Family Safe Thanks To Good Samaritans

olcoon

Good thing those guys were there! From the looks of the victim at the first of the video his way of dealing with an emergency & stress is exactly like my ex-wife and daughter. "When in danger or doubt, run in circles, scream and shout". But later it said he was trying to put the fire out...while his wife & daughter were still inside?

jbeletti

Saw this online yesterday. They are SO lucky to have had this RV repairman stop. He knew what to do.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bohemian

And he knew just how dangerous our RVs are in the case of fire.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
My husband had a similar experience when the box truck he was driving had a rear inner dual blowout on the interstate. By the time he got to the side of the road, the tire and wheel-well were on fire. The fire extinguisher in the cab was not adequate to put out the fire, so the box and contents (High School Band equipment) received significant fire and smoke damage while waiting for the fire department (the truck was totaled.)

Jim.Allison

Yes that will definitely be first on my list is to review the emergency escapes before using my rig this summer. Fire Drill !!!!!!

Question? Can one use the emergency exits without damaging them? Can one practice with them?

whp4262

Yes that will definitely be first on my list is to review the emergency escapes before using my rig this summer. Fire Drill !!!!!!

Question? Can one use the emergency exits without damaging them? Can one practice with them?

I open and close my exits occasionally to make sure they don't get stuck where the kids can't open them. So far it hasn't caused any problems.

MCTalley

I consider us fortunate when we had our second bearing failure on the previous trailer in the middle of Phoenix on I-17. We were waved down by passing motorists. I stopped and walked back to see not only smoke emanating from around the wheel, but flames licking up the inside of the tire. I ran around, flung the trailer door open, grabbed the extinguisher off the wall, ran back and had the flames put out in seconds.

As full-timers, I can't imagine standing on the side of the road and watching everything we own go up in flames, but I'm glad I was able to get the fire out quickly and safely.

OBX_Raineys

Not sure about all RV's but my last three only came with a B C rated extinguisher. That is only for flammable liquids (class B) and is safe for use on electricity (class C). These will not be effective for other materials, including tires. Everyone should invest in a decent size A B C type extinguisher. I suggest a "10 lb." size. Class A is for "ordinary combustibles, as in wood, plastic, clothing, furniture and other solid materials. They may be a bit bulky, but well worth having. I have one in my storage area and one inside the RV.

A few other safety tips:

Extinguishers are for small fires.
Don't try to be hero. Get everyone out before trying to fight the fire.
Call 911 right away.
Extinguishers have an effective range of several feet, so you don't need to be as close to the fire as you think.
Try not to let the fire get between you and your exit.
Never enter a burning RV (or any structure) to save material items.
Have and practice a fire escape plan at home and on the road.

Travel safely!

Last edited: