ATF: Gateway - Rear view cameras

1tandem

I am installing rear view safety cameras on my 3200RS. Will wire the rear camera into the top center clearance light. The 2 side cameras will be mounted just above the front side doors / left side is propane tanks & right side is storage. My question, where would you connect the side camera electric/power lines to RV? I want there to be power only when the clearance lights are on. Should be able to make connections in front compartment where the battery is located, but where?

THANKS

duckworth

Did you go ahead with the install? I would like to do the same; would love to have all three cameras. At the very least, I would like to have a backup camera. To power this one through the clearance light, how do you remove the clearance light in order to get to the wiring?

jimpav

WE have the same 3200RS, and would also like to install cameras. Can you tell us what brand you got, and the $$$?
I thought it would be nice to have a wireless camera on the back to hook up to my rand McNally GPS since there is already a video input on it.

I am installing rear view safety cameras on my 3200RS. Will wire the rear camera into the top center clearance light. The 2 side cameras will be mounted just above the front side doors / left side is propane tanks & right side is storage. My question, where would you connect the side camera electric/power lines to RV? I want there to be power only when the clearance lights are on. Should be able to make connections in front compartment where the battery is located, but where?

THANKS

My suggestion would be to follow the harness (that plugs into you truck). Surely the wire runs through the front storage bay somewhere. Then just tap into that, run a wire to the cameras (fused), and secure the wire so it doesn't get snagged by cargo or pinched in the door.

If you are having trouble finding the wire, you can unhook it from the truck and plug a toner into the wire. Toner is a base unit with alligator clips you grab onto the wire you want to trace and a wand that beeps when you get near the wire, anywhere along its length. You can get one of those at monoprice.Com pretty cheap. Then use the toner wand to find the wire to rap into.

As a side note for folks using wireless for rear camera, you may want to cinsider running a video cable from the back of the trailer up to the front of the cargo bay, and place the wireless transmitter up there. I am using the Tadi Brothers wireless setup with "improved range" and still get a fair amount of static at times (not too bad though) using a 35' 5th wheel.

- - - Updated - - -

WE have the same 3200RS, and would also like to install cameras. Can you tell us what brand you got, and the $$$?
I thought it would be nice to have a wireless camera on the back to hook up to my rand McNally GPS since there is already a video input on it.

I paid about $650 for the Tadi brothers dual rear cam, dual wireless transmitters, upgraded cameras with sound, video input selection box, and rear view mirror monitor. Unfortunate the rear view mirror monitor doesn't play sound so I havent been able to test that out.

As I said before, try to mount the transmitters closer to the truck if possible. If not, you'll have to tweak the antennas more to get them just right to minimize static.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Jim, if your Rand McNally has RCA video inputs, your could go with a wired camera for cheap using something like this along with the correct cable adapters.
Click on this link. [LINK]

Peace
Dave