Heartland NorthTrail 23RBS

T

THOBRIASH

Ok folks, looking for advice and answers to a couple questions. First off, I am running a 2013 F150 XLT 4X4 Supercab, 5.0 engine, 145in WB, 3.55 axle, 7350# GVWR package. Getting ready to take possession next week on a 2016 Heartland North Trail 23RBS TT with a dry weight of 5310lbs and GVWR of 6900lbs. Still pretty new to this towing stuff and I figured you folks had the answers.

Questions:

1. Did I buy too much TT?
2. What would be a good weight distribution and sway control system to purchase?
3. Should I think about upgrading braking system, air intake, shocks, etc to assist with towing?
4. Should I talk the financial minister into letting me buy a bigger truck (F250?)

Thanks in advance for the help.

Brian

Last edited:

d_fergie

I have 2 F150's & pull my 22FBS fine with the 5.0, the 4.6 struggles on grades, but both are not 4x4's ... I mainly dry camp within 100 miles of home and haven't really had it out on the open road.

'Lil Guy'

Good thing about the 23RBS is it comes with the wide trax spacing on the axles which makes for a safer tow. The 1/2 ton should do fine with it on flat ground but when in hills or mountains you'll see some serious downshifting. We towed ours to Tennessee on vacation and it did alright. Lots of high RPM's in the mountains. With a good WDH and the sway bar you should be good to go. I pulled my 21FBS with my ram 1/2 ton and it pulled fine. Make sure you have the trailer brake set up on your truck for it and take it easy till you get used to it. The EAZllift Elite Model with the sway bar is a good choice.
I upgraded my truck to a Ram 2500 CTD and towed it once. Couldn't even feel it behind the truck. Your TT is 1K lbs more than the 21FBS but should be OK I also had the 5.7 Hemi. Problem with the gas engines is the torque comes in at higher RPM's.
Again you should be alright till you decide to upgrade.

d_fergie

The Wide Trax does make it more stable, but you really have to watch what you are doing on 2 rut roads and remember where the trailer tires will be running with cactus, mesquite & Lechuguilla...

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
As far as a weight distributing hitch goes, I would suggest an Equal-I-zer. It has sway control built-in does not use chains and you don't have to worry about disconnecting before you back up. The prices are pretty reasonable, too.

Bring your North Trail out to the Iowa Chapter Rally, Dubuque, Ia July 10-12th.
//heartlandowners.org/showthread.ph...0-2015-to-7-12-2015/page2?p=407673#post407673
I guarantee you won't be the only North Trail there!

zombiejeep

Ditto on the equal-I-zer and half ton, you should be fine. I downsized to the 21FBS, but before that we towed a larger bunk house model with no issues, same truck and hitch. Might even see you at the Iowa rally if you head out and our schedule allows it as well!