2014 Torque 380 Master Bedroom Slide out.

I have recently purchased a new 2014 Torque 380 with three slide outs. Being that we are old, my wife and I have an electric bed that raise's
the head and foot. We would like to replace the bed in the master bedroom with our bed. We have measured and it will will fit, but the bed weights approximately 300 lbs.
Our question is, 1) will this be to much weight for the electric motor for the slide out and 2) will this affect out towing with the pin weight while towing?
Thanks for any advice you may have.

danemayer

Hi Rayster_eod,

Assuming your 300 lb bed replaces a bed that weighs maybe 40 lbs, you'll have a 260 lb increase close to the pin. Without doing any math, I'd assume around 75% of the increase will go to the pin and the remainder to the axles. So you might figure an addition of around 195 lbs to your current pin weight and to the load on the slide out components.

While I don't know the weight of the slide room and bed support, I'd guess it might be at most a few hundred pounds. So adding 195 would be significant.

If I were to hazard a guess, I'd say there's a small chance the motor, chain, sprockets, pulleys and cables might have enough design margin to handle the extra weight. There's a chance the motor could overheat or stall, or blow a fuse.

I would guess it's very likely the pulleys would pull out of their wall mounts.

These components have been spec'd to handle the weight of the slide room as it ships. I doubt either the slide manufacturer (Lippert?), or Heartland will commit to your plan and promise everything will work with the extra weight.

Garypowell

A year or so ago Dan posted that he raised his bed with metal shelving. If he sees this he will post that thread for you to see.

I did this mod based on his post and it works excellently and does not add much weight.

it is a permanent fix so it might not fit your purpose.

Thanks Gary, looking forward to seeing Dan fix. I would be very interested to see what he has done. My wife has acid reflux and need to be able to raise the head of the bed to be able to sleep.
If you have Dan's user name I can search his posts to find his fix.
Thanks again, this has been a great help.

Garypowell

Dan is usually excellent at circling back.....frankly he is one of 2 or 3 on this forum that are excellent references.....even if I am not interested in the post I'll read his additions just to see what he has to say!

OK enough cudoes. What he did, just in case, was use the typical white metal shelving you see at home d or lowes. It has a right angle part where you are supposed to hang clothing from.

I attached that right angle part to a 2 by 4's on long side. You could raise or lower with different size wood. In my case further down from the head I put a 2 by 2 in for bracing.

AAdams

If you look at post #2 here you can look at the picture Dan posted that shows the wire shelf to raise the head of the bed.

danemayer

I've attached a picture showing the closet shelving used to raise the head of the bed. We had the store cut it to the correct width and added protective end caps. There's a 2x4 attached along the back to provide height and stability. When screwing the shelf to the 2x4, I used large fender washers to span the shelf rods. I also taped the rough surfaces to prevent damage to the mattress.

Click on the picture a couple of times to get a larger view.

Attachments

• RV Bed Tile and lift.jpg
    RV Bed Tile and lift.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 48

Garypowell

On mine....referenced above ....I used a second shelf (had lots left over from a house mod) to extend the raised area down to the hinges of the storage cover.

At at the junction of the two is where I put the 2 by 2 to support it. Used zip ties to hold the pieces together.

This gave me the rise I wanted over a longer run.