What do you pull your NEW LM Newport with?

Georgia_Biker

We love the New Landmark Newport and are considering moving up from our Big Horn 3610RE - currently pulled by a Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie - Cummins. Simply put - what are you pulling it with?
We favor Dodge-

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
The Newport is a heavy rig with a heavy GVWR. I would not pull it with anything less than a late model 1 Ton dually. However, you'll probably get a plethora of different answers on here. "What do I need to pull it with" questions always seem to elicit a wide range of answers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DocFather

I agree with Gus. 1-ton dually and though I have, for the most part, been a Chevy diesel truckboy, it really doesn't matter GM, Ford or Dodge, as long as you got the pulling power and stopping capabilities for your load.

danemayer

The Newport has a GVWR of 18,000 lbs but it's not just about being able to pull 18,000 lbs. You need to look at payload too.

Although the empty pin weight spec is 3,210 lbs, you should plan on the loaded trailer being closer to 20% of GVWR, or 3,600 lbs. Add to that the weight of your hitch, bed liner, bed cover, tools, pets, passengers, firewood and anything else in the truck and your actual vertical load on the truck will probably approach 4,500 lbs. Check the actual payload spec on the specific truck you're considering to make sure it's at least that high. It should be printed on the label inside the drivers side door.

A new RAM 3500 Dually with appropriate configuration and options will easily do the job. But check the actual numbers on the truck you're look at.

You can get more info at Fifth Wheel Safe Towing.

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
I pull my 365 Newport with my 1 ton F-350 dually. I'm not as concerned about the truck as I am about the 5th wheel hitch.

Bryced15

We are full time in our Newport and pull it with a Ford F-350 DRW. We took the rig across the CAT scales on our last trip. The trailer, with all tanks empty, came in at 17,940 pounds, and the pin weight was at 3,720 pounds. The truck weighed in at 9,300 pounds full of fuel. GCWR = 27,240 pounds.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    268.7 KB · Views: 58

porthole

Retired
I think no matter how you slice it, the Newport is a newer DRW pick up or bigger.

And Bryce's CAT scale ticket confirms what I believed from the first day I saw the Newport. You would be over GVRW with normal camp stuff before adding a drop of water.

Bryced15

I think no matter how you slice it, the Newport is a newer DRW pick up or bigger.

And Bryce's CAT scale ticket confirms what I believed from the first day I saw the Newport. You would be over GVRW with normal camp stuff before adding a drop of water.

Keep in mind Duane that we have Mor/Ryde IS installed which added a significant amount of weight to the coach. Without the IS, there could be extra GVWR leftover for water.

porthole

Retired
So maybe add 700 pounds for the IS.
We wouldn't have a trailer without the IS, so for me, it is a given and needs to be factored in.
But taking the IS away, you are still near the limit without water. Would be nice if the the pin box capacity was added to the GVW to bump it up to at least 18,500

fredwrichardson

Past New Mexico Chapter Leader
We love the New Landmark Newport and are considering moving up from our Big Horn 3610RE - currently pulled by a Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie - Cummins. Simply put - what are you pulling it with?
We favor Dodge-

We have the Ashland but the specs are very close to the Newport. We have a RAM 3500 DRW with Aisin transmission. It tows the Ashland fine but it takes ALL of the truck to tow it. Your Big Horn has a hitch weight of 2,115 lbs. The Newport's hitch weight is 3,210 lbs. With 1.5 ton in the bed of your truck you need the dually.

Georgia_Biker

Hey Dan!

Thanks for your recommendation - I was afraid that is where we were going to wind up. I also appreciate everyone else's comments.

Now we have to consider the upgrade cost to a DRW and a truck that will not fit in our garage along side our other vehicle. In addition the upgrade cost to the Newport.

I don't think this will happen quickly but we'll see.

Thanks

fredwrichardson

Past New Mexico Chapter Leader
Hey Dan!

Thanks for your recommendation - I was afraid that is where we were going to wind up. I also appreciate everyone else's comments.

Now we have to consider the upgrade cost to a DRW and a truck that will not fit in our garage along side our other vehicle. In addition the upgrade cost to the Newport.

I don't think this will happen quickly but we'll see.

Thanks

My dually won't fit in my garage if it was the only thing in it for it is to long. A small price to pay to have a real cool truck. When I drive it in town all the construction workers give me the thumbs up.

AAdams

I don't have the Landmark. After looking at RAM's web site, since you prefer RAM, a Ram 3500 CC DRW 8' bed with a 3.73 and regular automatic transmission will pull it, but will be close to the limit of the truck. The truck would be rated 18,650 tow capacity. If you add the Aisin transmission with the 3.73 you can tow 23,250. With either set up you will not have a payload problem with either set up. IMO the Aisin would be better choice though. Running a truck at the limit will cause problems in the long run IMO.

Now about the hitch. Using the scale report above may I suggest a Hensley TS3. It is rated at 20k and pin at 4.5k. This hitch is not cheap ( about $3200 with adapter) is heavy ( ship weight was 427# with the Reese adapter) but has 2 air bags to help smooth the ride. The BD3 is rated at 18k but with the above weigh ticket you would be above the pin rating of 3.5k.

As Dan said before, make sure you check the specs on the sticker on the truck.

Last edited:

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
My dually won't fit in my garage if it was the only thing in it for it is to long. A small price to pay to have a real cool truck. When I drive it in town all the construction workers give me the thumbs up.

DW drives ours quite a bit. She's not afraid to take it to the grocery or the mall. She just parks it a little further out from the door and takes two or three spaces. I think she enjoys the envious looks she gets also. By the way, she also pulls the rig. Drove over 200 miles last weekend.

oldfitter

I just towed our new Landmark Newport home with a 3500 SRW Dodge and was white knuckling it in a stiff headwind. Working on stepping up to a new 3500 DRW with the Aisin tranny. Then I will be good for about 37000 LBS. GCW. Don't try it with a 2500.

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
DW drives ours quite a bit. She's not afraid to take it to the grocery or the mall. She just parks it a little further out from the door and takes two or three spaces. I think she enjoys the envious looks she gets also. By the way, she also pulls the rig. Drove over 200 miles last weekend.

Hey Gus, can you have Deb talk to Carol??!! While Carol has driven my DW "as a measure of last resort" she flat out refuses to try driving it with the rig behind it. Says that's my job!! :(:rolleyes:

Georgia_Biker

Alan-

Thanks for your research! If you are going to step up you might as well be first class, but having a tow truck that is safe and strong is the most important! In addition I was interested in your comment about the Hensley Hitch - I think the importance of a good hitch is often overlooked.

AAdams

Alan-

Thanks for your research! If you are going to step up you might as well be first class, but having a tow truck that is safe and strong is the most important! In addition I was interested in your comment about the Hensley Hitch - I think the importance of a good hitch is often overlooked.

Your welcome.

I just did all this research back when we were upgrading our truck from a '07 GMC 3500. I mentioned the hitch because after seeing the scale report that Bryced15 posted. I didn't remember too many hitches that could actually handle over 3.5k, but I didn't look at that many to be honest once I saw the TS3.

I am with you though, safety is very important. As others on the forum have stated, you will not regret buying to much truck, just regret buying not enough truck.

Brazos

Regarding the hitch, the folks that have the Hensley TS3 Trail Saver hitch will identify with my experience. As part of the deal on the new Bighorn I worked in a TS3. It gives the best ride I have experienced. I had airbags on my last truck and they do not do the same job as airbags on the hitch does and the TS3 also has two shocks with the airbags. You simply hitch up your rig and air the hitch to the factory mark for height and you are ready to go. You don't have to add air every time you hitch up. I added the Hensley air pump after I got the hitch and the hitch is installed on my hitch rails I had from my Reese hitch. Just push a button on the side of the hitch and watch the hitch raise to the proper height. Very smooth ride. If you over inflate the hitch the ride will let you know. The TS3 is not cheap but it will be your last hitch you will need to buy. Hensley have great people to work with and they assemble these hitches when you order them to assure proper fit. When I called to order my add on pump they actually remembered my hitch and dealer order.

The Newport has a GVWR of 18,000 lbs but it's not just about being able to pull 18,000 lbs. You need to look at payload too.

Although the empty pin weight spec is 3,210 lbs, you should plan on the loaded trailer being closer to 20% of GVWR, or 3,600 lbs. Add to that the weight of your hitch, bed liner, bed cover, tools, pets, passengers, firewood and anything else in the truck and your actual vertical load on the truck will probably approach 4,500 lbs. Check the actual payload spec on the specific truck you're considering to make sure it's at least that high. It should be printed on the label inside the drivers side door.

A new RAM 3500 Dually with appropriate configuration and options will easily do the job. But check the actual numbers on the truck you're look at.

You can get more info at Fifth Wheel Safe Towing.

This above is the most important, I personally bought a 2008 F-350 4x4 SWD for a 5th wheel yet to be purchased, time got away from us, time we purchased our dream unit we ended up with the 2015 LM Ashland in October 2014, we realized that the truck was not appropriate for the 5th.

2 days later after signing on the dotted line for the Ashland, by a stroke of our good luck, a owner traded his 2014 F-450 Lariat King Ranch 4x4 6.7 L twin turbo DRW in.

I have never been so impressed, I always have to look in my mirrors to make sure it is still behind me. Will not really,I sure know when taking off from a traffic light.

Could have gone with the F-350, but the 450 has a bigger brake package but it's everything we wanted or needed with this one.

Just waiting to put in for permanent vacation, and heading out and meeting everyone out on the road trip of our lives.

Shawn and Murielle with Pepper and Biscotti our furry children