Adding Wireless Switch for Bedroom Lights

Oregon_Camper

Has anyone had any luck with finding (then installing) a wireless switch to provide a 2nd location for light switch?

The light switch for our bedroom in our Bighorn in about knee level and in line with the door (when opened)...so it is really hard to get to it.

I want to add a wireless switch to mount somewhere easy to access.

Anyone do this?

Az_Ernie

Has anyone had any luck with finding (then installing) a wireless switch to provide a 2nd location for light switch?

The light switch for our bedroom in our Bighorn in about knee level and in line with the door (when opened)...so it is really hard to get to it.

I want to add a wireless switch to mount somewhere easy to access.

Anyone do this?
We feel your pain! I don't think they could have found a more inconvenient place to locate the bedroom light switch if they had tried. A wireless switch is a very good idea. Good luck!

Last edited:

jbeletti

IN the BH3160EL you guys have, other than the height (too low from your comments), is the wall the switch is on now, the best place if the switch was just mounted higher?

Sorry that I'm not familiar with this layout. But curious if the fix is to remount the switch on the same wall, yet at a convenient height, then put a blank wall plate or similar over the spot where the old switch was.

Can you take a picture of where this switch is located now? A picture where you've taken a couple steps back from the switch so it's location can be seen in context.

Oregon_Camper

Can you take a picture of where this switch is located now? A picture where you've taken a couple steps back from the switch so it's location can be seen in context.

Here ya go.... Thinking this over, I might just swap the electrical outlet with the switch. I'll need a new switch plate, but that should be easy enough. However, a nice wireless switch, at eye level on the side of the TV cabinet would be awesome.

First one is with the bedroom door open...if you look REALLY hard you can see a bit of the plate (right of power outlet) for the switch.

2015-04-05 13.24.22a.jpg

Here is how is looks when with the door out of the way.
2015-04-05 13.24.57a.jpg

Az_Ernie

IN the BH3160EL you guys have, other than the height (too low from your comments), is the wall the switch is on now, the best place if the switch was just mounted higher?

Sorry that I'm not familiar with this layout. But curious if the fix is to remount the switch on the same wall, yet at a convenient height, then put a blank wall plate or similar over the spot where the old switch was.

IMHO, the best place for this switch would be about four or five feet up from the floor on the bathroom wall just to your left upon entering the bedroom. My second choice would be directly above the power outlet on the top cabinet shown in Oregon_Camper's photo.

Garypowell

I think the door seems to be the biggest problem so switching them around would be the simplest solution.

I I would just use a brown residential switch. Not being a real electrician I am not sure but there might be differences between ac and doc switch but with the small amp draw of the lights it should not be a problem. I have used several ac switches in my rig with no difficulty.

In in the bedroom closet I set up a three way circuit so we can turn the 2 closet lights off and on no matter which door we are using.

jbeletti

IMHO, the best place for this switch would be about four or five feet up from the floor on the bathroom wall just to your left upon entering the bedroom. My second choice would be directly above the power outlet on the top cabinet shown in Oregon_Camper's photo.

I agree! I spoke with Kary, the GM for Bighorn and he will be working with engineering and production on trying to get this switch moved to that radius wall on future production. This doesn't do anything for those who don't like where it's at now, but I just wanted to share with the community that we do hear you and we do try to make improvements.

This all said, personally, I am a tinkerer and as another owner mentioned here already, I'd replace the existing switch with a 3-way, get a second 3-way and add it to the radius wall. I'd probably bring the wire up from the basement, into the bathroom vanity. Then I'd core a 3/4" hole into the radius wall inside the vanity and using a fish tape or similar see how far up I could push it. Probably only need to go a foot, maybe 2 above the counter top height. If I could get it up as high as I'd want a switch, then I'd cut a hole for the switch on the radius wall in the bedroom and fish the wire between the switch hole and the hole I made under the vanity.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
Just be very careful as that radius wall has supprts that run crosswise between the studs.
I agree! I spoke with Kary, the GM for Bighorn and he will be working with engineering and production on trying to get this switch moved to that radius wall on future production. This doesn't do anything for those who don't like where it's at now, but I just wanted to share with the community that we do hear you and we do try to make improvements.

This all said, personally, I am a tinkerer and as another owner mentioned here already, I'd replace the existing switch with a 3-way, get a second 3-way and add it to the radius wall. I'd probably bring the wire up from the basement, into the bathroom vanity. Then I'd core a 3/4" hole into the radius wall inside the vanity and using a fish tape or similar see how far up I could push it. Probably only need to go a foot, maybe 2 above the counter top height. If I could get it up as high as I'd want a switch, then I'd cut a hole for the switch on the radius wall in the bedroom and fish the wire between the switch hole and the hole I made under the vanity.

jbeletti

Just be very careful as that radius wall has supprts that run crosswise between the studs.

For sure - that's why I'd try to fish up the radius from under the vanity "before" I cut a hole in the wall for a switch. When the fish tape hits a support, that's likely as high as you'll get a switch mounted.

2psnapod2

Jim, I knew you knew, I was letting anyone else trying this hoping not to end up with a hole that was not usable. When I was working in the heating field, once I cut into a wall to find an old pocket door. What a surprise! Made running that heat duck pretty un-doable.

jbeletti

Jim, I knew you knew, I was letting anyone else trying this hoping not to end up with a hole that was not usable. When I was working in the heating field, once I cut into a wall to find an old pocket door. What a surprise! Made running that heat duck pretty un-doable.

It's all good Michael - thanks for pointing this out. What is the saying, measure twice, cut once? :)

Semi-related, in my previous Cable TV career, one of our installers installed a wall-plate and cable jack on an interior wall. Not sure where he was coming from (another room perhaps). Anyway, he drilled through the wall, a pocket door and the other side of the wall - ran the wire through and finished his job. Customer called us later - couldn't close pocket door. Oops!

Az_Ernie

Thanks, Jim. It's nice to see that Heartland is listening to their customers concerns. Also thanks to Oregon_Camper for bringing this problem to Heartland's attention.

Oregon_Camper

Thanks, Jim. It's nice to see that Heartland is listening to their customers concerns. Also thanks to Oregon_Camper for bringing this problem to Heartland's attention.

Glad to help. I'm still a newbie on this forum, so I'm trying to add value where I can.

...now if Heartland wants to...say...provide a free switch install, to Ernie and myself, I'm sure that would be fine. :)

jbeletti

Glad to help. I'm still a newbie on this forum, so I'm trying to add value where I can.

...now if Heartland wants to...say...provide a free switch install, to Ernie and myself, I'm sure that would be fine. :)

If I meet you at a campground - I'd love to help you install it :)

2psnapod2

Them darn pocket doors, who needs them anyhow! LOL
It's all good Michael - thanks for pointing this out. What is the saying, measure twice, cut once? :)

Semi-related, in my previous Cable TV career, one of our installers installed a wall-plate and cable jack on an interior wall. Not sure where he was coming from (another room perhaps). Anyway, he drilled through the wall, a pocket door and the other side of the wall - ran the wire through and finished his job. Customer called us later - couldn't close pocket door. Oops!

Az_Ernie

If I meet you at a campground - I'd love to help you install it :)
Thanks for the offer of help, but I think I'll have to wait a bit until some of the new wears off before Marie lets me drill holes in our new rig!

However, as Oregon_Camper suggested and Heartland was to foot the bill for a professional install, I may be able to talk her into it! :)