Inverter Install Question

Redrider007

I'm new to the luxury Rvs and need to know how I would go about installing an inverter that would run my Tvs when I'm boondocking? I have a generator but really don't want to run that just to watch an occasional show.

Thanks for any help!!

wdk450

I installed an inverter big enough to run my microwave - 1500 watts. I also upped my battery system to 4 Group 24 deep cycle units. I got a "pure sine wave" type inverter off of E-Bay for less than $300. This type should work with any electronic devices. The "modified sine" inverters cause a lot of electronic devices to mess up. Since I have the generator prep option, I have a transfer switch in place in my AC feed wiring circuit. I just wired the inverter AC output to where the generator normally inputs AC into the transfer switch. I even wired a shadow "power on" switch in parallel with the inverter's own power switch, and ran the wiring for that to the power control center. I can switch on the inverter from there, and it supplies power to the whole rig. Be aware of what AC items are turned on when you go on inverter power. Make sure any high current items are off (Air Cond., water heater, microwave, refrig on AC), and turn off the individual breaker for the battery charger/converter (since using battery power to try to charge the batteries is just a waste of power).
The funny thing is that I have only boondocked a couple of times since I installed it.

scottyb

The simple solution is to run an extension cord to the TV. The next is to wire a dedicated receptacle. This is what I did for the wine fridge. I went straight up from the basement into the space behind the bedroom drawers. I installed the receptacle on the side of the drawers toward the stairs. I was able to power the TV, Dish, a fan, and the wine fridge off of that receptacle. I started with 2 6V batteries but ended up with 4 6V. The optimum way is to get an inverter/charger with it's own ATS, and move the circuits you want it to power, to a sub panel.

Jim.Allison

You will want to put the inverter as close to the batts as possible, like 5 feet. The installation instructions will detail it for you. You can probably get a look at the installation instructions on the manufacturers website. Xantrex has the installation for 1000 watt inverters in a PDF on their website. Xantrex.com. I dont know where your TV is located in relation to your first available But you can do it the easy way and just run your inverter 120v to the panel, but you have to remember to manually choose between pedestal and your inverter. Which should not be difficult if you only using it to boondock. IF you have a DC outlet near your TV, then you can probably get away with 750 to 1000 watts. Doing this will keep your cost down and keep the inverter more portable. A setup like mine requires a subpanel, But I can run everything except air conditioning. So it can be as easy as you want it to be or a difficult as you can stand, but a simple system for a TV should be fairly easy. Just remember that DC does not travel as well as AC. So the wire that feeds the inverter needs to be short and the 120v will make the long run with smaller wire.

My whole home theater uses less than 10 amps from my batts. That includes the TV, BlueRay, 500 watt receiver and a subwoofer. A single deep cycle rv/marine batt with a 100 ah rating would run my system for about 4 to 5 hours before needing to be recharged.

I'm new to the luxury Rvs and need to know how I would go about installing an inverter that would run my Tvs when I'm boondocking? I have a generator but really don't want to run that just to watch an occasional show.

Thanks for any help!!

Redrider007

My RV is a 2015 Bighorn 3010-I'm a little confused on what you mean by the Pedestal? Also would my panel need to be changed or would it accept the inverter as is? My primary thought was to mount the inverter in the basement and run separate wiring to dedicated outlets to the Tvs-I'm just not sure if I can make the run the full length to the TV since in my rig the big tv is in the very rear-I'm hoping I can run a fish wire the length and pull the wires through. I am thinking of a 1000 watt inverter. I would like to avoid having to shut down certain breakers whenever we want to turn the TV on.

scottyb

My RV is a 2015 Bighorn 3010-I'm a little confused on what you mean by the Pedestal? Also would my panel need to be changed or would it accept the inverter as is? My primary thought was to mount the inverter in the basement and run separate wiring to dedicated outlets to the Tvs-I'm just not sure if I can make the run the full length to the TV since in my rig the big tv is in the very rear-I'm hoping I can run a fish wire the length and pull the wires through. I am thinking of a 1000 watt inverter. I would like to avoid having to shut down certain breakers whenever we want to turn the TV on.

He is talking about the electrical pedestal for shore power. Running wiring the length of the coach is always a challenge unless you go outside along the frame. You already have wiring going back there. You could accomplish the same thing using the existing wiring, with an inverter that has a built-in transfer switch. You just need to move the breaker for the entertainment center to a sub panel. The sub panel can be installed anywhere that is convenient. You just have to re-route the wiring for that circuit to the sub panel. The inverter would pass through shore power when plugged in, and would switch to inverted power when unplugged. You could add as many circuits to the sub panel as your inverter can handle. The empty slot created in the main panel allows you to put a 30A breaker to supply the AC power the inverter. There are several people on this forum that have done this mod with photos and a tutorial. Here is an example of a factory install. You can see the breaker for the inverter in the center of the main panel. The inverter either passes it through or supplies inverted power to the sub panel.

Attachments

• IMAG0443.jpg
    IMAG0443.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 98
  • IMAG0441.jpg
    IMAG0441.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 74
  • IMAG0442.jpg
    IMAG0442.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 74

danemayer

Maybe someone can draw a diagram to show what devices get connected to what to add an inverter and a sub-panel.

Redrider007

Would I still need a separate transfer switch having a generator that is hooked up to one? Are we talking battery to inverter-inverter to 30 amp breaker (You say 30amp breaker to supply AC to inverter) Sorry to sound dumb but what am I missing because my thought is DC is powering the inverter correct? Then breaker to sub panel?

scottyb

Would I still need a separate transfer switch having a generator that is hooked up to one? Are we talking battery to inverter-inverter to 30 amp breaker (You say 30amp breaker to supply AC to inverter) Sorry to sound dumb but what am I missing because my thought is DC is powering the inverter correct? Then breaker to sub panel?

I am speakeing of an inverter / charger. It also replaces your current converter to charge your batteries. When you are plugged into shore power, the AC from the 30A breaker passes through the inverter and feeds the sub panel. The inverter becomes a converter and charges the batteries, using part of the AC power from the 30A breaker. When shore powere is removed, the inverter automatically switches to the 12V from the batteries and continues to supply AC to the sub panel. The inverter has a transfer switch built in, that switches between shore power and battery power and it is so fast, you probably will not see your TV flicker. Your ATS for the generator would continue to function the same as always and only comes into play if you start the generator. Then it supplies power to the 30A breaker, which supplies power to the inverter, which passes it through to the sub panel, and the inverter continues to charge the batteries. :cool:

There is an excellent installation diagram on page 9 of the Magnum MS Series Owner's Manual.

Redrider007

Thank you for the info and help-The people in this forum are unbelievably helpful and I have always gotten responses from my posts.

brianharrison

Here is a cartoon schematic of an inverter installation with sub panel. The inverter in this installation is a larger (3000W) and has AC pass through capabilities - i.e. when on shore power the AC is fed from the main AC panel and "passes through" the inverter to the sub panel. When no shore power and therefore no AC to the inverter - it automatically switches to inverting mode - taking 12VDC (batteries), inverting to 120V AC and feeding the sub panel with AC power.

This is a larger system, with more advanced components - there are simpler systems.

I have included the link to my install a couple of years ago. Click here.

Hope this helps,
Brian

Attachments

• Voltage_Electrical_After.jpg
    Voltage_Electrical_After.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 81