Ideas on replacing part of the sub-flooring

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Does anyone here at the SE Rally have experience with subfloor partial replacement due to water intrusion. We have an area about two feet by three feet in front of the reefer that needs to be repaired. I have ideas, but looking for any experienced advise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jbeletti

Does anyone here at the SE Rally have experience with subfloor partial replacement due to water intrusion. We have an area about two feet by three feet in front of the reefer that needs to be repaired. I have ideas, but looking for any experienced advise.

Not me Gus. I think the slide can be jacked up nearly an inch. Then perhaps the wood decking (now mush) can be cut out and a new section skinned in. Need to do a root cause analysis of the failure and correct the cause first. Water intrusion past the slide seal in rain? Leaking ice maker line? You may want this post moved to it's own thread as it may take on a life of it's own and overshadow Dave's rally info here.

Last edited:

boatto5er

Please move to a new area as appropriate. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

Randy

Founding Georgia Chapter Leader (Ret)
Gus, I think the only proper repair would be a new coach. Just a suggestion.
Randy, Santha and the Poodles

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
I second the above opinion as well. Just buy that new 365 that you know you want. Lol

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
I heard you can fix a leaking sink in a Big Country the same way.......

I just told Jo I had that idea and got a huge ration of you know what. Lol. She has it in her head that she wants a new car and I have said no. Lol

Sorry for hijacking Gus.

Garypowell

Back to the problem. I had to replace a 2 by 3 foot section in front of our shower in the 3010 we owned. And as you will tell I don't know your floor plan.

I first removed all the bad chip board. Had to work under the shower a little and under the bed too. Once all the bad stuff was out I was fortunate there was a frame member running in one area. In other areas I dug out the foam insulation enough to be able to put 2 by 2's under the good floor. I held them in place by screwing down through the good chip board to hold them. I had to countersink the holes to keep them from sticking up.

I probably put 2 screws on each end of the 3 2 by 2's I used. Since what was holding the 2 by 2's in place was not that strong.....I used multiple 2 by 2's to spread out the load.

Once all the underpinning was in place cut a piece of plywood to fit hole in the floor I had cut out and then screwed it down to the 2 by 2's.

I was really surprised how well it held....no squeaking....no sagging.

Your problem being near the slide....is going to be a little tougher than mine.....but the same idea should work.

Keep us posted with pictures if possible.

boatto5er

Back to the problem. I had to replace a 2 by 3 foot section in front of our shower in the 3010 we owned. And as you will tell I don't know your floor plan.

I first removed all the bad chip board. Had to work under the shower a little and under the bed too. Once all the bad stuff was out I was fortunate there was a frame member running in one area. In other areas I dug out the foam insulation enough to be able to put 2 by 2's under the good floor. I held them in place by screwing down through the good chip board to hold them. I had to countersink the holes to keep them from sticking up.

I probably put 2 screws on each end of the 3 2 by 2's I used. Since what was holding the 2 by 2's in place was not that strong.....I used multiple 2 by 2's to spread out the load.

Once all the underpinning was in place cut a piece of plywood to fit hole in the floor I had cut out and then screwed it down to the 2 by 2's.

I was really surprised how well it held....no squeaking....no sagging.

Your problem being near the slide....is going to be a little tougher than mine.....but the same idea should work.

Keep us posted with pictures if possible.

Excellent idea! I'll definitely give the 2x2s a try. Thanks!