Over capacity with 3500 srw

oldfitter

We just brought home a new Landmark Newport and I think I am way over capacity with a 2012- 3500 SRW Ram. Dealer says your fine but I don't think so. 18000 GVW is dually capacity to my thinking after towing it home in a stiff headwind. How do I tell the other half we need a Max tow 3500 DRW Ram. No interest in other brands whatsoever.

fredwrichardson

Past New Mexico Chapter Leader
We just brought home a new Landmark Newport and I think I am way over capacity with a 2012- 3500 SRW Ram. Dealer says your fine but I don't think so. 18000 GVW is dually capacity to my thinking after towing it home in a stiff headwind. How do I tell the other half we need a Max tow 3500 DRW Ram. No interest in other brands whatsoever.

We own an Ashland and have a RAM 3500 DRW with the Aisin transmission and exhaust brake. When we went shopping for a truck we had the same issue in that most dealers in New Mexico do not have duallys sitting on the floor and most want to sell you what they have. We finally found one in Albuquerque. The best way to tell your spouse you need the DRW and towing package including the Aisin (The transmission alone will give you an additional 150 ft. pounds of torque.) is SAFETY. The landmarks are not only heavy but with 3,210 lbs. hitch weight (over 1.5 tons) you need the additional support the dual wheels and the beefed up suspension that comes with it. The Ashland rides very well behind our truck but you need all of this truck to tow this trailer.

B

BouseBill

Take the truck and trailer to the scales and run them both over, then unhitch and run just the truck, full of fuel, and all you stuff of course, and see what the numbers are. Most likely over rear axle and gross combined, but you'll never know until you scale it.
Our 2003 Dodge SRW 3500 was over just pulling the 2011 Big Country 3355RL, granted weights on the truck have gone way up since then.

oldfitter

I think I would be overtaxing everything with my SRW 3500. Tires, rear bearings, tranny, and brakes. I had air bags put on rear axle but that is just a bandaid that will pass the buck onto something else breaking. There is also a liability on my part hauling a trailer way over my trucks capacity isn't there.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
There is chance that if something were to happen that your insurance co. would not pay. You need to check with them. Also you should check with your DMV about having the correct endorsment to your drivers license. In Calif. you would have to have a class "A" non-commercial for a 5er that heavy.

branson4020

Icantre Member
I think I would be overtaxing everything with my SRW 3500. Tires, rear bearings, tranny, and brakes. I had air bags put on rear axle but that is just a bandaid that will pass the buck onto something else breaking. There is also a liability on my part hauling a trailer way over my trucks capacity isn't there.

There absolutely could be liability. But, of course, there could be liability for any number of reasons. You might cause an accident because you spill a cup of coffee on your lap. That's why you have liability insurance.

fredwrichardson

Past New Mexico Chapter Leader

Liability is one thing but your family safety is the most important. Hauling a trailer when everything is right is more stressful than just driving a car down the road but then add the extra stress that you are driving a ticking time bomb is no fun at all. Hope for the best but PLAN for the WORSE.

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
This thread made me run some numbers as I was interested in trading my North Trail in for a SUndance XLT 285Ts...wow am I surprised....I have a 2011 2500 Ram Diesel, manual, SB 4x4 mega cab...all major hits for towing...
I have not put the truck on the scale yet but will soon...The gross payload is rated for my truck at: 1840 lbs. I have a 55 gal fuel tank in the bed so here are my numbers, tell me if I made an error:
Fuel tank=350 lbs + hitch wt=150lbs+two dogs& Self=270lbs Sub ttl=770lbs leaving me with only 1070 lbs left for the fifth wheel wt...If this number is correct, I cannot pull a fifth wheel as the lightest Sundance is still 1100 lbs hitch wt.
I would have to stay with my North Trail as it makes no sense in upgrading to another TT. Until I upgrade my truck which will not be any time soon, I am stuck with what I have...and will be HAPPY about it...
Sure hope I made a mistake somewhere here.....GCVR=20,000 on my truck yet the payload for the rear end is what appears to be making the hit.....

danemayer

I think the payload spec assumes 150 lbs for the driver. Also, you might consider leaving the aux fuel tank partially or entirely empty to get back some weight.

pegmikef

This thread made me run some numbers as I was interested in trading my North Trail in for a SUndance XLT 285Ts...wow am I surprised....I have a 2011 2500 Ram Diesel, manual, SB 4x4 mega cab...all major hits for towing...
I have not put the truck on the scale yet but will soon...The gross payload is rated for my truck at: 1840 lbs. I have a 55 gal fuel tank in the bed so here are my numbers, tell me if I made an error:
Fuel tank=350 lbs + hitch wt=150lbs+two dogs& Self=270lbs Sub ttl=770lbs leaving me with only 1070 lbs left for the fifth wheel wt...If this number is correct, I cannot pull a fifth wheel as the lightest Sundance is still 1100 lbs hitch wt.
I would have to stay with my North Trail as it makes no sense in upgrading to another TT. Until I upgrade my truck which will not be any time soon, I am stuck with what I have...and will be HAPPY about it...
Sure hope I made a mistake somewhere here.....GCVR=20,000 on my truck yet the payload for the rear end is what appears to be making the hit.....

Your numbers are probably right on because I found out the same thing about my F250 when I was trading my North Trail in on a fiver . . . that's why I am now driving an F350 dually. And don't forget the 1100 pounds hitch weight is the dry weight with nothing loaded (e.g., batteries, propane tanks, and "stuff").

Doublegranch

Dan: Thanks.... So I can deduct 150 from my numbers....but that tank full sure is nice on a long trip...I just didn't want to push the "limit"
I am totally shocked at the limits on this Truck...I need to gain several hundred more pounds to even consider the 285 with its hitch wt.

Doublegranch

In figuring out the RV fifth wheel wt, I took the gross wt of the Sundance 9900 lbs and took 20% for the hitch wt...I think that should make my numbers close..

Doublegranch

Dan: Just re ran a number...if the Sundance is 9900 gross, 20% = 1980 and my payload gross is 1840....I would have to remove the fuel tank and leave the Girls at home....
Am I missing anything????

danemayer

Nope - you've got it about right. Your truck's payload of 1840 is on the low side for a 2500. But if you're getting that off the door sticker, that's what it is.

20% of GVWR is an approximation of pin weight. Depending on the design of the trailer and how you load it, the actual weight might be at 15%.

There are a lot of people who tow heavier rigs with 2500s and use airbags to fix the squatting problem. But of course that leaves other issues unfixed. My main concerns would be safe handling in bad road conditions and excessive wear and tear on the rear end of the truck.

Doublegranch

You are correct...as the law suite should you get into an accident would be horrific...
I just checked on the 2015 2500 and not much improvement = 1930 lbs auto 6 sp, mega
the 3500 srw moves it up to 6680 payload, but not sure if I was looking at the 4x4 or 4x2...

So guess this year will be to carry on with what I have.....
Thanks for your help.

SilverRhino

You are correct...as the law suite should you get into an accident would be horrific...
I just checked on the 2015 2500 and not much improvement = 1930 lbs auto 6 sp, mega
the 3500 srw moves it up to 6680 payload, but not sure if I was looking at the 4x4 or 4x2...

So guess this year will be to carry on with what I have.....
Thanks for your help.

So good to see someone that is using common sense and putting their families, as well as mine, safety first! Seems that the rule today is "if I can move it, I can tow it"..... Good to know that some people are still checking and doing their homework before hitting the road. Kudos to Doublegranch!!