Serious Leak in the Underbelly

Hey Guys......today we were inspecting the underbelly of our 4 month old Big Country and saw that the corrugated panel board was sagging down. I pushed up on the lower portion and over a gallon of water started pouring out everywhere, on both sides. On every low spot from the front door steps to the back of the RV every low spot that we push up on water will pour out. I took out a section of screws to look underneath, the insulation is dry and the top of the foil layer is dry but below that in between the foil and the corrugated board is wet. Any advice, ideas helps? We have no clue where the water is coming from.

danemayer

If you had a plumbing leak, I'd expect the insulation would be wet and the top of the foil layer would be wet. If those are dry, it makes me think water is coming from below.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
If you drive in the rain then water from the road and puddles will get into the underbelly wetting the fiberglass insulation and causing the coraplast to 'droop'. We recently took our coraplast loose because water was coming out like you stated. We found our insulation soaked. It was removed and replaced and then we reinstalled the coraplast. Then we used clear silicone caulk and the 'fiberseal" spray to seal it around the edges. We also used the expanding foam on the larger openings. It was a tough job but worth it.

sengli

I would put a 1/4" or so hole in the underbelly coroplast in the low spots so that water can drain on its own as needed. Since there is no fender wells, the water flung off the tires at 60MPH, blows by the coroplast very easily. Honestly there is no real way to seal the underside completely, it is a cover not a waterproof barrier.

fredwrichardson

Past New Mexico Chapter Leader
Hey Guys......today we were inspecting the underbelly of our 4 month old Big Country and saw that the corrugated panel board was sagging down. I pushed up on the lower portion and over a gallon of water started pouring out everywhere, on both sides. On every low spot from the front door steps to the back of the RV every low spot that we push up on water will pour out. I took out a section of screws to look underneath, the insulation is dry and the top of the foil layer is dry but below that in between the foil and the corrugated board is wet. Any advice, ideas helps? We have no clue where the water is coming from.

Are you hooked up to city water? Also do you have water in your fresh water tank? I would eliminate all water sources, let it dry out and then start adding them back in one at a time to see where the water is coming from. If it is city water hookup then you have a leaking hose. If it is the water tank then you have either a leaking hose or tank.

donr827

I would put a 1/4" or so hole in the underbelly coroplast in the low spots so that water can drain on its own as needed. Since there is no fender wells, the water flung off the tires at 60MPH, blows by the coroplast very easily. Honestly there is no real way to seal the underside completely, it is a cover not a waterproof barrier.

I agree with the holes but do not that there is no way to seal the underside. I have owned three other brand of trailers and have not had that problem or anyone else on their forum.
Don

DougS

Doug S
I had a similar problem a few years ago while traveling in Utah. The water was clear and there had been no rain, so I looked for a fresh water leak. I shut the city water off, and the water pump never came on by itself, so I started looking by the fresh water holding tank for a leak. The pipe elbow coming from the tank cracked as a result from touching the frame. I cut the underbelly and repair was made. A probe camera came in handy.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
X2 on drilling 1/4" holes at the low spots. DO NOT DRILL too deep...cause ya might bore a hole in a tank. You can tear everything apart or drill the holes...let it drain, dry up and see if you get any more water leaking out.

dasmoeturhead

If you drive in the rain then water from the road and puddles will get into the underbelly wetting the fiberglass insulation and causing the coraplast to 'droop'. We recently took our coraplast loose because water was coming out like you stated. We found our insulation soaked. It was removed and replaced and then we reinstalled the coraplast. Then we used clear silicone caulk and the 'fiberseal" spray to seal it around the edges. We also used the expanding foam on the larger openings. It was a tough job but worth it.
Jeez, that's all we've been doing. Is driving in the rain
I would hope that that would not cause a problem. Ours is drooping also. One more thing to add to the list of problems were having . Trying to stay positive about this purchase, but it's getting harder and harder to give it a good rating when someone asks about the quality .

diamondl

Mine was the broken connection on the line out of the sewer tank. The tank didn't seem to be held in place. Hope this isn't your problem!!!!
diamondl

k-f-Indiana

Do you have a refrigerator with icemaker/water dispenser? Our leak was the plastic water line to the refrigerator.

schrod

I would not believe for a second that it is coming from driving in the rain. If this were the case then every single trailer from every company that has a similar bottom would have the water problem. The water is coming from a leak folks pure and simple. Another fine Heartland QC issue.

danemayer

I would not believe for a second that it is coming from driving in the rain. If this were the case then every single trailer from every company that has a similar bottom would have the water problem. The water is coming from a leak folks pure and simple. Another fine Heartland QC issue.

Many of us have towed in heavy rain and experienced water pouring out of the underbelly. It's not the only possibility, but it is one that's real. And the first time it happens it's very disconcerting. And please notice that the OP said the insulation was dry, whereas with water leaks from above it's usually wet.

Perhaps you haven't towed in heavy rain.

rxbristol

With all the openings in the cloroplast that I have sealed around the wheels and edges, I can see how water would could easily get into the bottom of the RV. I have looked at other brands and some manufactures do better than others.

I worry more about creatures (rats, bees, wasps, snakes) getting in more than rain water.

buddyboy

You've had this problem too? What trailer do you have?