Looking at air bags

bigdob24

I'm considering air bags on my 2014 F 350 DRW 4/4
Its kinda a toss up between Air Lift and Firestone. May just boil down to price.
Not sure if I will go onboard compressed or just manual inflate.
My concern is installation.
I have tinkered with stuff all my life and have all the tools needed.Looking for info from people who have done there own install, good or bad.
Thanks
Dan

bdb2047

I did my own ,Air Lift. Only issue was with bracket for DEF line but not much,been awhile just had to do with bolt and bracket.About 2 hrs did not have to jack truck up.

Firestone hands down

Did my own install on dodge ram 2500 very easy install, manual inflation no air compressor at this time.

Garypowell

I only have SRW and am tinkerer like you. It has been a while but I did not even have to jack the truck up. Fairly straight forward install.

should have mentioned....Firestones.

Rrloren

I installed my Firestones with no problem a couple yrs. ago. No drilling needed on my installation . If I remember right less than two hrs. Taking my time.

DocFather

I did my own ,Air Lift. Only issue was with bracket for DEF line but not much,been awhile just had to do with bolt and bracket.About 2 hrs did not have to jack truck up.

I have had both and have been please with both. I have Air Lift right now.

mountainlovers76

Mississippi Chapter Leaders
I added the Firestone bags myself without any problem. Took between 2 - 3 hours if I remember correctly. I did not add the compressor but I will on my next truck.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
AirLift system. 3-4 hour install. Probably 1/2 that time if we would have cut out all the BSing. No compressor. Separate filler valves back to the license plate to fill off the compressor in the front compartment of 5er.

Cjackg

I installed AirLift on my new Chevy truck but find it is almost not needed as the Cyclone barely compresses the springs. AirLift has a good quality product and great customer service, usually for a better price.

I opted to go simple with no compressor & extra tubing and guages. No regrets.. simply air it up with small pump when ready to roll... never a leak!

Yrs ago I had the full blown setup and a leak developed that was near impossible to trace with all the tubing running all over the frame underneath!

Just my experience...

Geodude

I installed one side of some Ride-Rites on the weekend. Apparently I have the wrong bracket in my kit for the left side, so am currently awaiting another bracket from Firestone. I have to say that the instructions leave a lot to be desired (which I read somewhere ahead of time); there's one page of diagrams and one page of coarse instructions. At one point I found I had followed the instructions to the letter but the bag wasn't sitting properly. I called their tech support line and they told me to do exactly the opposite of what the instructions said. Sounded odd to me but it worked.

It can be a bit tight working under the truck, being a bit of a contortionist helps. So does a creeper to scoot in and out on, and air tools. Also, you need to be able to remove the main bolt from the 5th wheel frame rail brackets to fasten the top of the bracket with the same bolt.

I've read nothing but good things about the Ride-Rites, once they're installed!

MagnoliaTom

I installed air lift 5000 on my f250. Only used basic hand tools. Took me about 2 hours to install them. I ran the lines through the license plate (separate lines) and inflate with compressor from the fifth wheel

jbeletti

Good discussion here on air bags. I have the Air Lift bags on my F450. I didn't install them - Classy Chassis did.

I have the wireless control system and compressor. I really like the ability to add air or dump air at the touch of an in-cab controller. While my controller is wireless, I'd be just as happy with non-wireless system that had an in-cab gauge and air/dump switch. The in-cab gauge/switch I believe require running an air line and more wires into the cab whereas the wireless control system is just that - a wireless controller I clip to the visor that's a little thicker than a garage door opener.

I can however, see the benefit of "keeping it simple" by having only a manual fill, no compressor and no wireless controller, wiring etc.

Just yesterday, I replaced the "manifold" for my Air Lift sytem. I bought a refurb from Air Lift. The refurb was still expensive ($162 delivered). Once I replaced the manifold, I had to pair (join) the wireless controller to it.

AirLift Manifold - 2.jpg

If anyone's curious as to the install process for the Air Lift "Gen 3 Kit 72000" or wants to look at the quality of the docs - here's a link.

dbbls59

I installed Air Lift on my F350 dually. I have the factory 5th wheel prep and installing the right one was very easy and quick. The left one however was a bear. The right one went on in about one hour, the left one took about 5 hours. There just wasn't room to get my fingers in there. Had to tape the nut to an end wrench and stick it in a slot about 3/8 of an inch wide. Then try to get it aligned with the bolt. It was a time consuming job. I inflate mine manually with the valves in the license plate holes.

Kosanko

I installed the Firestone Ride-Rite on mine, and found that I had a lot more room and it was much easier removing the rear duals and did the complete job in about 4 hours, three hours on the left side and one hour on the right...

rpotter

I installed the Firestone ride-rite with the airlift wireless one onboard compressor on my 2015 F350 SRW diesel. Drop the spare tire, will save a ton of time, make it much easier to reach stuff and save your back. Watched a couple of excellent videos that helped big time. Took me about 12 hours over 3 days. I am very fussy and take my time. Also running the compressor wire to the fuse box under the hood took some time. Best location for compressor was above the spare tire on the front cross brace. Well out of the splash zone. I added an air valve for manual inflation under the hitch just in case the remote batteries died or if the onboard compressor ever failed. Finally, if your in the northern states or canada, add some air brake antifreeze to the air bags before connecting the air lines. Will prevent ice in the lines come winter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Oregon_Camper

Newbie Alert....Newbie Alert....

At what point do you consider adding air bags? This is our first 5th wheel and my F-350 seems to handle the weight fine. Tows great...better than my last bumper pull???

What do I need to look for? I'd rather make sure I have this all this done right vs towing it for a year then finding out somehow.

jbeletti

Newbie Alert....Newbie Alert....

At what point do you consider adding air bags? This is our first 5th wheel and my F-350 seems to handle the weight fine. Tows great...better than my last bumper pull???

What do I need to look for? I'd rather make sure I have this all this done right vs towing it for a year then finding out somehow.

Great question.

Usually, air bags are added to return the truck to, or near to it's unloaded ride height. Doing this can provide better clearances between the truck and the RV, better travel for the truck's rear tires and proper aiming of the headlights.

If your truck suspension and RV pin weight are such that you get minimal squat when hitched, you may not be a candidate for bags.

Others with more experience that me will weigh in here...