traveling with water

scrapdawg

hello! new member here! i have a 2014 prowler lynx 25lx we bought new in July 2013, our first travel trailer! love it! we take it out at least 8 times a season, wish we could more but work schedules hold us back right now..anyways i have a stupid question here, will this particular trailer handle and be safe traveling long distance with a full tank of water?! a couple of camp sites we go to doesnt have water hook up and have to fill the tank up from a facet with 250 foot of hose at the camp ground.... thanks

danemayer

Hi scrapdawg,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. Nice to hear that you're getting so much use out of your RV.

In theory you ought to be able to travel with a full tank of water. There are a few things to consider however. Water is around 8 lbs / gallon. So you'll be adding a lot of weight which will be expensive in terms of fuel cost. It may also change the balance on the hitch and affect handling of the trailer.

If roads are rough, you'll want to go slow. Bouncing a full tank of water down the road could put a lot of stress on the tank mounts.

scrapdawg

Thanks, not to worried bout fuel cost, but was thinking about tank mounts,handling and the extra weight on the axles.. It's only a 40 gallon tank plus 6 gallon water heater. That's about 368 extra pounds. Most roads in oklahoma suck around here lol... I know my 2001 Dodge Ram 3500 daully with the cummins can handle the extra weight, just curious about the trailer lol

travis_g

Often you can find places near to your campsite that will allow you to fill your water takes for$5-10.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Be careful filling and traveling with your water tanks full . . . that might be all it takes to overload your trailer!

jnbhobe

We travel with full water at all times, never know where we're stopping. I have a heavy 2 X 4 steel tube bolted across the frame under the water tank.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
We travel with some water at all times. If we know we're dry camping over the next few days and am unsure about the availability of potable water we'll fill and travel with a full FW tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scrapdawg

Thanks for the input yall, guess I should crawl underneath the trailer and see if I can put some extra support for my water tank and find some scales to weigh the trailer with a full load of water to see how much the trailer weighs

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
There are stories out there where tanks do come off but I do not recall a Heartland owner ever posting a story about it. We boondock a lot and I use our rig when I go hunting. We end up on many rutted dirt roads. Honestly it has never crossed my mind that I should be concerned with having a full fresh water tank. I would think that the tank straps are there during initial construction and that they secure the tank in by some other means when completing each rig. Maybe a Heartland rep can comment on this.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
There are stories out there where tanks do come off but I do not recall a Heartland owner ever posting a story about it. We boondock a lot and I use our rig when I go hunting. We end up on many rutted dirt roads. Honestly it has never crossed my mind that I should be concerned with having a full fresh water tank. I would think that the tank straps are there during initial construction and that they secure the tank in by some other means when completing each rig. Maybe a Heartland rep can comment on this.

My comments above are not due to worry about how secure the tanks are to the trailer, but about over loading the trailer itself.

That is a major consideration with these ligher weight bumper pull trailers.

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
My comment was to help the OP not refute anything you commented on. Even so, your concern is not mine either as the wife and I know what we need and do not take anymore than that. I have scaled the trailer with all the tanks full plus our gear and we still had room for stuff. On the occasions where we need the gens and firewood, my otherwise empty pickup takes up the slack.

Lynn1130

I get about the same mileage whether I have a full tank or not. I just don't see a need to haul 800 lbs more up the mountain out of here if there is going to be water available where I am going. Just a habit I guess from the smaller trailer and the gasser days. I do carry a full load of water when we are boon docking or hunting.

scrapdawg

I get about the same mileage whether I have a full tank or not. I just don't see a need to haul 800 lbs more up the mountain out of here if there is going to be water available where I am going. Just a habit I guess from the smaller trailer and the gasser days. I do carry a full load of water when we are boon docking or hunting.
Most places I go or thinking about going has water in several areas in the campground. I carry 300ft of hose I use to fill up tank after I set up. Just hate dragging hose around in Oklahoma summer heat when I rather skip that step and be in the lake lol

caissiel

I travel with 35 to70 gals of water all the time. Some trips of 3000 miles.
Never worry about mileage air drag is much more problem for me then weight.
On TTs you need to know the location of the water tank. It could cause a un balance.
My unit has it over the axles.