PDA

View Full Version : Introducing Heartland Owners Position

linuxkidd
03-19-2008, 08:33 AM
We are bringing online our latest addition to the Heartland Onwers online family....

Heartland Owners Position (//heartlandowners.org/vbgooglemapme.php)
This area is setup to help share your current location with other Heartland Owners. Again, it is only accessible by registered members. For a quick 'How To' on getting your position into the system, see this PDF file (http://hoot.heartlandowners.org/images/stories/hop_how-to.pdf).

For discussion and questions about HOP, please use the new Heartland Owners Position (//heartlandowners.org/forumdisplay.php?f=300) section of the forum.

As usual, all feedback is very welcome!
Thanks!
LK

Ray LeTourneau
03-19-2008, 09:32 AM
LK Very Cool! One question. How do we edit spelling errors? Thanks. Never mind! I experimented and figured it out.

truknutt
03-19-2008, 11:08 AM
Boy oh boy, go away for 12 hours and now we got HOOT, HOP, HOC, & HOG. ...and they say the Military uses acronyms!!

Pretty soon we'll need a copy of the "HEARTLAND Owner's Official Downloadable LINUXKIDD User's Manual" sitting next to the computer. (or should that be the HOODLUM?) LOL!

Just jerkin' it; these are really great additions/tools that make the site that much more enjoyable. ;):p

Goldenwingers
03-19-2008, 05:43 PM
Fun stuff - good idea!

MFFD28
03-19-2008, 08:05 PM
Great idea!! I'm new to this forum and I'm really impressed by everything I've seen so far. Great moderators and great members!

SmokeyBare
03-19-2008, 08:32 PM
Really FUN.....

Now, How do we remove the Pin once we move?

bsummit
03-19-2008, 08:38 PM
This is neat LK. I presume that when we move we go to the your entry link and go thru the steps to change location. If that's not correct, let me know.

Bill

linuxkidd
03-19-2008, 09:06 PM
To move the pin, currently.. you must go to the 'Your entry' page, scroll all the way to the bottom and check the 'Delete the marker information' check box, then click the 'Update the information' button. After that, go through the original steps to add the pin back in the new location.

I'm going to be working on it so that it allows the position to be changed without a full delete / re-add cycle.

Looks like a great reception on this... We're up to 39 pins!
LK

egnors
03-19-2008, 09:28 PM
Up to 40 now.

Bob&Patty
03-19-2008, 09:49 PM
Thanks Mike, the site is way:cool::cool:. Now I have a green balloon over my house. Will the balloon show up on map quest in case I get lost??? Bob:D:D:eek:

caddojay
03-19-2008, 10:07 PM
Well ain't that sump'n. "Hoodlum" is definitely a geek. What else do you have up your sleeve for us to play with, besides ants...

SmokeyBare
03-19-2008, 10:16 PM
Thanks Kidd... Neat to be able to put a location on the Map.... Way to go Guy !!

Clark
03-20-2008, 08:26 PM
Mike, I have tried and have been told that I am not allowed access. Maybe you can tell me what I should be doing? Clark

doubled
03-20-2008, 10:25 PM
I also was told I had no access.What are the requirements?

linuxkidd
03-21-2008, 06:22 AM
All: When new users sign up on Heartland Owners forum, their first 2 posts are moderated. This helps us head off spammers without all the forum members having to see the junk they are trying to post.

HOP operates under the same rules. After your 2nd post is approved, you will have access to HOP. It's a rarity for spammers to actually get accounts now, but it has happened in the past.

Clark, doubled... Both of you now have at least 2 approved posts, so you should be A-OK to use HOP. Please send me a Private Message if you still experience issues.

Thanks,
LK

roazo
03-21-2008, 07:15 AM
Thanks Kidd.... now I will know where I'm at.:)

mrcomer
03-21-2008, 12:58 PM
If we get anymore pins on that map I will need a super widescreen monitor to see them. None

This is a good thing having all these people place their pins. I am really glad we have so many people interested.

TXBobcat
03-27-2008, 10:33 AM
I, like the rest of you, had trouble moving the pin and had to delete it and go back in and reenter the text and such.

I have found out that if I use my Streets & Trips to get the Long & Lat at my present location I can enter it into the pin's Long & Lat and it will work with out deleting it.

I then go back to see if it is showing my present location. So far it has worked.

I think this is a great tool. Every day I go into the HOP to see if anyone has move to my location or if there is anyone at the location I am going to move too.

Thanks to the Admin's for adding this tool.

Right now I am alone and lonesome. :(

irvin56
03-28-2008, 10:46 AM
cool, it took a few ( 2 well 3) trys to figure it out. Thanks Loks like only a few of us Canadians aboard or else they are all in hiding

ct0218
03-29-2008, 08:10 PM
I just looked at the HOP map and there are no pins. I don't think I did anything to make them disappear, I just don't see them. They were there last time I looked which was 4 or 5 days ago. Anyone else have that problem?

jimtoo
03-29-2008, 08:37 PM
Oh NO>> we have all vanished.. where oh where did we go????? I KNOW,,, we have gone to a far better place...,,,, Linuxkidd's delete button....

Ray LeTourneau
03-30-2008, 06:05 PM
LK, Is there a problem with the HOP? a couple days ago I was able to move my pin as we were traveling. Today I can update the location info but the pin won't say where I put it. It goes back to OKC. All the others pins have disappeared but when we click on "your entry" it show our pin but mine is not where I want it. Any thoughts? Thanks

ct0218
03-30-2008, 08:33 PM
Ray, obviously you're lost, like me!

flyfishing48
03-30-2008, 08:36 PM
Same here, I can no longer see anyones pins???

jnbhobe
03-31-2008, 06:01 AM
Same for me I can find my home location but everyone else is missing

linuxkidd
03-31-2008, 07:24 AM
Hey guys,
Thanks for pointing this out... certain characters were causing issues for the XML formatting. Code has been added to correct for those 'special' characters...

All better.. :)
LK

Oldlthrneck
03-31-2008, 07:41 AM
Hey, LK! How do I load an image for my marker tab? When I go to my info, it says to load image URL. Can we get a browse button there to load an image from my pictures?
Thanks
Fred

linuxkidd
03-31-2008, 09:52 AM
Hey Fred,
The only way to do such at thing at this point is to upload the image to the HOG and link to that image in HOP...

When you get the image loaded into HOG, get it so that you can view the thumbnail, then right click the thumbnail and hit 'Copy Image Location' (the verbage may be different in IE, but make sure you select the Image location, and not the link location for the copy )... Then go into HOP and 'Paste' the Image location into the URL area...

If you have problems, feel free to ask..
LK

Oldlthrneck
03-31-2008, 10:30 AM
Thanks. I knew there was a way to do it that us "non-techies" could understand. lol
Fred

Ray LeTourneau
10-05-2008, 04:28 PM
I've been trying to change our position on the HOP map but not having any luck. I'm able to get the new location description in but when I try zooming in to our new location and clicking on the map, nothing happens. Anyone else having this trouble?

Tom of Ypsi
10-05-2008, 04:38 PM
I had the same trouble yesterday but managed to work it out. I did not enter my new location the first time and a few other times. When I finally figured that out I accidentally pushed the little hand to some unknown spot and ended up somewhere I could not even find. I finally zoomed in to where I am now hit the little hand to that spot and I am now where I am suppose to be. Will have to do this again tomorrow, going to Mitchell, SD. Good luck and see you in 1 1/2 weeks.

Ray LeTourneau
10-05-2008, 04:40 PM
On Edit, I used MS Streets & Trips to get coordinates and put those into the HOP and now we're where we are supposed to be. I guess clicking on the map isn't working right???

TXBobcat
10-05-2008, 05:50 PM
Ray
I don't think the pointer on the map has been working right from the beginning. Like you I have used the Lat & Long from Streets & Trips to place my location..
However for those that do not have Streets & Trips this works also..
When you go into [Your Entry] and get ready for the Lat & Long, hold the shift key down and click on the [Show Main Map]. When it comes up start drilling down to where you are located and get in as close as you can. Once you make the final click on where you should be you will see the Lat & Long over to the right. Just highlite the Lat and paste it in the Lat of [Your Entry], then do the same with the Long. Go down and click on update and you should be pretty close. Works for me..

Look forward to seeing you all at the rally next week.

cdbMidland
10-06-2008, 03:36 PM
On Edit, I used MS Streets & Trips to get coordinates and put those into the HOP and now we're where we are supposed to be. I guess clicking on the map isn't working right???

That was the only way I could get my position in as well.

bigredtruck
10-06-2008, 04:17 PM
I deleted mine and started over and it seemed to work.

davelinde
11-10-2008, 10:09 PM
I think this is a slick little tool.

It was easy to add a picture... but I can't find many other people who did. Am I the only one with too much time to play with tools?

TXBobcat
11-11-2008, 08:31 AM
I actually had not thought much about using an image.. Not bad.. Is that one of where you are now or just one you took some time ago.

I might try it also.. I thought the image had something to do with the push pin..

davelinde
11-11-2008, 10:48 AM
.. Is that one of where you are now or just one you took some time ago. I thought the image had something to do with the push pin..

I also thought the image was for the marker, since you can do that in other googlemaps. But last night I was playing with it and learned what it really did.

yes that image is actually where I am right now.

wfwilson
01-04-2009, 07:32 PM
I GIVE UP HELP!!!!!!!!!
I go to my entry clean out home and all information. I enter my location. I go to the Map zoom in to AZ location and click on street and I can NOT get the marker to change it still shows home location. I have tried several times over the course of about 1 hr .
Thanks in advance for all help.
Wayne

irvin56
01-04-2009, 08:28 PM
I also had major problems
This helped and works
//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php?t=7098

Ray LeTourneau
01-04-2009, 08:33 PM
Wayne, go into the HOP main map and zoom down close to your location. Place the little hand on your spot and double click. This centers the map on your spot. Write down the lat and longitude info (from the box on the right) and then go to your entry on the HOP and enter that info and you should be good to go.

jbeletti
01-04-2009, 09:31 PM
Wayne,

Here's the How-To (http://hoot.heartlandowners.org/images/stories/hop_how-to.pdf) pdf file. It may not be perfect.

If anyone wants to take a critical look at the How-To and mark it up with changes, I will gladly make them and post the update. You can scan/email or fax me the marked up copy. Thanks for any help on this help document :)

Thanks,

Jim

TXBobcat
01-04-2009, 11:07 PM
Jim
I think your PDF instruction is good for adding the push pin the first time, however if you want to change it, it will not reinitalize the push pin. I found the way that Ray descriibes works good to relocate the push pin. However if I understand the Google directions you can delete your push pin then go back in and follow the instructions and it will place it at the new location..

The previous link indicated by irvin56 also works pretty well.

Update:
I deleted my Push Pin and attempted to redo it using the instructions in the PDF.
It will add the Push Pin the first time but will not relocate it after the first location. To relocate it I find it easist to find my location using the HOP first map, copy the Long & Lat then select the [Your Entry] field. Enter the information and the Long & Lat previously copied. I find this method works all the time. I also used Photobucket to add the image on the push pin.

Hope this works for you.

jimtoo
01-04-2009, 11:15 PM
I think what you are failing to do is delete current information at the very start. You cannot change locations, you must delete your current information and start over.

This the way I do it.

Open HOP page and click on (YOUR ENTRY), it will then show your information and location. At bottom left of the page, mark the (Delete the marker information). Then click the (update information) at bottom. A new blank map will now come up and you can click your location and zoom it in until you get your location pinpointed, then enter information you want in Marker title blank, and Marker text. Go to bottom of page and click (Insert the information). Then you will have changed your location or updated your information. The map will reload and show all the markers.

Hope this helps.

Jim M

wfwilson
01-05-2009, 10:14 PM
Thanks Everyone!! I finally got it to work with all you assistance.
Regards
Wayne