Sony receiver replacement?

I have a 2015 Big Country with a Sony DVD-receiver. The DVD does not play Blue-Ray DVDs. Is there a similarly sized (small) replacement that plays Blue-Rays?

jimtoo

Hi SmilingMonk,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

I'm sure some of our other members will have some suggestions soon.

Be sure and check out our Heartland Owners Club. Join us at a rally when you can and meet lots of the great folks here and make friends for a lifetime.

Enjoy the forum and your new unit.

Jim M

MCTalley

We found the same issue. I had a 5.1 receiver that I was going to use in place of the Sony unit, then add my own Blu-Ray player. What thwarted that plan is that the built-in subwoofer is passive and the Sony unit sends amplified signals to it. My 5.1 receiver had a pre-amp level output for the sub, assuming that the sub is amplified already. I really didn't want to dig out the factory sub and replace it with something powered, plus my 5.1 receiver nearly filled the entire cabinet.

What I ultimately ended up doing was to add a Blu-Ray player and sent the HDMI output to one of the TV HDMI inputs. The TV analog sound output is sent back to the Sony unit, so it's not a truly full surround sound solution, but it works.

Jim.Allison

We bought an independant Blu Ray player, and a receiver/speaker kit from Best buy. WE built a real home theater system using the 500 watt yamaha home theater kit that came with the reciever and speakers. We were very happy with the end results.
I have a 2015 Big Country with a Sony DVD-receiver. The DVD does not play Blue-Ray DVDs. Is there a similarly sized (small) replacement that plays Blue-Rays?

Malcom and Jim-

Thanks for the responses!

Jim: You're running a 500 watt receiver?!?! Aren't you afraid of blowing the insulation panels out of your Big Country? (!)... And worse yet, attracting teeny-boppers drawn to the whomping bass output? ;) Sounds like you have a GREAT system, however!

Malcom: I appreciate the heads-up regarding the passive sub-woofer. I, too, thought I would have to find a smallish new receiver to fit into the compartment (although they are difficult to find) and start from scratch, but the passive sub deep-sixes that idea. I'll probably go with the same sub-optimal fix you did: sacrifice sound quality for getting Blu-Ray image. Because an RV is much more like a phone booth than a concert hall, I don't think the sound degradation will be too big a deal.

Thanks again, Guys!

Glenn
SmilingMonk