bad experience trying to mount a grill rail...

only1stegall

Master Modifier
I was unsure where to post this, please relocate if necessary...

So I decided I wanted a fancy grill rail beside the outdoor kitchen on my new north trail 33tbud....

I did some research on installing the rail and didn't have much luck so I just went for it. Used some 2inch RV screws I had leftover from something else used some non hardening butyl tape behind it and screwed it right in everything looked perfect that is until I hung the grill on it and the whole thing just hit the ground, pulling all 4 screws out through the fiberglass leaving some nice holes.....

20150401_182835.jpg

The sheet rock screw you see there i was only using to try something different....

After throwing a few tools and learning some new cusswords I ended up taking the bunks inside completely apart to access the area where the screws went in so I could add a plywood backing plate and using some long screws I was able to fix it...

20150401_190831.jpg

My question is, is there a certain type of fastner that is designed for use on the outter skin on a coach to prevent this from happening???

jbeletti

Unless you know you have a backer of some sort inside the wall, I'm not sure there's any fastener that would have worked to give you the vertical loading stength you needed for the grill. Your backer method in the bunk area is going to provide the best support possible.

I think it comes down to the thickness of the exterior siding on the RV and the composition of what's behind the exterior siding. Neither of which are in your favor (thin exterior/sheathing and high-density foam).

I say you did well. Enjoy your mod and don't melt the side of the camper :)

only1stegall

Master Modifier
You are exactly right Jim, thin walls and foam behind them.

The grill mount puts the actual grill about 14 inches away from the side of the rv.... Heat didn't seem to be an issue.

jbeletti

You are exactly right Jim, thin walls and foam behind them.

The grill mount puts the actual grill about 14 inches away from the side of the rv.... Heat didn't seem to be an issue.

Cool. What grill are you using? I've always fancied a way that I could more easily store, deploy and use my Weber Q. Heavy little buggers though. The top and bottom shells are thick aluminum and the cooking grate is cast iron. Doub't I could hang that on the side of the coach.

only1stegall

Master Modifier
It is a flame king I believe.... I modified the rear carrier to work with my charcoal grill. It will still hang on there but just wanted the added option of hanging it on the side also. Should have left well enough alone because I don't even for see myself using the gas grill much, as I prefer charcoal!

20150321_151459.jpg

20150321_182834.jpg

jbeletti

So when bumper mounted, you have a charcoal grill back to back with a propane grill? Cool! I'd love the charcoal grill just to smoke food in.

only1stegall

Master Modifier
Yes the charcoal box is mounted permanent. It just swings back and locks in place for travel. The gas burner pops off and stores in a bag inside. It was perfectly fine with out the mount rail on the side of the camper I was just looking for something to piddle with !