New Computer

danemayer

Just got the new laptop computer set up. Unfortunately, the old one was falling apart in a couple of places and could have stopped working at any time.

The new one turns on and boots up Windows 8.1 in 13 seconds! Photoshop CS4 launches and is ready to go in 5 seconds. MS Word 2013 opens in about 3 seconds.

The C drive is a 256 GB solid state drive.

DocFather

images

fredwrichardson

Past New Mexico Chapter Leader
Just got the new laptop computer set up. Unfortunately, the old one was falling apart in a couple of places and could have stopped working at any time.

The new one turns on and boots up Windows 8.1 in 13 seconds! Photoshop CS4 launches and is ready to go in 5 seconds. MS Word 2013 opens in about 3 seconds.

The C drive is a 256 GB solid state drive.

Wow a 256 GB solid state drive. You can't go any faster than that. Was it expensive?

danemayer

I think it added $150 or $200 to the price. Also has a 1 TB conventional drive. 16 GB memory, brand new i7 CPU, 17" touch screen.

fredwrichardson

I think it added $150 or $200 to the price. Also has a 1 TB conventional drive. 16 GB memory, brand new i7 CPU, 17" touch screen.

Sounds like it is loaded. If you use PhotoShop you need the horsepower. I have a Dell laptop that I have to have for work when I am on the road. Unfortunately the firm will not let me use my own so I am looking at having my own personal laptop. If you do not mind who is it made by?

danemayer

HP Envy 17T - the $500 discount from the HP store closed the deal. No one else was even close on features, capacity and performance.

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
Dan you the man!! I bought a new one two years ago because mine was falling apart too.....still going.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I can't say something nice, so I won't say anything... except it's nice to launch PS in 3 seconds on my Mac. ;)

DocFather

Why do some of you guys have to make a ****ing contest out of a down-to-earth thread about a good topic? Who gives a crap whether someone has a Chevy, Dodge or Ford Laptop.

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
Why do some of you guys have to make a ****ing contest out of a down-to-earth thread about a good topic? Who gives a crap whether someone has a Chevy, Dodge or Ford Laptop.

Might be we all know each other and Erika's just making sport with Dan:angel:

danemayer

MACs are so easy to operate Erika has to watch out for the cats. They might just order a bunch of cat toys from Amazon.

jdfishing

Hey Dan: Hope you like the Windows 8.1. I find it awkward after having Windows 7. There are a few things that just defy common sense. I was told there will be an upgrade coming sometime around the middle of 2015. But this thing is fast.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Was thinking that after I posted. Thanks :p

All in good fun, truly!

But I can say, as a graphic designer, working in a Mac environment is the norm. When I took a job doing the same thing but on PCs/Windows it was MUCH more challenging. :-/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fredwrichardson

Hey Dan: Hope you like the Windows 8.1. I find it awkward after having Windows 7. There are a few things that just defy common sense. I was told there will be an upgrade coming sometime around the middle of 2015. But this thing is fast.

Windows 8 and 8.1 was a major step back for Microsoft. In their efforts to make windows a tablet OS they screwed up the ability to quickly find anything. Windows 10 should fix this error by actually having two different interfaces depending on what device it is on. Us people that want a REAL Start button will get it but if you want the touch screen look and feel you can have that too. I am a windows person but I have to admit that Apple has done a much better job of listening to their customers.

danemayer

I can't say I care for the Win 8 interface. It's yet another forced transition that requires me to abandon methods I've used for years. I doubt I'll upgrade the OS - such upgrades can really be problematic for device drivers because it's never just one area that gets changed.

pday1213

I can't say I care for the Win 8 interface. It's yet another forced transition that requires me to abandon methods I've used for years. I doubt I'll upgrade the OS - such upgrades can really be problematic for device drivers because it's never just one area that gets changed.
I agree with you Dan. Got my new laptop with Windows 8.1 installed and it is a big change from using Windows XP and Windows 7. I don't like it at all and can't wait until MS releases Windows 10 so I can upgrade it

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I got Win 8 the first day if was available. What a mistake. Hated it.
Then 8.1 arrived, a little better but a still don't like although I am getting comfortable using it.
Like you said Dan, "another forced transition".
But if we don't keep up with it at some point in time there will no longer be support for the older versions.

Peace
Dave