Inside Steps Handrail

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
Carol would like to have a handrail installed on the steps going from the kitchen up to the bedroom. I've searched several sites and googled looking for handrails but most all returns are on grab bars for the steps coming into the camper.

Anybody have a source or know of a site I can look at for "inside" handrails? I'd really like something sturdy enough for her to hold on to, but also look half way decent.

Thanks,

Keith

jbeletti

Keith - how about the same handle you have just inside your entrance door (if yours is like mine). Would that work or would it stick out into the stairway too much?

This item can be ordered from Heartland.

Regardless of what you find, bear in mind that to handle the weight a person may bring to bear on the handle, you will want it mounted securely to the wall.

On your Newport, if you mount it on the inside wall on the left side of the stairway on the way up, then you may want to pull the wall apart there to add some structure so you'll have a good backer to work with.

If you mount it on the outside wall on the right side of the stairway on the way up, you may get lucky and have a stud where you can catch at least 1 screw into - assuming the handle will be mounted on an angle to best facilitate stair climbing.

Another thought if you mount this on the outside wall...

What if you had a wood plank say 3" wide by 3/4" thick by x" long where you had this plank stained to match the interior and where the plank was screwed to the outer wall on angle, and where the ends of this plank of x" length were each screwed into a wall stud. Then you can mount your metal grab handle to the wood plank and know it's secure. Trouble with this method is the projection into the stairway. Any grab handle will stick out 1.5" to 2.5". Add the thickness of a board to that and you're into the stairway even more.

If you'll be at Dave's rally in Myrtle Beach - maybe we can knock heads together on this.

klindgren

Thanks for the suggestions Jim. I wouldn't mind putting the same type of handrail that we have just inside the door, but with the round base, I don't think I would have sufficient "wall stud" to mount it to securely. I have to mount it to the inside wall on the Newport (the wall common with the 1/2 bath/office) because the outside wall is all cabinets. The distance between the two walls would not allow me (I think) sufficient space to put a plank on that inside wall and then attach the handrail to that. I'm pretty sure we'd be bumping every time we went up and down the steps.

I think, "knocking our heads together" at the Southeast Rally is a good idea. As it stands right now, assuming they fix Kevin's truck on time, Carol and I will be in Myrtle Beach next Tuesday.

Thanks

donr827

As Jim mentioned there usually not enough backing to secure a handrail properly. When we ordered our BH I called the brand manager and he was able to have a handrail installed during manufacturing. He said he couldn't promise it would get done but HL came through.
Don

jbeletti

Keith - that interior wall could be disassembled and backer installed inside, then reassambled. I would do it on my own rig but I wouldn't want to tear into anyone elses like that. Now, a dealer or service shop is usually quite capable of such work. But yeah I look forward to looking at it with you.

ankie3467

I was in a accident a year ago and needed a hand rail! Without one, husband stood in front of me and I grabbed his back for support. That is one thing I am looking at for next 5th wheel. I am actually quite surprised that a manufacture hasn't come up with one yet, as there are so many elderly people using 5 wheels. At least put the wall with enough support that one can be attached

sflander

The ANSI A119.5 seems to require a handrail where you have three or more risers. Not sure why this would have been overlooked. I would expect the handrail requirement at the exterior stairs also. Does your unit indicated it was constructed in accordance with the ANSI standard? If so, talk to the dealer and request upgrade.

klindgren

As a follow up to this post, which I started back in April. I was talking with Kevin and Nelly, who ordered a LM365 Newport (whereas we bought ours off the lot), they told me their unit came with the inside hand rail already installed. One quick call the Heartland Customer Service and I found our my unit should have had the hand rail installed. They sent me the hand rail and authorized it to be installed by my local dealer. Love Heartland Customer Service!

Diamondjim

As season citizens, and with DW having a knee replacement in Oct, we were very much aware of hand rails, and the lack thereof in 5ers.
Some had them, some not. Fortunately the 2011 Greystone 32RL we purchased had a very neat wooden, and sturdy hand rail heading to the upper level.
Don't know if this was special ordered, but it will make our (my) lives better.
At 74, it was a consideration in our purchase decision.
Good luck.

MCTalley

One of the many improvements on our '15 BC over the '13 was that they actually used a backer board on the '15. I was always afraid our '13 handrail was going to pull out of the wall at any time. It may have had a backer, but it was wobbly enough it didn't feel like it.

Great to hear a follow-up. Hope you guys are doing well.

farside291

We have the BC version, similar to yours and we have the long hand rail on the left going up and as an added measure I added another on the right side at the top of the stairs just to the left of left door on the coat cabinet facing towards the stairs. The wood is plenty thick on the edge of the cabinet and adds a measure of security when going up and down the stairs. We purchased the handle like the one that is inside the front door and stained it to match. Predrilled the holes and used 3.5 inch wood screws and glue to hold it in place. Works great and is very secure.