How Tall are You......

SilverRhino

Heard from a good friend yesterday that made his maiden voyage with his new Motorhome. They had taken it out over the past weekend to a favorite fishing spot they have been visiting for years......the only difference on this trip was the new coach instead of the old TT.

He had installed a rooftop carrier to hold lawn chairs etc. and down the road they went. Unfortunately the new rig was just a "little" taller than the old one and well......It did not fit through one overpass! Fortunately they only lost the new carrier with minimal damage to the new coach!

Good reminder to keep up with the clearances on any route you may travel. The best way I have found is this download with the largest database of clearance heights that I have found and is extremely easy to load into your GPS. For less than $50, the lifetime subscription will help to keep you and the top of your rig safe as you travel North America. You can also purchase a yearly subscription, but the lifetime is a much better deal.

The data is available for Garmin, Microsoft Streets & Trips, Google Earth, TomTom, MapSource, and Rand McNally. You can access all of the formats that you require for your personal use. Go to LowClearances.com to update or get your Lifetime subscription. This is by far the best source I have found for low clearances and is very easy to use. This is very cheap insurance and will offer you peace of mind while you travel.

Travel Safe!

DocFather

Roof cleaning 101

maxresdefault.jpg

low-bridge-fifth-746926.jpg

Trailer-underpass.jpg

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
I went to the link LowClearances.combut it doesn't show how the format arrives and in what form? Is it a CD, digital file you download? I have a 2011 Dodge with the GPS built in the dash, it can only be upgraded via a CD. Will this work with my current Garmin program in my truck? any help is appreciated.

fredwrichardson

Past New Mexico Chapter Leader
I went to the link LowClearances.combut it doesn't show how the format arrives and in what form? Is it a CD, digital file you download? I have a 2011 Dodge with the GPS built in the dash, it can only be upgraded via a CD. Will this work with my current Garmin program in my truck? any help is appreciated.

I also have the RAM truck with Garmin GPS. Mine is a 2014. The RAM Garmin system does not do Low Clearance. I had to buy the RV 760LMT GPS that I use when towing the 5th wheel. With that GPS you can tell it in advance how long and tall your RV is and it will warn you and even redirect you around areas that you will not fit. It will also avoid dead end streets where you can not turn around. It is not perfect but it is better than damaging your RV on a overpass.

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
Fred: Thanks, I don't have any worries with my North Trail TT, but thought it would be nice if I could upgrade the Trucks built in system.
My Garmin is out of date but I won't spend the $150 for a CD for only a minor update to the Ram program. I can buy a new Garmin for that
price...but the built in system is really a nice feature...

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
I am 13' 2" and I won't go under anything marked less than 13' 6".
If you don't have an adaptive GPS (mine is also a cd type), the Rand McNally Truckers Atlas has low clearances for all states and provinces. Available at Walmart.
Just know your clearance requirement and plan your route before you go. Trace

Bohemian

None of the 3 major American manufacturers provides an RV or truck capable GPS Nav system, nor has an available upgrade.

One must purchase a RV GPS Nav system in the after-market.

This needs to change, but will not without customer demand.

I have made my suggestions to Ram. One voice will not fix it.

Cost to Ram is not a significant factor other than it would be a different software version and database than cars get and therefor need to be stored and maintained by Ram.

Ram charges $500.00 to activate the GPS Nav system on the hardware already installed in the truck

The Garmin RV760 lists for $400 including all the hardware.

If we get one truck manufacturer to turn all will follow to remain competitive.

fredwrichardson

Fred: Thanks, I don't have any worries with my North Trail TT, but thought it would be nice if I could upgrade the Trucks built in system.
My Garmin is out of date but I won't spend the $150 for a CD for only a minor update to the Ram program. I can buy a new Garmin for that
price...but the built in system is really a nice feature...

The Garmin RV 760LMT allows you to have free updates. Looks like Garmin is allowing free updates with their more expensive units. Also the backup camera I have works through my RV 760LMT so the unit has a dual purpose. $372.63 if you buy on Amazon with free shipping if you are a Prime member. About $70 more if you want the wireless backup camera with it.

fredwrichardson

None of the 3 major American manufacturers provides an RV or truck capable GPS Nav system, nor has an available upgrade.

One must purchase a RV GPS Nav system in the after-market.

This needs to change, but will not without customer demand.

I have made my suggestions to Ram. One voice will not fix it.

Cost to Ram is not a significant factor other than it would be a different software version and database than cars get and therefor need to be stored and maintained by Ram.

Ram charges $500.00 to activate the GPS Nav system on the hardware already installed in the truck

The Garmin RV760 lists for $400 including all the hardware.

If we get one truck manufacturer to turn all will follow to remain competitive.

When I did my RAM survey I made sure I told that if they design the truck to tow RVs then why is not the GPS setup with the RV options.

SilverRhino

The format is a download that you then load to your GPS as a file This will not work with any of the factory systems. Low Clearence like Garmin send me at least one update every year to keep things current. I have a built in GPS in the dash of the FL but I do not use it. I have custom POI to files on the Garmin that are easily upgraded making it a much more reliable navigation system. The Big 3 have just found another way to continue to get in your pockets.

The radios, GPS systems and everything else they build into the vehicles can be found cheaper and better after market. Wish you could still order vehicles without a radio, just a hole in the dash with a cover plate you remove to install your own.

Bohemian

Garmin RV-760LMT

The L is for lifetime updates. You paid $100 to Garmin for those lifetime updates.

olcoon

DW recently got a RAV4 that has the built in GPS. As far as I'm concerned it's worthless. I haven't used it, but in looking at the GPS features, I found it's coverage area, and it looked pretty sparse. Mainly abound major cities, plus with the cost of around $200.00 to update it, I'll stick with my Garmin. Coverage everywhere, free updates every quarter. Far outshines the built in GPS offered with vehicles.

Bob Vaughn

A funny thing happened when we pulled up to the customs entry point into Alaska on the Alaska highway and the officer had my passport in his hand and asked how tall I was. I thought he was checking info on my passport so I told him 5'9" and his response was NO how tall is your rig. When I told him 13'6" he told me I would have to back around and go thru the truck entrance. Of course there was a line of vehicles behind me. He came out of the booth and made everybody back up. The RV lane was only 11' high.....what rv is that short....

Miltp920

Good thing he asked. Could have been a REALLY bad day. I am sure you would have figured it out, but how many would have been in line behind you at the low crossing.

A funny thing happened when we pulled up to the customs entry point into Alaska on the Alaska highway and the officer had my passport in his hand and asked how tall I was. I thought he was checking info on my passport so I told him 5'9" and his response was NO how tall is your rig. When I told him 13'6" he told me I would have to back around and go thru the truck entrance. Of course there was a line of vehicles behind me. He came out of the booth and made everybody back up. The RV lane was only 11' high.....what rv is that short....

chiefneon

Howdy!

I got tired of having to purchase map upgrades of my Garmin and lifetime my would no upload on the old one. So I opted to use Co-Pilot gps on my Smartphone and tablet. I has a RV setting that you can program the height yourself up to 13'. That worked well until we purchased our new Cyclone 4000 last year which is 13'6' tall. So I liked Co-Pilot and purchased the trucker version app which was still cheaper than a new stand alone gps. I really like using my Samsung Note 10.1 tablet with the large screen while pulling the RV.

http://copilotgps.com/us/

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon

dlw930

We purchased the Garmin RV 760LMT with height and width based routing. Works as long as you stay on major highways and streets, but info on restrictions isn't always available if you get off the beaten path. Ran across this photo just now....
ab8a75afc72e4963fd97c2260b5ee53e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Guess he should have paid attention to the side of the trailer, "there are no shortcuts".

Peace
Dave

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
We purchased the Garmin RV 760LMT with height and width based routing. Works as long as you stay on major highways and streets, but info on restrictions isn't always available if you get off the beaten path. Ran across this photo just now....
ab8a75afc72e4963fd97c2260b5ee53e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That shot reminds me of a photo I took in my early days as a newspaper photographer (1979):

DriveSafely.jpg

Click on photo to enlarge