Four Simple Changes that Would Make a Big Difference!

WBG

WBGavin
Hi All,

First let me say that we are extremely pleased and proud of our 2014 3570RS Bighorn. Heartland makes the best 5th wheels on the market - Period. No other manufacturer has thought out all the little details that make RV Living really Easy and Fun!

Here are four ideas to make them even better:

1) The microwave vent can only be opened and closed from the outside, and in in the case of our unit, only by dragging out a ladder so that you can reach it - a pole or broom stick will simply not get the job done. Would be nice if this could be opened and closed from the inside.

2) Heartland must have hired the same electrical engineer that designed the 12 homes that we have purchased over the years (we moved around a lot). When it comes to the kitchen, there are simply not enough circuits. I suggest one 20 (possibly 15) amp for the fridge, one 20 amp for the microwave, one 20 amp for the outlets in the kitchen area for all the "Devices" that one may want to hook up - thought, not all at the same time, and one 20 amp circuit for the entertainment outlets.

3) Our "Country Rest Pillow Top - M15 332" mattress failed after about six weeks of use. The two body depressions formed where we sleep make it feel like we are sleeping in Death Valley. I know that no mattress will please everyone, but I think a better choice could be made.

4) And I know, this one is a bit pickey. The 3570 does not have a coat closet, but does have coat hooks on the street side of the unit, directly above the stairs. The problem is that the hand rail is also on the street side. This means it is covered with coats all the time (we camp in the spring and fall). Would not locating it to the opposite side be a better option? I know that the "inside" wall is not a robust as the outside wall on the street side, but I installed a second railing and it is working out just fine (and we really need its support). - Just a thought!

WBG

MCTalley

I've been impressed with the number of outlets in our kitchen. Just for external use - four duplex outlets (two under the cabinets to either side of the stove and two on the sides of the island). Ditto finding three duplex outlets in the entertainment cabinet above the TV.

Someone needs to invent a better microwave vent, for sure. That has long been the bane of RV'ers of pretty much every brand.

Agree on the mattress.

Our unit has a coat closet next to the exterior door, though it could use a little bigger coat hooks (we purchased a couple on our own to replace the small ones the factory installed).

jjriker

Hi All,

1) The microwave vent can only be opened and closed from the outside, and in the case of our unit, only by dragging out a ladder so that you can reach it - a pole or broom stick will simply not get the job done. Would be nice if this could be opened and closed from the inside.

WBG

Not to take away from your suggestion, but just an idea for you with your current rig - My husband uses an awning pole rod to open and close the microwave vent. It has a hook on it that he can use to push or pull the little tab that locks the vent.

Bohemian

I've been impressed with the number of outlets in our kitchen. Just for external use - four duplex outlets (two under the cabinets to either side of the stove and two on the sides of the island). Ditto finding three duplex outlets in the entertainment cabinet above the TV.

Someone needs to invent a better microwave vent, for sure. That has long been the bane of RV'ers of pretty much every brand.

Agree on the mattress.

Our unit has a coat closet next to the exterior door, though it could use a little bigger coat hooks (we purchased a couple on our own to replace the small ones the factory installed).

"INVENT" is probably the wrong word (no insult intended). Even "ENGINEER" is probably a word too far. Designing a better vent is not a difficult task. All ,it takes is a simple decision to do it. Most of the work is already done as the current one already exists. Better would be a simple design modification.

happykraut

The new style vent can be left open if so desired. Mine has been open for two years now without any problems.

jbeletti

The new style vent can be left open if so desired. Mine has been open for two years now without any problems.

Same here. Left the new style vent open for 1.5 years on last coach. Vent is now open on the new coach too. These newer style vents don't seem to rattle much at all in wind either - like the standard flapper did.

By the way - RV vents do exist that use a push-pull system, from the inside. I've seen them online before. Probably be quite the hack to retrofit.

My personal opinion only, after using the new vent style going on 2-years - I'm completely okay leaving it in the closed, yet unlocked position. That said, I'm not entirely sure that it seals enough to prevent small flying bugs from getting in. But I saw no evidence of it in the last coach.

avvidclif

This new vent you are referring to; is it the one that has 2 tabs that have to be pushed up and out at the same time. Not the one with tabs at the corner you could manipulate with a pole. On mine I will have to carry a longer ladder just to reach it, grrr. It's abt 10' up.

I know on the older style if you left it open it would be gone. The new one doesn't come out???? If so I will unhook it and leave it open.

Also last I checked it was a Vent-A-Hood vent, not microwave, I think.

jbeletti

This new vent you are referring to; is it the one that has 2 tabs that have to be pushed up and out at the same time. Not the one with tabs at the corner you could manipulate with a pole. On mine I will have to carry a longer ladder just to reach it, grrr. It's abt 10' up.

I know on the older style if you left it open it would be gone. The new one doesn't come out???? If so I will unhook it and leave it open.

Also last I checked it was a Vent-A-Hood vent, not microwave, I think.

Right - the old style was the flapper door with the rotatable tabs in the 2 lower corners - the one that when left open, had a tendancy to be ripped off during travel. And they could make an awful rattle in the right wind.

The newer style (last coupel of years) has those tabs at the bottom that are really hard to open. Once open, I leave mine open as I can't reach it and a manual awning hook tool can't seem to actuate it from the ground either.

K

karykatz

WBG- thank you for your comments. As many have posted, the new microwave vent is a huge improvement over the last vent we used. Also- we have changed mattresses starting in January of this year. I know you will see a huge improvement in the new mattress. I love the idea about moving the hall way handle so the coat hooks are more accessible. As far as outlets, we are limited by code and available circuits we can use. I understand the importance of easy and access to outlets. I will get with engineering department and see if there is a way to improve our locations and number of outlets. Again - thank you for the comments and keep them coming so we can continue to improve our product. Our goal is to give you all the very best 5th wheel in the marketplace. We couldn't do it without all your input.

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
This thread reminds me very much of the lunch/owners-management meeting at the RV museum at the last rally in Goshen. A free flow of ideas/suggestions, some practical some not so much and a management team not only there but wanting to listen.

I have been accused of being a Heartland cheerleader and I will gladly wear that hat.

Way to go guys!!

Grampafish

Washington Chapter Leaders-Retired
WBG- thank you for your comments. As many have posted, the new microwave vent is a huge improvement over the last vent we used. Also- we have changed mattresses starting in January of this year. I know you will see a huge improvement in the new mattress. I love the idea about moving the hall way handle so the coat hooks are more accessible. As far as outlets, we are limited by code and available circuits we can use. I understand the importance of easy and access to outlets. I will get with engineering department and see if there is a way to improve our locations and number of outlets. Again - thank you for the comments and keep them coming so we can continue to improve our product. Our goal is to give you all the very best 5th wheel in the marketplace. We couldn't do it without all your input.

This kind of responsiveness is one of the things that differentiates Heartland from other brands. Thank you Kary for keeping tabs on the forum and posting your responses with action plans.

WBG

WBGavin
Hi!

I agree that the number of outlets is generous and well located. The problem is that they are only 15 amp, and are on the same circuit as the microwave. This means that if the microwave is in use, you will most likely trip the circuit breaker if you turn on the coffee pot or worse yet, turn on a toaster oven. A separate circuit would eliminate that problem.

WBG

Agree on the mattress.

Gaffer

You have a very large walk in pantry that could have a couple of hooks or even a rod. Glad to hear that the new units have a better mattress. We only got about 10 nights on ours before it went flat on one side. Thankfully we ordered the queen bed so we had all kinds of options for a replacement. Love the 3570. Best Heartland floor plan yet. The only thing I would change is the hall door swing to the bath so that you can open it going up the steps and I would have two sat cables to the entertainment center. Love all the kitchen and bath counter space and the big walk in pantry.

Westwind

This is the reason I would buy another Heartland FW in a snap, although I might benefit from improvements I admire the companies commitment to constant improvement. I do believe the owners and this forum contribute to it.

WBG

WBGavin
Not to take away from your suggestion, but just an idea for you with your current rig - My husband uses an awning pole rod to open and close the microwave vent. It has a hook on it that he can use to push or pull the little tab that locks the vent.

Great idea. Will try to borrow one some time and give it a try!

Thanks

WBG

WBG

WBGavin

Kary,

Thanks so much for responding to my ideas. This responsiveness really sets Heartland apart from the crowd.

With regard to the electrical circuits, if all that could be done was to separate the microwave feed from the outlets in the kitchen, that would solve 90% of the problem.

Great to hear that the vent issue and mattress issue have been resolved. Can we order a replacement mattress from Heartland?

Thanks again.

WBG

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Great idea. Will try to borrow one some time and give it a try!

Thanks

WBG

Same way I've been opening/closing mine for 6 years. It also comes in handy for pulling reluctant slide side gaskets into position when opening the slides.

avvidclif

Same way I've been opening/closing mine for 6 years. It also comes in handy for pulling reluctant slide side gaskets into position when opening the slides.

Problem is it won't work with the new style. They require 2 hands at the same time pushing up and out on the releases. No levers to move.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
Cody I am right there with you! THIS is the way good info gets to the manufacturer so they can make there products better!
This thread reminds me very much of the lunch/owners-management meeting at the RV museum at the last rally in Goshen. A free flow of ideas/suggestions, some practical some not so much and a management team not only there but wanting to listen.

I have been accused of being a Heartland cheerleader and I will gladly wear that hat.

Way to go guys!!