Essential Equipment List

kdw61

OK, I am new into RVing and just got my first travel trailer, a North Trail 21 FBS. So there are tons of items out there to buy for your campers. So what do readers think are the "Essentials?" What items are absolutely "must haves" for people new to RV's and what is hype (things the advertisers and dealers say but you will really never use).

danemayer

Hi kdw61,

Congratulations on the new North Trail and welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. There's a great bunch of friendly and helpful people here so I'm sure you'll get plenty of suggestions.

Let me kick it off by suggesting a clear adapter and a twist-on gate valve for your sewer outlet. The clear adapter will take the guess work out of dumping the black tank and the gate valve will keep you from spilling stuff on your shoes. Install the gate valve so the handle is in the 1 o'clock position, with gravity helping keep it in place while you travel. The clear adapter would only be used when hooked up.

Ladiver

A sense of humor.

^^^^^ This ^^^^^

Patience and Understanding...

OK, so really the 2 items listed by Dan are at the top of the list. They will make sure your dumping experience doesn't stink.

Basic tool kit (with all of the screw drivers and wrenches for your trailer). Almost all of the screws have a square head!
Water pressure regulator
surge protector or EMS
Wife really likes the collapsible trashcans that can stay just outside the door. Keeps garbage outside.
Good communications skills with the person helping you backup! Also a 2 way radio is much more effective than hand signals when the other person is standing directly behind the trailer!

Oh, congrats on the new trailer. Welcome to the club. This site is a wealth of information.

Jeff

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
Congratulations and welcome to the forum!
You can never have too many power cords and adapters.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Invest in a quality potable water hose, not a cheapie or a garden hose. Might want to consider some kind of filter system, too. Have a separate hose (garden hose is acceptable) for using the clear sewer/backflush adapter mentioned by Dan.

You'll want something to help level your trailer, too. There are plastic leveling block sets that you can build up, or carry lengths of 2x lumber to put under your tires. If camping on grass/dirt, you might want to have some wood pads to put under your jacks to prevent them sinking if you're parked for an extended stay.

Don't run out and immediately put a smile on the RV parts store owners face. There are a bazillion doo-dads and gadgets for sale that end up in the corner of the garage collecting dust or in the trash. As you go camping, chat with the neighbors to see what items they carry, as well as ask questions here.

Ladiver

Don't run out and immediately put a smile on the RV parts store owners face. There are a bazillion doo-dads and gadgets for sale that end up in the corner of the garage collecting dust or in the trash. As you go camping, chat with the neighbors to see what items they carry, as well as ask questions here.

This is key. Take the trailer locally a few times first. Know that you are just learning and figuring this all out. Keep a list of items that you wish you had with you. Then, when you get home research to see if there is something that will work for your trailer setup. Remember that space and weight is a premium, so think hard about what you really need vs want.

I need my coffee in the mornings and wanted a nice coffee pot or Keurig. The coffee pot/Keurig did not fit my space/weight requirements, so we ended up with two single cup drippers (link).

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
A good set of foldup camping chairs . . . and a TV station signal meter!

Oh . . . and some cold beer, too!

Kbvols

Bare essentials: heavy duty electric cord, cord adapters, 2- 25' water hose for drinking, chemicals for toilet, sewer hose ,propane in tanks. That will get you started. ..add in a couple lawn chairs, pencil and paper start making list for all the other must haves you will come up with.

olcoon

Before you go to the local RV store to buy all these goodies that have been suggested, check out your local Walmart. Back in the automotive section they'll have an RV section where you can buy a lot of these goodies cheaper than the RV will. Also some people will tell you that you HAVE to us RV toilet paper. Myself and a lot of other people on here have heard it, and keep on using the regular TP from home. (DISCLAIMER: some of that stuff you really can't use!) We use Angel Soft, as a rule of thumb, if it says "septic tank safe" or something like that it should be OK. Enjoy your new rig, and stay the first time locally so you can get the hang of it. Our maiden voyage was about 10 miles from the house. But we got to learn how everything works, do some trouble shooting, and we weren't 200 miles from home in case something went wrong.

B

Boatman

One item that is a must, but not sold, is a checklist. You can find samples on the web. Expect to change your checklist many times to fit your RV. A good checklist will save you some money and embarrassment. Enjoy your rig!

'Lil Guy'

That was our 1st rig a short while ago. If you are indeed new at this, let me tell what is going to happen. You're going to be packing up to leave and you will forget to let your TV antennae down. Ask me how I know. The camp host told us so we let it down. He stopped us again on the way out and told us our stairs were down. Had to pull them down to go in to bring the antennae down. Wife can't do anything right.lol You need a check list on setting up and packing up. Furniture out of way for slide clearance, retracting the stabilizers, antennae down, vents closed, stairs folded up. etc. Also get a good water pressure regulator for your water hookup. I use the double one at the site. Water pressure at a lot of the sites is way too high for your plumbing. Maker sure you have a near full gray tank to use to clean the hose after you dump your black tank.
Learn as you go and take notes. Definitely create a list and add to it as you go. Any problems that arise at a campsite are not that big of a problem. You generally have a park full of campers that have been there and done that and are more than willing to help. Take it out and have a great time. Make sure you post back and let us know how it went.

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
Check Amazon prices too! Found a number of RV supplies there that were cheaper than anywhere else.

JohnD

Before you go to the local RV store to buy all these goodies that have been suggested, check out your local Walmart. Back in the automotive section they'll have an RV section where you can buy a lot of these goodies cheaper than the RV will.

Yup!

Every time I go into a Walmart I always roll through the RV section!

Funny thing . . . of the two Walmart's that are near our house, one is right next to the Highway (I-25 and 136th ave.) and the other at least three miles from any highway . . . the one next to the highway has a tiny little RV section where the one away from the highway has one of the largest RV sections I've ever seen at a Walmart store!

Go figure . . .

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Lots of paper plates and holders. Plastic everything...coffee cups, glasses, (real silverware is OK), etc,etc. You are camping...not going to a black tie dinner. Any heavy pots and pans go in a bottom drawer. Ponytail ties will keep opposing cupboard doors closed.Take out the glass plate from the microwave when traveling...dont ask how we know. Slowly but surely stock up the trailer with pots,pans, undies, socks, footware, shirts, pants, coats for all seasons. Leave them in the coach so you dont have to spend hours loading and unloading everytime your go camping. Then all you need to do is load food. Start the fridge a day or so before you leave. Get a bag of some kind to put dirty clothes in. When you get home...take the bag in...wash the clothes and put them back. Wal-Mart and internet is where we go looking for RV stuff. Make sure you have at least 30' of sewer hose, 30' fresh water hoses and a hose for the black tank flush only. Get a good water pressure regulator with a gauge and 5-6 GPM flow....no more than 50 PSI to the coach. Cosco has some good folding chairs with a cupholder/shelf. Plastic stacking blocks in a bag for leveling.

Don't buy every do-dad that you think is neat. As stated, keep a list of needed things and only buy WHAT YOU NEED....NOT EVERYTHING YOU SEE.

teasac69

AS you can readily see, folks always willing to pitch in and lend a few kind words. Lots of great suggestions and ideas. To me the best is take your rig locally several times before you "hit the road". Those local trips will let you make up your own list. The 2nd best tip to me is the one about the checklist before you depart for home(or the next stop). You will have serious $$$ regret from leaving your camping spot with stuff still hanging out. Cost big bucks to repair that type of damage.

Lastly, I would suggest you find a good power filter to attach (in you don't have one built in). Too many campgrounds have been either setup too quickly or expanded to quickly and don't have quality electrical power. One like Progressive Industries makes can save you a lot of pain in the fried electronic gear from a power loss, reversed polarity, hot ground leg, etc.

Most of all, try to leave work and troubles behind. I am amazed at the expense people go to in order to watch a movie outdoors or listen to loud music outside their rig. Turn the evil world off and listen to the birds, waterfall, squirrels quarreling, coyotes calling. Enjoy the beauty of God's creation and heal from the daily grind. Enjoy your travels.

d_fergie

Do a walk around the rig inside and out before heading out to be sure doors are shut, latched, antenna is down, chock blocks pulled ...

Ladiver mentioned the importance of good communications skills with your person who helps you back up. I got a backup camera a year or so ago and it is my favorite thing. You can have your helper stand in the camera shot to give you directions as well as having a good view of where the RV is going. As an added bonus, most if not all have a switch to leave it on all the time as a rear view mirror. You will be able to tell when you are past someone when you want to change lanes to the right without having to rely on peripheral vision and adding an extra 100 feet.

Also, on my walkaround, I have the lights on and a turn signal going so I know I am hooked up correctly and everything works.

JohnD

Do a walk around the rig inside and out before heading out to be sure doors are shut, latched, antenna is down, chock blocks pulled ...

For the TV antenna, I have a luggage tag I hang on the crank handle when the antenna is up as a reminder to put it down.

Plus, before I drive off with trailer in tow, I do a walk around and look everything over front to back, in between and top to bottom.

JanAndBill

This is the last thing I do before I slide in the drivers seat. One other thing to mention, while doing this, DO NOT TALK TO OR BE DISTRACTED, by friendly people saying goodbyes. If neighbors are standing around talking, I excuse myself from the conversation, before doing my final walk around.