Adding 3rd/4th Slide-Out Electrical Switch??

jbeletti

Anyone else use the slide-out switch that is mounted near the hydraulic pump to open their slides?

On almost every one of our 12 or so outings this year, on nearly every travel day, when we stop for lunch, I look for a and find a place where we can park, run out the dinette slide and have lunch in the trailer with the puppies.

I am usually on the edge of a mall parking lot, or in a safe spot at a truck stop etc. I isolate the bedroom and kitchen slides and use that second switch near the pump to run out the dinette slide.

I also use the switch near the pump to run out the slides when I am setting up at a campground and want to watch the off-door side slides go out to ensure they are clear of obstructions as I slowly run them out.

That all said, using that switch requires me to be half way inside my storage compartment. So, I am considering the installation of a 3rd and maybe a 4th rocker switch to be mounted just inside the side storage doors. This way, I can reach them from a standing position and see the slide action better.

I have seen ads for adding a remote control to the slide circuit but I really don't want yet another remote fob (already have 2 for truck, 1 for house and 1 for trailer awning - enough already). And I also don't want to spend that much money.

So, anyone done this modification before? I would think this would be a pretty straight forward electrical job. I would be safe and source a couple switches like Heartland uses in the coat closet for the slides. then put then in a flush mounted electrical box in the untility area bulkhead wall. Or maybe buy an umbilical style cord and add the switch to a small electrical box and use it as a corded remote.

Thoughts?

Jim

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
I have not done this, but I left a message eariler, asking what the white switch beside the pump is for. Thanks Adding another switch or two would be helpful.

dieselengineer

Charter Member
Lockout switch

Hey Jim
I know this is an really old post, however have you installed any switches?

I have installed an additional switch a few months ago for the same reasons as you stated. I camp in some very small sites and sometime you can not open all the slides or need to open them very slowly. The wiring mod is not hard. I also added a lockout so the slides can not open during travel. This should be a required item on all coaches.

jbeletti

trdeal, if yours is like mine, the white rocker switch is in fact another slide room switch.

DE,

I have the switch and wiring but have yet to do the mod. Ideally, I'd have the switch in a small weather sealed j-box with an 8' heavy rubber cable with a multi-pin plug that plugs in near the hitch.

Maybe someday. I'd liek to see yours. Maybe you can make the 2007 rally in Indiana.

Jim

Uncle Rog

I like the idea of the corded remote, going by memory it might be very easily set up with clips to the leads from the front bay switch...........