Hot Water Pressure Problem

GandC

2008 3670RL Bighorn

The pressure for the hot water goes down to completely none after turning on for about 5 seconds. This happens at the kitchen sink and the bathroom sink. Any suggestions why?

jimtoo

Hi GandC,

We could use a little more information please. Does this happen only with the water pump on or also when hooked to outside service?
Has it been working OK and suddenly done this? Have you changed anything in the water system that may have caused this? Has anyone been behind the basement wall working on something?

Please let us know.

I also changed thread title so folks will know what your looking for.

Jim M

GandC

I am hooked up in a RV park. Problem just started late this afternoon when I started doing the dishes. Nobody has messed with anything. I am running the hot water on propane. I got a larger propane tank delivered and the propane delivery driver hooked me up. That was Wednesday - everything was working fine until late this afternoon.

jimtoo

Should not be to hard to fix. Just remove couple wall panels in storage so you can get to back of water heater. I would suggest you you disconnect water and power just to be safe. Be very careful removing the check valve as I believe it is plastic and have heard of some breaking and then being a problem to remove the plastic from the heater. I think you will have a white or blue line going in and red line coming out for the hot water. This is where you check valve should be, on the outlet of the heater. A new check can be purchased at any of the big hardware stores and it should be metal also... I have heard of some not putting a check valve back in also.

Let us know how it goes.

Jim M

You might disconnect water and drain some water from heater and then hook up again.. who knows it might start working again.

danemayer

If you'd like some pictures and step-by-step instructions on changing the check valve, take a look at our Water Heater Troubleshooting Guide, starting on p14.

With plastic check valves, the longer they're in place, the more likely they are to become brittle and break apart when you try to remove them. Once you start, you're committed, so make sure you allow plenty of time and have everything you need.

TedS

If you run only hot water, is it the flow of water that decreases or is it the temperature that decreases but the flow stays steady? If it is just that the temperature that drops, check the outside shower valves and make sure both are closed tight.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Also be sure to turn off the water heater well ahead of time to allow the water to cool some to prevent scalding.
Be safe.

Peace
Dave

GandC

Sorry not to respond last night-I lost internet connection. We are in the mountains at a resort and they don't have their wifi up yet.
As Jimtoo suggested, I will first try draining some water from heater then hook up again.
TedS- the hot water flow decreases to no flow at all. Cold water flow is fine.
Thanks to all for helping me - branson4020, cookie and danemayer too.

My husband is not here to trouble shoot all the suggestions. There are a couple of guys in the park willing to help me. I will keep you posted on our progress! Thanks again!

GandC

This is a follow up on my hot water pressure problem.

i ended up calling a RV repair man. This is what he did.

Drained hot water heater. Replaced anode rod, replaced thermostat and replace check valve.

Everything works fine now. Thanks to all who replied to my thread!

Chris