Surge protecters

jpmorgan37

Cy & Kathy;

I always use one. If you do a search on Surge Protectors, you will find a lot of information on here already. Here is one link with some discussion on the subject. Surge Protector
John

Last edited:

Oldlthrneck

Just an Old Jarhead
I do not use a surge protector at the point of hook-up for my rig, but I do use them on the sensitive electronic equipment in my trailer (computers, etc).
Fred

Delaine and Lindy

We have a 50 amp surge protector, we got it at Camping World. We also have a Surge protector for all out TV's and Computers. We use the portabale one because its just plug it in. The other type has to be hard wired. I just didn't want to cut wiring in a new 5er. And then the hassle of removing it when you upgrade 5er's and you will upgrade:D. We have used our 50 amp on three different 5th wheels. There are some that don't use a surge protector, but it only takes one time to fry all the Tv's, Fridge and computers. We now have a 4 door fridge with the ice maker and I have no idea what the cost of replacement would be. I recomend a Surge protector. GBY.....

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader
Surge Protector Link is not working

Cy & Kathy;

I always use one. If you do a search on Surge Protectors, you will find a lot of information on here already. Here is one link with some discussion on the subject. Surge Protector

John

John, this link would not work for me.

Last edited by a moderator:

ChopperBill

I know I probably should have one. We 90% boon dock, never could find out if it would be absolutely necessary to use one from a generator. Getting real tired of throwing money at this RV deal!

Oldlthrneck

Just an Old Jarhead
Gary:
I see you live in Arago. I was born in North Bend, grew up in Pistol River, graduated Gold Beach HS. Still have a brother living in Myrtle Point and his kids live in the area too. Will have to stop by and say hi next time Elizabeth and I are in the area.
Fred and Elizabeth

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Do you us a lock on your Surge Protector..

I would like to add to this thread if you don't mind.

I received my Surge Guard yesterday and have it connected. I also purchased a lock for it. One thing I found was that the length of conductor from the body to the plug is quite short. It fits on the Shore Power where I am now but at some campgrounds it would be a problem to connect. Is there a short 50a to 50a jumper. Do you cover the surge protector, lay it on the ground? What if it starts to rain?

I started to connect the Lock to it (You need a padlock) as shown in the instructions. Now something dawned on me. My power cable screws into the back of the trailer, runs to the Surge Guard and then connected to the Shore Power. If I locked the Surge Guard, all someone has to do is unplug it from the shore power and go back and unscrew my power cable from the trailer then walk away with the whole thing. I just blew $30. If I don't lock it they most likely won't take my power cable.

Do any of you lock your Surge Suppressor??

Also if you had a surge or whatever, how do you get the power going again without removing the Surge Protector. There is no reset button. My old 30a had a reset button and test button.

This is the Surge Guard 34750 I bought through Tweetys.
http://www.tweetys.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=6758

Last edited by a moderator:

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Makes sense to me what you are saying. More than likely someone would walk away with the entire cord and surge protector. That would cost around $400+ to replace both pieces.

I have elected to hardwire my own in for just that reason. If I do switch trailers later on in life then I will pull this one out and install it into the new unit.

Mark

truknutt

Committed Member
Bob,

The description answers 2 of your questions:

"Detailed Description
Complete electrical protection for your RV! Automatically shuts off the power when detecting incorrectly wired pedestal, power surges, low (<102V) and high (>132V) voltage, reverse polarity, and dangerous current on ground wire. Automatically resets on power restoration. Features caution indicator light to indicate cause of power stoppage. 2 minute 16 second reset delay protects AC compressor. Weather resistant, 10/3 AWG cord. Offers 1750 joules of surge protection."

As far as securing the unit goes.....ooops is right (or is that "D'oh!")! :D
I have been searching the web and can't find a solution. Will keep searching though and will post any results.

Dave

jpmorgan37

I've never locked mine in two years. It sits out with no cover on it. It's been rained on, snowed on, covered with ice and sat in 110 degree sun. I just connect it and forget it (although I have had to reset it on a few occasions from close lightening strikes).

John

HappyKayakers

I would like to add to this thread if you don't mind.

I started to connect the Lock to it (You need a padlock) as shown in the instructions. Now something dawned on me. My power cable screws into the back of the trailer, runs to the Surge Guard and then connected to the Shore Power. If I locked the Surge Guard, all someone has to do is unplug it from the shore power and go back and unscrew my power cable from the trailer then walk away with the whole thing. I just blew $30. If I don't lock it they most likely won't take my power cable.

Do any of you lock your Surge Suppressor??

I lock mine all the time and had the same thoughts you did. If the power panel I'm plugging into has a lockable cover, I use a separate padlock on that. That way, those thieving miscreants can't get to one end or the the circuit breaker to safely cut the cord. The other option is to use a long shackle padlock on the surge guard lock, then run a security cable through that to something a little more substantial.