2015 Ram 3500 bed height.

sunriverman

Looking at the new 3500 Ram. Rear bed height is 39 -40".

Seems like that height creates problems in getting a level 5th wheel with my
New Reese Titan hitch. Any thoughts?

How much height adjustment does the titan have?

We have a Curt 24k on its highest setting

3,300lb pin weight and over a 1,000lbs our truck still rides rear high but 5ver is level

danemayer

Looking at the new 3500 Ram. Rear bed height is 39 -40".

Seems like that height creates problems in getting a level 5th wheel with my
New Reese Titan hitch. Any thoughts?
A lot of people have been getting 2014-2015 RAM 3500s over the past year without having height problems. We got a 2014 RAM 3500 dually with 17" wheels. It settles down under the pin weight and rides level.

EPaulikonis

I have a 3500 dually and tow a Landmark hooked to an ISR Pro Series 20K hitch. Pin wt. at 3,400 squats the truck to just below bed rails being parallel with bottom of the camper. I also use ~35-60psi in my Firestone airbags to level and that's based on weight I add in bed of truck and basement of 5er; still experimenting with air pressure to figure out what gives a better ride feel. I have plenty of clearance between the camper and bed rails; don't have a specific measure, but I know it's in excess of 9" and min bed rail clearance recommended is 6".

The Reese Titan 16K appears to have at least 4-height options, so the hitch is plenty flexible. I'd recommend leveling the trailer and measure distance from bottom of the pin to ground. Subtract height of hitch and another 2" since you'll need a picture frame assembly to attach the Reese hitch onto the new puck system used by Ram in the 2014+ build. The product of this math should get you close to the bottom of the bed rather than the bed rail height. If you're within ~7" you shouldn't have any problem with leveling the rig.

The next check would be to measure from the bottom edge where the pin box is attached. I would compare that measurement to the height of the bed rail directly over the axle. That will give you a true measure of clearance regardless of how level the trailer is since it's at the pivot point of the truck/trailer connection. This is the max clearance you'd have.

This is the same process I used when purchasing our Landmark and truck comb. Not a perfect answer, but it should get you in the ballpark to feel more comfortable on how it will all fit together.

sunriverman

Good advice. I am removing my Reese in bed rails and remounting
with new brackets for the Ram. Your method to calculate still works.
Last resort is to reverse the spring mount to level the fiver if needed.

Bones

Here is my set up. It rides level. I have it on Trailer height which is about 1.5 inches lower than ride height.

IMG_20150907_170257.jpg