50 amp surge guard

BLHFUN

Hey Folks - I see lot's of Chatter about the In line protection, but can't find this question asked/Answered on any threads.

I Currently use a 50 Amp Portable Surge protector. I'm always connected to 50 amp unless I'm dry camping or at home on 110. My question is using my 50AMP Cord connected to the 50 AMP Surge protector. Then Reduced to a 30 AMP cord and connected to the Pedestal. I'm not normally in 30AMP spots, But will be this weekend. I would rather not buy another $80 30 AMP sure protector unless the below is a bad idea? Seems to be straight forward and still protected... But a neighbor of mine thinks I've lost it.

50AMP CORD / 50AMP SURGE POTECTOR / 50AMP TO 30AMP REDUCER / 30AMP CORD / PEDESTAL -

Suggestions?

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Do it all the time even if I'm at a friend's house using his house current.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

branson4020

Icantre Member
Your neighbor is the one who's lost it. The hookup you describe will work perfectly. I frequently use a built-in 50A Surge Guard with a 30A pedestal.

brianharrison

I have the hardwired 50 amp surge/EMS system in my coach - run 50A, 30A, and 15A through it all the time.

Over/under voltage protection, open neutral, open ground behave the same in all circuits. A potential surge will be less in lower rated circuits but still protected by the 50A rated surge protector.

PS You can use it at your home on 110 as well, it will protect you there as well. Mine protected me once when I used a bad ground extension cord.

Brian

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
I'm hooked to my 50A socket here at home right now. Just because it's my house circuit I still have my surge protector inline just as if I was at a CG.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BLHFUN

Thank you guys. He has a few Knowledge years on me and I usually listen to him pretty well. I left this conversation dazed and confused though.. He was very concerned due to this 50 AMP protection unit. He said. " NEVER USE A 50 AMP PROTECTOR ON ANYTHING LESS THAN 50 AMP" I smiled and said... YES SIR! ;) ( Just checking my Sanity )

Thanks again!

olcoon

One thing I might caution you on. Shortly after we got our rig, I was still suffering from the sticker shock, and started reading about EMS systems. When I checked on the good ones I saw a price tag of $300.00 & thought there had to be a better way. Thought I found one & paid about the same for it as you did. Then I learned that the one I had would only protect me from very few of the things that can go wrong. I broke down and bought the hardwired one from Progressive, & feel a lot safer. That said what you have will be better than nothing! At least you'll be able to check the pedestal in the campground & find out if it's wired correctly.

BLHFUN

One thing I might caution you on. Shortly after we got our rig, I was still suffering from the sticker shock, and started reading about EMS systems. When I checked on the good ones I saw a price tag of $300.00 & thought there had to be a better way. Thought I found one & paid about the same for it as you did. Then I learned that the one I had would only protect me from very few of the things that can go wrong. I broke down and bought the hardwired one from Progressive, & feel a lot safer. That said what you have will be better than nothing! At least you'll be able to check the pedestal in the campground & find out if it's wired correctly.

Agreed. Both the foretravel and my Discovery had on board full EMS protectors from the factory. Standard on the Foretravel and optional on the discovery. I never had to worry about the inline protection. Or too stupid to know the difference! It's on my list for this year and have looked at the progressive EMS 50 with the remotes. But dang nation, you can 500 dollar yourself to death in a quick hurry. Lory said....... "Hold please". Lol. I can only say "I need..." So many times in one year.

BLHFUN

Agreed. Both the foretravel and my Discovery had on board full EMS protectors from the factory. Standard on the Foretravel and optional on the discovery. I never had to worry about the inline protection. Or too stupid to know the difference! It's on my list for this year and have looked at the progressive EMS 50 with the remotes. But dang nation, you can 500 dollar yourself to death in a quick hurry. Lory said....... "Hold please". Lol. I can only say "I need..." So many times in one year.

Notice I said.. NEED and not WANT! Seems to help!

olcoon

When I finally made the decision, I considered it cheap insurance. With all the electronic stuff in the rigs these days, #300.00 looked better than thousands! I installed it myself, and even though I'm sort of handy, I'm not an electrician by any means. Did my research, reading, & talked to Progressive & got it done in less than a day. What amazed me is when I plugged it in, it worked & no fires!

BTW, my wife grew up in Springfield & some of her family still live there.

BLHFUN

When I finally made the decision, I considered it cheap insurance. With all the electronic stuff in the rigs these days, #300.00 looked better than thousands! I installed it myself, and even though I'm sort of handy, I'm not an electrician by any means. Did my research, reading, & talked to Progressive & got it done in less than a day. What amazed me is when I plugged it in, it worked & no fires!

BTW, my wife grew up in Springfield & some of her family still live there.

No fires is always good! And your right, that is cheap insurance.

Lory and I have been here for about 23 years. Love the area, the lakes and cost of living. We are both From Texas and still call it home. Our next move will be flip of a coin. Lory says "beach" and I say "Mountains." Should be interesting! :)

Thanks for the input!

olcoon

Bart, that's funny, sounds just like Sally & I! After 4 years in the Navy & living on the ocean, I'm not that impressed with the ocean & beaches anymore, however, the mountains & forest.....

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
Bart, that's funny, sounds just like Sally & I! After 4 years in the Navy & living on the ocean, I'm not that impressed with the ocean & beaches anymore, however, the mountains & forest.....

Well then Roy, why don't you and Sally pack that thing up and come spend some time in them?

olcoon

Dave we are trying! Going to Goshen in June, and who knows after that!!! Just wait, one of these days we are going to show up on your doorstep, and harass you & Amy for a few days!

jimtoo

Dave we are trying! Going to Goshen in June, and who knows after that!!! Just wait, one of these days we are going to show up on your doorstep, and harass you & Amy for a few days!

Dave,, Your asking for trouble if a certain person shows up. Don't say you weren't warned.. :)

olcoon

Better watch out Jim, I just might show up down there and camp out on your door also! I'll expect you to support me in a manner of which I'd like to become accustomed to!

jimtoo

Better watch out Jim, I just might show up down there and camp out on your door also! I'll expect you to support me in a manner of which I'd like to become accustomed to!

You are welcome any time sir.. I have 50amp service if you have your own extension cord.. fresh water with a long hose also,, and a guard cat. Reservations are required with a small deposit. Bring your own food so you can enjoy your outdoor lunches with the cat, while your better half enjoys beans, cornbread, gravy and grapes. :)