disenchanted owner

akula1016

I bought my Oakmont two weeks ago and so far more wrong than right.....has happened.

BR window won't open
BR AC runs constantly while LV cycles on/off. In auto mode.
have had a 6ft wide blind fall off the wall
Oven won't stay lit
this morning 12v (gas) water heater will not kick on.

Not feeling the lover about the purchase.....heartland dealer can't see us for a week.......FT with no way to cook in oven.

Any ideas on any of this stuff to get us through the week?

Greg

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
There are a couple of things that I would suggest.
For the bedroom window, take a #2 square drive bit and loosen the screws that hold the window frame. Not much, but a bit. Sometimes they get overtightened and bind up.
The AC in the bedroom, be sure that the fan is set to auto mode.
The oven and water heater may be related. Are you sure you have enough LP? Try switching over to the other tank.
The regulator may be bad or need adjustment.
Also check the thermocouple for the oven. It must be in the pilot flame.

Some of these things may help you get by for a week.

Did all of this stuff work during your PDI at the dealer when you picked up the unit?

Peace
Dave

pegmikef

Try lighting the stove burners. If they light ok then you can probably eliminate air in the lines. If they take a few seconds to a minute to light then the air is bleeding out.

Jim.Allison

Some advice; Try to use this forum to fix those things, you can handle all of them with just a little information from the forum if it has happened, it has happened to folks on this forum. KEEP that thing away from the dealer service department unless there is something that you cannot figure out. It is my observation that people that have the most problems, are in a vicious circle between constant service with the dealer service department. My grandfather used to say, "stay out of the hospital, they will kill you in there". I believe it. My rig is perfect, I have dealt with every little thing myself, and it has never been back to the dealer. IT cost money to haul that thing to the dealer, and if you added it up, it probably cost in excess of $50 per trip. And I have never heard anyone brag about the end result. I hear about people that did not get their rigs back for 20 to 30 days. RIgs being damaged while at the dealer service department. etc, etc. If you can fix it, then fix it. Often times its just a minor adjustment or a minor repair.

I bought my Oakmont two weeks ago and so far more wrong than right.....has happened.

BR window won't open
Oven won't stay lit

Not feeling the lover about the purchase.....heartland dealer can't see us for a week.......FT with no way to cook in oven.

Greg

asherwin

I beg to differ Jim. Our dealer has been exceptional right from the sale, subsequent PDI and through annual service visits for the past three years. Never any issues with work done or time taken to address identified issues. They have even washed the rig when in for service. I would and have recommended them to anyone looking to buy a new unit.

TXBobcat

Fulltime

BR window won't open
Oven won't stay lit

Greg

I beg to differ Jim. Our dealer has been exceptional right from the sale, subsequent PDI and through annual service visits for the past three years. Never any issues with work done or time taken to address identified issues. They have even washed the rig when in for service. I would and have recommended them to anyone looking to buy a new unit.

Jim.. I think you got them mixed up. Asherwin did not post both..

Just trying to help..

BC

MagnoliaTom

Some advice; Try to use this forum to fix those things, you can handle all of them with just a little information from the forum if it has happened, it has happened to folks on this forum. KEEP that thing away from the dealer service department unless there is something that you cannot figure out. It is my observation that people that have the most problems, are in a vicious circle between constant service with the dealer service department. My grandfather used to say, "stay out of the hospital, they will kill you in there". I believe it. My rig is perfect, I have dealt with every little thing myself, and it has never been back to the dealer. IT cost money to haul that thing to the dealer, and if you added it up, it probably cost in excess of $50 per trip. And I have never heard anyone brag about the end result. I hear about people that did not get their rigs back for 20 to 30 days. RIgs being damaged while at the dealer service department. etc, etc. If you can fix it, then fix it. Often times its just a minor adjustment or a minor repair.

I've come to believe the same thing. Fix everything you can yourself. Try at all cost to avoid the dealer. I had 2 previous TTs. Both were great units but had some minor issues. Not knowing any better, I took them into the dealer for service because I thought, "it's under warranty, I'll let the dealer fix it". Same mentality as a new car. Each rig started having more and more issues after I took it to the dealer. Their "fix" was usually sloppy and led to other things needing to be "fixed". Now, I try to do everything myself. I avoid the dealer like the plague .

Some dealers may have great service departments. Those are very rare.

Westwind

I can't agree more, unfortunately the Dealer service departments that aren't overworked and rushed are far and few between. They also can have qualified staffing problems so if you are handy tackle it yourself. Yes it is in warranty but it's just too hard like everyone has posted. This Forum is a great source of help with posting and sources and even calling Heartland directly can help. Maintain the friendly attitude no matter how frustrating it gets and you will get all those annoying things fixed.

Crumgater

I agree the water heater / oven issue sounds like low gas pressure.

Open both gas tanks... flip the regulator switch from one side to the other... see if that might help.

Does the stove top work well? Good HOT flame?

Hope the dealer takes good care of you.
Getting the initial bugs out can be a process. I also agree with doing as much yourself as you can - but that's more because our dealer is an hour drive away, so not very convenient for us.

akula1016

Oven is more than likely a thermal couple issue. Was told by dealer that part on backorder.....should be a recall....not a new issue. Apparently, Suburban is trying to satisfy assembly line demand instead of existing customers.....be forewarned if you are having this issue.