Inverter power for refrigerator in gateway 3650bh

I recently purchased a Gateway3650bh. We camp seasonally and have full time shore power. On occasion the power goes out. My questions are:

1) If the shore power goes out, does the inverter automatically turn on to run the refrigerator or does it manually have to be switched on inside the coach for power to be restored to the fridge?

2) If the inverter does not automatically switch on, is it ok to switch the inverter on and leave it on while hooked to shore power full time?

Reason for the above question is I want to be sure I always have power to fridge whether I'm there or not. With previous trailer we had the dual ac/12 volt and propane fridge so never had to worry about power failure.

thanks for your help,

Summerdream

jimtoo

Re: Inverter power for refrigerator in gateway3650bh

Hi Summerdream,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

I'm sure some of our other members with a newer unit will jump in soon with some info for you.

Be sure and check out our Heartland Owners Club. Join us at a rally when you can and meet lots of the great folks here and make friends for a lifetime.

Enjoy the forum and your new unit.

Jim M

Jim.Allison

How much battery capacity do you have?

I recently purchased a Gateway3650bh. We camp seasonally and have full time shore power. On occasion the power goes out. My questions are:

1) If the shore power goes out, does the inverter automatically turn on to run the refrigerator or does it manually have to be switched on inside the coach for power to be restored to the fridge?

2) If the inverter does not automatically switch on, is it ok to switch the inverter on and leave it on while hooked to shore power full time?

Reason for the above question is I want to be sure I always have power to fridge whether I'm there or not. With previous trailer we had the dual ac/12 volt and propane fridge so never had to worry about power failure.

thanks for your help,

Summerdream

danemayer

Hi Summerdream,

I believe the inverter has to be restarted after an interruption of 12V DC power. So if you turn the battery cutoff switch(es) OFF, or remove the batteries, you'll have to start the inverter. Once it's ON, if the 110V AC power drops, the automatic transfer switch should change over automatically so that the inverter output is routed to the refrigerator. When shore power is restored, the transfer switch will change over to use shore power again. The inverter should remain ON until the next time it's needed.

I'm not aware of any reason you couldn't leave the inverter ON all the time.

Hi Dan,

thanks for for the reply! I will turn the inverter switch on once I get setup for the season. I just wanted to bounce my questions off a few people as I'm a newbie with the inverter.

justafordguy

No problem leaving the inverter turned on while on shore power, I leave mine on all the time.

You are going to love your 3650BH, we sure love ours.;)

Jonh76

Good thread because I was confused with functioning of inverter as well on our first trip out in our Gateway 3650BH this weekend.

Thanks
Jon