A ladder for maintenance?

StrongJava

Hello--

We will start full-timing in about three months. I was considering carrying my 6' ladder to reach the top on each side, but when my ladder broke (again) today, I realized I might instead need an 8'. But then I started thinking, I could simply step down on the tops of the slide-outs to reach the high spots. Then I pictured myself falling through the top onto the couch. Hmmm, maybe not a good idea.

I'm curious. Do others stand on top of the slide outs to work on the high spots? Or carry a ladder?

Looking for the thoughts of others.

Cheers, Tim

jbeletti

Tim - it's not a good idea to stand on the slide room tops.

As for ladders, consider a 12 foot telescopic/collapsible ladder.

Jim.Allison

I'm going to costco tomorrow to look at the little giant ladders. I'm thinking that they have the versatility and utility to serve my needs when it comes to servicing and washing my fiver.

'Lil Guy'

I'm going to costco tomorrow to look at the little giant ladders. I'm thinking that they have the versatility and utility to serve my needs when it comes to servicing and washing my fiver.
I bought the biggest one in the heavy duty range. Very solid and will give you 11 feet with the step ladder you can also set one leg at a right angle which is convenient for raching the front cap top. Be on notice, it's heavy till you get you use to it. Ipaid about $500 .00 for mine and wish I had gotten a lighter ladder.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
Werner makes a ladder that is just about the same as the Little Giant. At more than half the price. Check them out in the Home Depot or Lowes, I forget which on I bought mine at. I went with the middle of the range one. And so far I have been able to do anything I need to with it. And I do most of my own cleaning and repairs. It is just over 4 foot long when collapsed and fits in my truck with no issues. I am not a believer in stuff hanging off the ladder of an RV, but many do it and it would fit just fine back there also.

download.jpg

donr827

Tim - it's not a good idea to stand on the slide room tops.

As for ladders, consider a 12 foot telescopic/collapsible ladder.
I thought that the slide roof was strong enough to hold someone. What is the reason not to stand on the slide.
Don

jbeletti

I thought that the slide roof was strong enough to hold someone. What is the reason not to stand on the slide.
Don

Don,

The structure of the slide rooms is such that the outer long wall is the same structure as the rest of the outside wall of your coach. Very strong.

The two narrow end walls and the roof are thinner than that long outer wall. And, there's no vertical studs supporting the ceiling where you enter the slide room. I just wouldn't count on the header that spans the length of the slide behind the horisontal fascia to be up to the task of supporting a man walking on that slide roof.

Now this is just me. Others may have personal experience in this and have found it safe. Hopefully someone whill weigh in on thier experience.

jbeletti

I just checked with someone at the LM/BH/BC plant and learned the following:

We use ½" OSB on slide room roofs. The ends of the slide room roof "should" support you but if it’s a long slide room, stay off the part of the roof closest to the main unit as there's little vertical support there.

The above said, it's not Heartland's official position - just comments from a production employee. Out of an abundance of caution, I'd suggest not walking on slide room roofs.

StrongJava

Thank you for following up with this. Pretty much confirms what I suspected. Obviously the floor is constructed to hold our weight, but the rest may simply be made to hold its own weight.

I guess I'll buy a new ladder.

Tim

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
Werner makes a ladder that is just about the same as the Little Giant. At more than half the price. Check them out in the Home Depot or Lowes, I forget which on I bought mine at. I went with the middle of the range one. And so far I have been able to do anything I need to with it. And I do most of my own cleaning and repairs. It is just over 4 foot long when collapsed and fits in my truck with no issues. I am not a believer in stuff hanging off the ladder of an RV, but many do it and it would fit just fine back there also.

View attachment 35846

I have this same ladder and it is excellent.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
For a while, I was carrying a 13 ft. knock-off of the Little Giant in the basement, but it was a bit cumbersome to wrestle in and out. So now I have the 12.5 ft. Extend'n'Climb. Easier to store/retrieve, and it gets me as high as I need to work on the caps or sidewalls. For getting on the roof, I still use the rear ladder.

teasac69

I have this same ladder and it is excellent.

I too use this one from Lowe's and it works just like a Little Giant, lets me get up to blow my slides off (with a battery powered blower) and also hang lights or trim limbs or anything I need height to reach. fits well in my front locker.

HornedToad

I've been able to use my toy hauler garage bunk ladder to access the sides/slides or change light blubs.
I just throw a towel over the hooks so it doesn't mar the fiberglass. One less thing to buy/break/carry!!!

That's a good reason to switch to a TH.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
For cleaning the sides and tops of the slides, it's a good height (price scares me, though). For getting on the roof of a 5th wheel, not so good.
'
It does have a good weight rating.
•Supports up to 330 lbs. at a 75º angle

Groupon goods has free shipping, free returns and a 14 day return policy so the price should not be too scary.