replacing 12 volt with 6 volt

cdnrver

I'm looking at replacing my single 12-volt battery with two 6-volt (golf cart) batteries. I've purchased an "end-to-end" battery box to hold both of the 6-volt batteries. Also adding a battery shut-off switch.

My sundance has the WFCO Power Center - here are the specs:

WFCO 8935ANP 35 Amp Power Center
Specifications:

UL, CUL and FCC Class B listed.
Two-year warranty
Model 8935, 35 Amps DC Output
Input: 105-120 VAC, 60 Hz, 8.0 Amps (600 Watt)
Output:Nominal 13.6 VDC (Includes charging and load); Boost 14.4 VDC; Sleep 13.2 VDC
Dimensions: 13-7/8” wide; 11-9/16” high; 9” deep.
Mounting cut-out: 12” wide, 11” high.
Shipping Weight: 10 lbs

Since I'm not well versed on electrical issues I need to ask a few questions:

1) I believe that Converters change AC to DC and Inverters change DC to AC? If so, does this WFCO Power Center have both a converter and inverter built in? In other words, does the converter portion of the power center convert shore power to charge the deep cell batteries, and does the inverter portion convert the battery power to run the lights etc when not connected to shore power?

2) I read somewhere that batteries can be overcharged and boil over or run dry. Do I need to buy something to add to this power center to prevent that from happening?

3) I also read somewhere that the power center is a 3-stage? Does that make it a decent product?

4) In the specs it talks about 600 watts. Does that mean that when we dry camp for a weekend that I cannot run a coffee maker inside our unit (most run around 1200 watts I understand) . Am I restricted to running only appliances that takes less than 600 watts?

5) If limited to only running appliances under 600 watts, is it possible to replace this system with something more powerful.

6) When dry camping, can the batteries be charged adequately with a generator with the 30 amp power cord plugged into generator and batteries charged through power center - or, should I disconnect the batteries and charge them using a portable battery charger plugged directly into the generator? Which is best and which would recharge the batteries better and faster?

Thanks for the help.

Netem

When dry camping I use two 12 volt batts and I run my gen. about 2 hrs a day. This seems to keep the batts charged as I camp up to two weeks like this. I just plug my 30 amp cord into my gen. You can run more than the coffee pot off your 30 amp but if you run too much at one time you will kick the breaker. Example hair dryer and electric heater at the same time.

Jimmyt5

A converter only converts a/c to dc and charges the battery. The lights in the coach are powered by the battery at 12 VDC ,also the water pump,refer circuit board, the furnace and TV ant. amp.
I don't know what rig you have but most do not have an inverter.
Model 9200 coverter has a power Wizard built in to stop the battery from boiling over.

Jim

Very good questions.

The WF8935 is a power converter/battery charger and AC distribution panel. It does not contain an inverter. The unit converts 120v AC to 12.6V DC to run all 12.6v DC devices in your trailer. These devices include your ceiling and outside lights, landing jacks and stabilizers, propane gas ignition systems and furnace fan and thermostat. The unit charges your battery at three levels, depending upon the charge state of your battery and load on the system. It also distributes and protects (when on shore power) all AC circuits in the trailer. The WF8935 will not provide AC power when on your battery alone. For this you will need a generator or, for small loads, a separate inverter.

Is it a decent product? Well, for charging your battery it does use smart technology. By that I mean it will sense when the battery is fully charged and switch to a maintenance or float mode. However, I find the DC output to be extremely "dirty". It causes interference to TV's, radios and other communication gear. The manual clearly indicates operation of the WF8935 in a residential area is likely to cause harmful interference to radio and TV reception.

If you plan to do a lot of dry camping I would buy a generator. Consider the Yamaha 2400. Connect your shore power cable to the generator and let the WF 8935 charge your batteries.

- Jack

cdnrver

thanks for the info

thanks for all the help everyone. Now I have a basic understanding how it works.

What's left now is to decide whether two 6-volts are enough or if I should go to four.

Then decide on an inverter and how to add dedicated inverter receptacles.

Then decide on a generator.

More reading required for sure but at least you guys got me on the right path.

thanks again..

SmokeyBare

OK, first... Lets make it FUN !

Why not leave the RV Un-plugged and just see what works and what doesn't. This should answer what you can RUN on the 12 Volt System. It's simple but it does help to understand that you have two complete different systems in your RV.

What You should discover is the normal 110 volt electrical outlets will not have Power.

Yet you should be able to Dry Camp using the battery power IF... your careful. There is a limited amount of storage in a typical 12 Volt Battery. To increase that amount of storage you must add additional batteries. As you have planned... by adding two additional 6 Volt " Golf Cart " Batteries... you will increase the storage and lengthen the time you can draw from the battery bank.

If you use good quality battery cables.. and connect them to the wires that presently connect to the RV's 12 Volt battery... the two additional 6 Volt batteries will be charged by the RV's Charger.

If you decide to Dry Camp... consider two different methods... one using a generator to power the electrical system... which Many do with good results.

Solar is another method... although it's complicated to learn... it allows you to charge the battery bank you install by Solar panels... and then you'll need to install an Inverter to Invert the 12 Volt power from the battery bank into 110 Volt Power for your electrical system in the RV.

Have I totally confused you? Sorry... :(

Here is a few links you might like to Look at...

Battery Wiring Schematics:

http://www.solarexpert.com/Batteries/batchart.html

Soar Electricity:

http://www.solarexpert.com/Photovoltaics.html