Help with p22 water heater

Hardy68

So I just bought a p22 prowler and im trying to use the water heater and I'm pretty sure I can use it on electric with out gas. Is this right or wrong and if yes how do I get it to work thanks for help

danemayer

Hi Hardy68,

Congratulations on the new Prowler and welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

The Heartland website shows that the P22 Prowler comes with a gas/electric water heater. If that's the case, you probably have switches like the ones indicated in this picture, although your control panel layout is probably different.

Control Panel Annotated.jpg

You might find our owner-written Water Heater Usage Guide helpful. It's based on a Suburban unit, but most of the content also applies to Atwoods.

Hardy68

Thanks for the quick reply Dan. So from looking at the picture u posted do I need to have water heater turned on at control panel? I thought that was for gas only. I just flipped the red switch that is beside the door. That's what the dealer said to do but nothing. It has a switch out side that is a on and off switch so maybe that's what I need turned on as well.

danemayer

Suburban water heaters have a rocker switch outside. You have to remove the outside cover to get to it. It's a safety switch so that if you winterize and drain the water heater, you can't accidentally burn out the heating element by turning on the inside switch with no water in the water heater tank.

So make sure you have water inside the tank. Trailers are winterized when they leave the factory, so there's no guarantee of water in the tank unless you know for sure that the dealer took care of that, or you did. With city water hooked up, you can open the pressure relief valve on the water heater to check. Just be careful you don't get scalded by hot water in case it really was on all the time.

Hardy68

So from the guide info that is what I need to do I need outside switch on to. Again thanks for help and the welcome

Hello Hardy68.....I see you have a new P22. We saw one this past weekend and really liked the setup. Maybe a bit small but it looks to have all the bells and whistles we would need.
I like the light weight althought our truck can pull much more this may help a small bit with gas mileage. Every bit will help.
Be curious to see how it fits your needs.....