Gel Coat Finish

cdnrver

Does the Sundance have a Gel Coat finish?

Nowhere could I find on Heartland's website reference to a Gel Coat finish in the Standards and Options section.

How can you tell whether a unit has a Gel Coat finish or not?

thanks

Netem

The gel coat finish is smooth. If you look at the finish on the Sundances you will see the fibers showing in the finish. I was told its purely cosmetic not a strength thing.

fishn2dmax

Sundance uses a full gel coated fiberglass nose cose, but the rest of the coach uses high gloss filon. Filon is not the same as true gel coated fiberglass. That said, the high gloss filon has a small amount of gel and offers a reasonable alternative to the heavier and more expensive true gel coat figerglass sides.

cdnrver

thanks for the info

So, for maintaining the exterior (except for nose cap) I don't have to worry much about cleaning products that may affect gel coat.

Basically, I just wash it and then wax the exterior.

Netem

I wouldn't use anything thats not safe for gel coat on any part of the coach. I was also told not to use car wax on it as it would yellow. Use a wax thats safe for fiberglass.

truknutt

Committed Member
I used to sell Leer Truck Caps (or Toppers, depending on your neck of the woods) years ago. We used Mother's [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]California Gold® Pure Carnauba Wax [/FONT]on the painted Gel Coat caps. Awesome stuff; goes on easy and comes off the same way if you just let it start to haze.

We use it on my Dad's fiberglass boat prior to launching each season. When we pull her out, it is really easy to clean the lake crud off before storage.

Mother's has since come out with [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]California Gold® Carnauba Cleaner Wax [/FONT]which is "...[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]designed to be the one-step plan for paint preservation. Cleaner Wax is formulated to clean and protect in just one application. We use the same Brazilian #1 yellow carnauba that makes our Pure Carnauba Wax so special, and combined it with a light polish that will smooth minor flaws and make your paint snap. Carnauba Cleaner Wax is especially effective on fiberglass and gel coats. Available in long-lasting, easy-to-apply liquid or paste."[/FONT]

Attachments

• Mother's Pure Carnuba Wax.jpg
    Mother's Pure Carnuba Wax.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 19
  • Mother's Cleaner Wax.jpg
    Mother's Cleaner Wax.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 19