ATF: North Trail - External Gas Line hook up for Grill

Mburke

I was looking for guidance on adding a quick propane connect to my 28BRS. It is plumbed with an area to attach a quick connect coupler towards the back/bathroom door. Is there a specific process or type of hardware I should use or will any do? Also upon making this modification what are recommended outdoor grills that will work when attached to the exterior propane connection? I don't want to purchase an item that will not burn or function correctly after making this change to the camper. Any and all specific ideas welcomed.

zombiejeep

I am also curious on this. On my 21FBS, on the curbside rear, there is a pipe cap that is labeled "L.P Gas Connection" or similar. Is that where you happen to be talking about Mburke? My first thought was that looks like an excellent spot for a grill.

Mburke

That is exactly what I am talking about ZombieJeep. I am really wanting to limit the need for bringing another propane tank for a grill.

zombiejeep

That is exactly what I am talking about ZombieJeep. I am really wanting to limit the need for bringing another propane tank for a grill.

Awesome, I'll be paying attention to this thread. There are some threads similar to this, yet different, lol. I've got a grill that uses those little green bottle I'd like to use, since that line is already converted to low pressure.

pegmikef

I was looking for guidance on adding a quick propane connect to my 28BRS. It is plumbed with an area to attach a quick connect coupler towards the back/bathroom door. Is there a specific process or type of hardware I should use or will any do? Also upon making this modification what are recommended outdoor grills that will work when attached to the exterior propane connection? I don't want to purchase an item that will not burn or function correctly after making this change to the camper. Any and all specific ideas welcomed.

Here are the connectors you will need, but I recall having to buy a couple of bushings from Lowe's to make them fit correctly. The grills that use the little green bottles won't work without some sort of converter if I remember correctly. I just used a low pressure grill (Olympian 5500) and there are several on the market. I think some folks have converted other grills like Weber to work on the low pressure outlet as well. The only down side I found was it kind of tethers you pretty close to the side of your trailer and there were a lot of times I would like to have moved the grill to another area like the covered tables one often finds in state and COE parks.

http://www.propaneproducts.com/catalog/quick-connectors-39-1.html

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
I have a 21 FBS and it came with the Stainless steel Aussie Grill and the quick connect by the rear tires and a grill hanger on the side of the RV. I guess they have changed things since I purchased my 2012. The quick connect was already installed with a shut off valve for a back up safety feature.

Manzan

My 21FBS also came with a grill that hangs on the side of the trailer. I had a 12' extension hose made so I can put the grill on a table away from the side of the trailer and awning. Works great, but not a fan of the grill I have. Works, but that is about it.

pegmikef

I have a 21 FBS and it came with the Stainless steel Aussie Grill and the quick connect by the rear tires and a grill hanger on the side of the RV. I guess they have changed things since I purchased my 2012. The quick connect was already installed with a shut off valve for a back up safety feature.

I called customer service about this a couple of years ago because my Edge came with the quick connect fitting, but all my North Trail came with was a capped pipe off the gas line. They told me that they no longer were installing the quick connect fittings unless an optional external grill was ordered with the trailer. My dealer had not ordered that option with the North Trail I bought, ergo no fitting.

Mburke

Thanks pegmikef. That helps. I will look into the lower pressure grills out there. If I complete this successfully I will post pics to share.