4150 Design Change

Randor

After a month of full-time living in our 4150 we love it. Overall, we love it and we chose it for the floor plan and our specific needs. However, like most designs, there are a few things we would change - many that are similar the the other 4000 series models.

1 - The biggest issue for us is the placement of the washer/dryer hook ups in the front closet. Not a bad place but the opening to the bathroom is only 19" wide because of the pocket door. When we contacted HL I was old to disassemble the pocket door and remove it from the wall. The smallest washer/dryer unit width/length I could find was 22"+.

2 - Shorter living room windows and install cabinets above the couch for more storage like some of HL's other models.

3 - Better schematics for audio/visual wiring and connections. Not intuitively obvious how to connect satellite, cable and pipe TV audio through the installed sound system. Still haven't figured out how to plumb the satellite or use the sound system.

4 - Vent in 1/2 bath.

5 - Make the slide out support floors 1" longer. On large couch the front support extends off of the floor and is wobbly. The small couch was mounted closer to the wall allowing the front support to rest on the floor, but the seat does not recline properly because it hits the wall.

6 - Put small night stand for a clock on the right side of the bed.

7 - Vent for washer/dryer so not restricted to a ventless unit.

8 - His and Hers reading light switches above bed.

All things I've found work-rounds for, but would be useful.

MCTalley

7 - Vent for washer/dryer so not restricted to a ventless unit.

Is there not a sticker or other marking on the left-side wall in the W/D closet indicating the center point for a vent hole? There is usually an indication of where a vent would be installed based on the location of studs in the exterior wall. Our previous unit and our current one both had such markings in the W/D closet.

danemayer

If you order the RV with washer and dryer, the factory installs the vent. If you order the washer and dryer from your local dealer, they'll install the vent. If you buy the washer and dryer independently, you can install the vent yourself. A number of people have posted about their experiences installing the vent. And as you've mentioned, a ventless solution can be used if you don't want to put in the vent.

Randor

Is there not a sticker or other marking on the left-side wall in the W/D closet indicating the center point for a vent hole? There is usually an indication of where a vent would be installed based on the location of studs in the exterior wall. Our previous unit and our current one both had such markings in the W/D closet.

I didn't look real close since I already had a ventles unit. There may be a template marked.

Randor

If you order the RV with washer and dryer, the factory installs the vent. If you order the washer and dryer from your local dealer, they'll install the vent. If you buy the washer and dryer independently, you can install the vent yourself. A number of people have posted about their experiences installing the vent. And as you've mentioned, a ventless solution can be used if you don't want to put in the vent.

I didn't order the unit - was in dealer stock they brought in for a camping show. Had a price on it I just couldn't refuse. I already had a ventless washer/dryer in my previous RV. As mentioned, I have it in the garage because the doorway through the bathroom isn't big enough to get the washer in the front closet without taking the pocket door apart. I also like having the extra closet space and the washer puts out a lot of heat and humidity that I don't necessarily want going into the closet area. I thought with a vented system it would reduce the heat and humidity in the closet.

Im seeing a pattern in some of my wish lists as well. We just recently bought a 2010 3950, I had my sights on the 2009 as the washer and dryer connections are in the garage closet instead of the front bedroom closet. My son come across this 2010 that didn't look used for a good price and I've been happy with the extra full-size residential refrigerator in the garage closet. I don't like the move towards the big windows on all the newer models that give up the overhead storage, its a big negative in my book. I too would like nightstands next to the bed, I'll probably install a couple of small shelves in the corners for glasses and cell phones. As for the his and her switched overhesd lights in the bed, I bought some lights from the RV dealer that are similar to the overhead lights in an airplane that are mounted in a ball socket, 2 lights per set that are switched. Just leave the wall switch on and the switches are functional overhead. I wish there were reading lights on the sofa slide like my other Fifthwheel. One of these days if I can figure out how you can have everything, I'm going to be a millionaire!