Recommended shocks for 2012 F250

Grey Ghost

I pull a 2011 Greystone 5ver, max dry weight 9400 lbs. I never pull with water so the max ever weight would be around 11,000 to 11,250 or so. I pull with a 2012 F-250 Ford 2wd. What would your recommendations be for a good rear shock? Also would you change the front out if your changing out the rear or not necessary?

caissiel

Re: Recommended shocks

I have original shocks and 160k miles on my F250. Tow a 3500RL for the past 6 years. They are still solid and no oil leakage
Can't say the same for the trailer shocks. They were junk.

superduty08

Tennessee Chapter Leaders

I'm still using the original shocks on my '08 F350. I have pulled two different Bighorns and have 96k miles with no problems.

avvidclif

Uh huh and until you take the old ones off you won't realize how bad they are. My 09 was replaced at 48k and it made a world of difference. The old ones still had "some" resistance.

brianharrison

My recommendation are Bilsteins to replace the OEMs, and I would replace all 4 corners. I went with the 5100 series.

Brian

caissiel

But my F250 rides well loaded or unloaded. That also includes the front. It's a waste for me to look for a better ride. Shocks only stop the bounce and the springs tune the ride.

Cjackg

You just won't believe how much better the Bilstein's handle the "bounce" until you try them.
One of the best bang-for-the-buck improvements you can do to almost any tow vehicle...

Wk15

I run 5100 Bilsteins in all four corners, and a Carli / Bilstein 7100 Steering Stabilizer on my 2012 F350. My view is if you are going in to do the rears just do all at the same time.

porthole

Retired
Bilstein 5100's. Do all four if you are going to bother doing a single axle.

OEM Ford shocks are not very good. They do not have to leak to not work very well.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
5100 series here, a few years ago. I can't say it made the truck ride better, but the bumps are dampened better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

caissiel

I do not want or need a stiffer ride. My truck holds the road just right. Shocks help keep the tires on the road. My 8000 lbs truck keeps the tires on the road. And the springs are tuned to hold the load. I know after 45 years when I will need new shocks.
To many waste of parts are put on vehicles for nothing. It's an after market cash cow.
My previous truck was 9 years old when I sold it with original shocks that still gave a great ride.
My neighbour's brother in law tried to sell me Bilstream shocks when my truck was new. He did not know my GM OEM shocks already were some.

porthole

Retired
Are you saying GN installed bilstein shocks as standard?
wonder how they compare to the bogus ranchos ford install with the FX-4 package

caissiel

Yes my 98 did have them on the 4 x 4. They lasted 9 years and were also great towing the 12000 lbs 5th wheel. Still great when truck sold.