Battery Connections for Inverter and 12V systems

Hello,

I'm wondering what the recommended way is to hook up the 12V side to a system with an inverter with a battery monitor and controller.

battery.jpg

'A' shows how it currently is (my inverter was installed by 3rd party), but the battery monitor is blind to the load placed on it by the RV 12V systems and cannot accurately determine the battery status.

Is 'B' a better way to go? I see this as better as it will give the battery monitor the full amp draw regardless if it's through the inverter or the 12V system.

Any thoughts or recommendations on this?

Thanks!

Jim.Allison

B is the way mine is. The rule is that EVERYTHING is on the shunt. That is the only way that you can know what it going on. I guess if you wanted to know how much current your inverter only was drawing then you would choose A. But that is pretty much worthless information to me, since it is my state of charge and current leaving or going into the batt that I want to know about. Additionally, my goal is to do as much as I can with DC and not involve the inverter at all.

Hello,

I'm wondering what the recommended way is to hook up the 12V side to a system with an inverter with a battery monitor and controller.

View attachment 35943

'A' shows how it currently is (my inverter was installed by 3rd party), but the battery monitor is blind to the load placed on it by the RV 12V systems and cannot accurately determine the battery status.

Is 'B' a better way to go? I see this as better as it will give the battery monitor the full amp draw regardless if it's through the inverter or the 12V system.

Any thoughts or recommendations on this?

Thanks!

Thanks for the reply Jim.

After researching this a bit more, B does look like the way it should have been done in the first place. I will probably make this chnage this weekend (if it doesn't snow). I really miss San Antonio....

Cheers,
PW

brianharrison

Hey PW, I see you are in Calgary - no snow in the NW this weekend :).

I had my inverter wired in a configuration similar to A, then B when I figured out I was not measuring both usages.

Brian