Suburban Heater Plastic Fan Blew Apart

Randor

Two days after I bought my Cyclone 4150 last month, about 1 am, I awoke to a loud chattering noise followed by an explosion coming from under the master bed. Initially I thought it was a water hose bursting since the UDC is in that area. I discovered it wasn't the water hose (temperatures were about 15 degrees). I soon realized that the heat had went out. When I tried to restart the heater per the manual, it initially kicked on but self aborted because the propane wouldn't light off.

I called the dealer and they said they would take care of it, but I live 2.5 hours away out in the middle of the Colorado Rockies. They told me to call Heartland. I talked to HL, they were very friendly, and they told me I would have to pay to have someone take it out, assess what was wrong, and deal directly with Suburban for repairs. If Suburban wouldn't deal with me directly I was to call them back. The dealer also said if I could take it out or have it taken out and send it to them they would return it for repair or replacement.

Finally got the local HVAC guy that works on RV's to come by to take it out and assess it (actually lives 3 doors down from me - he's just that busy). When he opened it up we discovered that one half of the two sided plastic blower fan had in fact blew up and disintegrated leaving bunches of pieces of fan blades scattered inside. Unfortunately, with the heater removed, I cant use any other propane appliances until I can get a plug for the hose.

My repair guy said he has the same type Suburban heater in his RV and its gone out multiple times and, of all the brands he services, Suburban heaters have this problem a lot. The plastic fans don't save that much weight and just don't have the strength of a metal fan - in his opinion.

Pieces of fan blade laying on bottom of unit.

2015-04-27 15.49.13.jpg

The fan cage showing one side of the blades missing - you can see where they attached.

2015-04-27 15.56.02.jpg

Pieces plowing off the fan took out the sail switch. The sail switch moves when there is air flow. If there is no air flow then the system will not allow the propane to light off or continue burning. A nice little safety feature.

2015-04-27 15.57.12.jpg

Fan blades.

2015-04-27 16.19.16.jpg

rxbristol

First I've heard of this. Is there an upgrade or do you have to replace with another plastic fan?

happykraut

If your HL dealer is a long way from your home, you can take it to a Suburban service center for repair. It has a 2 year warranty.

Randor

If your HL dealer is a long way from your home, you can take it to a Suburban service center for repair. It has a 2 year warranty.

I found a local guy that does work on Suburban products, but wasn't an authorized repair facility. He is now - lol. Suburban did send the replacement parts, but I had to pay the $250 for the service call and time to take it out, replace parts, and reinstall it. Seems like a poor warranty that doesn't cover all costs associated with the repair, especially after owning it for only 2 days.

danemayer

I found a local guy that does work on Suburban products, but wasn't an authorized repair facility. He is now - lol. Suburban did send the replacement parts, but I had to pay the $250 for the service call and time to take it out, replace parts, and reinstall it. Seems like a poor warranty that doesn't cover all costs associated with the repair, especially after owning it for only 2 days.

If the service guy comes to you, you can expect to pay his travel time charges. The warranty should cover the labor to repair the unit.

If Suburban authorized him to do the repair, he would typically bill them according to their warranty service schedule. Sometimes repair people don't want to do that and expect you to seek reimbursement from the warranty provider. You might give Suburban a call to see if they'll reimburse any of what you were charged - and if he is really an authorized repair facility.

Randor

He wasn't an authorized repair facility when I first contacted him. He made contact with Suburban and they authorized him. I didn't have to pay for the parts, but I did have to pay for the service call to take it out and put it back in.