2013 landmark roof de lamination

sanbullet

Has anyone had a problem with there roof system coming up it seems like mine is delaminating you can tell it's not just the roof membrane but the board with the roof material starting to come up or un glued

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
It would be great if we could see a picture of your roof.
I think that if the roof underlayment is coming up it might be from water. Just a thought on my end.
Is this in an area that could have gotten wet? Have you looked at the caulking in that area?

Peace
Dave

Garypowell

I have notice the edges of the wood under the membrane move up and down at the junctions. Mine is a 2013 also so I'll be watching with interest.

I I have not been overly concerned to this point.

jaxonwood

I have a 2010 Landmark Augusta, it looks like I am going to get a new roof as the original installation is quite suspect and the forward 6 feet EDPM is not adhered to the plywood and seems near to tearing free. I didn't know any better when I first bought the rig (new) but I had noticed that the radius moldings that run the full length were simply not tacked down to the roof and the EDPM simply tented from the edge of the molding an inch or two until making adherence to the plywood. I remember the salesman/owner mentioning the random spots where the material formed a bubble saying it was normal. My impression and guess at this point, reflecting back to the economic collapse that shook the country at the time this rig was built probably means there was some sheer incompetence performing someor much of the work during that period at least. I now think there is no excuse for failing to tack down the entire edge of that molding in preparation for adhesive and membrane and as I and the RV service shop inspected the roof last week, we cannot see any explanation for the membrane to be completely unfixed from the plywood in the front 6 feet - leaving me with further suspicions about build quality.

Attachments

• 20150904_091828.jpg
    20150904_091828.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 70

wdk450

My metal edge 1/4 circle moldings along both sides of the length of the roof show signs of pulling away from the wood plywood pieces with edges raised 1/4 inch above the wood, and nail heads prominent under the rubber membrane. I cannot afford a new rubber roof, and repairs of the underlying layers at this time. Maybe someday I will slit the rubber roof along this nailhead line, replace the nails with screws secured against backing out with adhesive, go over the slit in the rubber membrane with Dicor repair tape and lap sealant, and finish up with a coat of 15 year guaranteed paint-on epdm roofing.

danemayer

I have a 2010 Landmark Augusta, it looks like I am going to get a new roof as the original installation is quite suspect and the forward 6 feet EDPM is not adhered to the plywood and seems near to tearing free. I didn't know any better when I first bought the rig (new) but I had noticed that the radius moldings that run the full length were simply not tacked down to the roof and the EDPM simply tented from the edge of the molding an inch or two until making adherence to the plywood. I remember the salesman/owner mentioning the random spots where the material formed a bubble saying it was normal. My impression and guess at this point, reflecting back to the economic collapse that shook the country at the time this rig was built probably means there was some sheer incompetence performing someor much of the work during that period at least. I now think there is no excuse for failing to tack down the entire edge of that molding in preparation for adhesive and membrane and as I and the RV service shop inspected the roof last week, we cannot see any explanation for the membrane to be completely unfixed from the plywood in the front 6 feet - leaving me with further suspicions about build quality.

Putting on a new roof is pretty expensive - could run $8-10K. It's also pretty invasive. The A/C units, fans and vents get removed, the ladder gets removed. The Dicor EPDM gets cut at front and rear caps and is pulled up, damaging the luan underneath. The luan has to be sanded smooth and a new layer glued down. Then more adhesive and a new layer of EPDM. The A/C units, fans, vents and ladder get put back. All of those things get re-caulked, along with the new front and rear seams.

The caulking at front and rear seams will need to be carefully watched and maintained. And all that work creates lots of opportunity for mistakes.

Given that the trailer is 6 years old, maybe you should consider making a couple of cuts to inject adhesive. Then lay down Eternabond over the cuts.