License plate installation

rpotter

This is a pretty simple question. My 3570RS came from the dealer with the 30 day temp paper plate inside a plastic bag, zip tied to the trailer plastic plate bracket. How did you attach your official metal plate? No hardware came with the bracket. Did everyone simply zip tie their metal plate. Not much room between the bracket and trailer to get a bolt inserted.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

olcoon

I used a bolt & nut with lock washers. Not much room, and a real pain, but it can be done.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I believe you can buy standard mounting fasteners at most auto supply stores.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Here is a link [LINK] to some licence plate fasteners that JohnDar is referring to.
As John said, most auto parts stores will have them.

Peace
Dave

MTPockets

My bracket came with a square nut that slides into the slot at each end of the bracket. This holds the nut while tightening the screw from the front, eliminating the need to get behind the bracket.

GOTTOYS

I put some 1/4" bolts through from the backside, hung the plate on them and then put lock washers and nuts on the outside over the plate. Saved a trip to auto parts store. Worked good for me...Don

DIYJunkie

1/4 carriage bolts with washers and self locking nuts work well as do lock washers and regular nuts. the square part on the carriage bolt will keep the head from spinning when inserted through the license plate bracket from the back.

Roller4tan

You may want to take off the light/plate holder anyway. There was a post a while back about water intrusion from the hole that the wire goes thru for the light. I removed mine and sure enough there was a 1" hole for the little wire to the light and NO caulking. I plugged the hole with caulk and added some around the frame, inserted the bolts for the plate and reinstalled.

B

BouseBill

Your dealership is losing out on a lot of free advertising by not providing a plate holder. When we picked up our 2015 it was also missing the hardware. When I pointed it out to our service manager he was surprised it was in that condition. The owner insists that HIS dealership plate holder be on every rig that goes out. If you want to take it off, great, heck I don't mind a little advertising for a GREAT dealership, in Las Vegas, on Boulder Highway LOL. IMHO providing those types of little things shows THEIR commitment to THEIR customers.

DIYJunkie

Its not quite free advertising, the frames cost money as does the hardware and time to install. Also, how many dealer frames stay on - could be the dealership wants to spend their advertising dollars in other ways. My dealer didn't put a frame on either - would have been lost the first time out. The wind snapped the mounting brackets of since the plate hung below the rear bumper. They did put a sticker next to the door.

B

BouseBill

took all of three seconds to install, and it's free advertising as long as it's on the back of my rig LOL, But I understand what you're saying.