Warmest, cheapest camping in winter?

ChopperBill

Looking for ideas for next winter. We spent 5 weeks in the Parker, AZ area last winter and may spend 2+ months next winter. We stayed in a park on the Colorado River for $230 @ month, included (crappy) water. It has been pretty chilly the last 2 years and some days pretty nasty. What are you favorite WARM winter spots? Boon docking is OK as long as (good) water and a dump is readily available.

Oldlthrneck

Just an Old Jarhead
Many people spend winters in S. Texas. We have been here since last November and love it. There are places all along the S. Texas Coast. We are in Kemah, just southeast of Houston. We checked out a lot of parks, when we first got here and on line before we got here and the prices range from $240 a month all the way up to about $700. Some include electric and some don't.
We are pretty fortunate, in that, my work takes me all over the country and we get a chance to see and experience many places before I retire. Lets us get a good preview of where we want to stay and where we don't.
Fred

SmokeyBare

Cheap is parking at the Imperial Dam location near Yuma but just inside the California Line. They have dry camping for $ 75.00 annual pass. There is a good dump station as well as public rest rooms with two out side shower's on each restroom building.

Down side is Water will come from the Colorado River... same stuff you mentioned above. I already mentioned it was dry camping... the next issue might be dust... as when the wind blows... and it will... dust kicks up from the Imperial Sand Dunes near by... Most in buy drinking water from the several stops along the highway... that sell Salt Free Water from 25 cents a gallon or less.

I'd check out Rio Grand Valley...
there are hundreds of RV Parks. I always figure.. paying around $ 10.00 a day to park... how can you go wrong ?? That fee includes water... sewer... and the other benefits the park might offer.

rustyone

Having spent winters in Arizona, Texas and Florida I have found that warmest and cheapest do not always go together. Florida gets my vote. Price line seems to be anything above Tampa will be cheaper. But they also get the coolest and rainier weather. Fort Myers and south best weather but also the further south you go the more costly the stay. I wish I could find some place 80 deg. and $100/month, but then I wake up from that dream and face the facts.

Rusty

Tom of Ypsi

Florida also get my vote but the RGV is the cheapest by far. We paid $1075 for 4 months plus electric, 13 cents per KWH. There is so much to do in the valley and if you want to you can stay busy 24/7. We are currently in Lake Wales, Fl and the temps are about the same as the RGV but the humidity is much higher here. Wind and dust are big factors in the RGV but it is nicer than the snow. We are going back to Donna, Tx later this year right after the Southwest Regional Heartland Rally in Spring, Tx this October.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
We second the RGV...love it so much we bought a lot in Mission, TX. Wind isn't that bad, no worse than being at the beach somewhere, and it's virtually always warm!

Hey Tom...we'll be at the rally in October too and will be headed back to valley...have to get together in both locations!! See Ya Soon!!

ChopperBill

Thanks for the Rio Grande Valley tips. Good scenery? Got spoiled on the Colorado river.
294280484.jpg

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
I like West Texas high desert...nice weather most of the time...pretty nice locals...and being from Texas originally, I fit in.

Prices aren't too bad...but, you can find yourself at a campground that is 40 miles to the closest grocery store!

Just sit outside, smoke drink coffee...and listen to the coyotes.

wfwilson

Founding Canadian Region Director - Retired
We spent Jan in Port Isabel and Feb in Westlaco in the RGV the price in RGV was good but I did not like the constant Wind. It got as high as 55 MPH one day dust over everything.
Having said that there is lots to do and great fun in the area .
Regards
Wayne

Last edited by a moderator:

Greselda

Hi Retired4Fun...

My DH and I had a place on the Colorado River, just south of Parker, AZ (Lost Lake), and as we said "had" a place, because of little to no water!!!

Where did you stay, it looks real nice and because your picture looks like it was somewhere on the Parker strip???

Thanks for all the good info, we are newbies to RV'n and we just picked up our brand new Sundance XLT 265RK today......whoo-hoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Ricky and Lucy"

ChopperBill

Hi Retired4Fun...

My DH and I had a place on the Colorado River, just south of Parker, AZ (Lost Lake), and as we said "had" a place, because of little to no water!!!

Where did you stay, it looks real nice and because your picture looks like it was somewhere on the Parker strip???

Thanks for all the good info, we are newbies to RV'n and we just picked up our brand new Sundance XLT 265RK today......whoo-hoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Ricky and Lucy"
Hi! That pic is in LaPaz County Park. It was taken in mid November when I took the trailer down. It was beautiful then. But when we were down there in January it was not near as nice. Was that way the last two years. Not sure we want to chance it again this coming winter.