on the nail, unless you have very deep pockets you need a good tool box. You can find lots of information on this forum and the computer. This year I removed the wheels and service my brakes and re-packed my bearings with the help of a friend and you tube, I have never done anything like that in my 69 years. But to take it to a dealer would have cost me $400 - $600 and I really didn't want to spend that. It helped pay for fuel & 4 nights in a campground instead with my grand kids. I have had mobile service fix my hot water heater and I have have made more repairs and mods then I can remember right now.