Couple of Battery Rack modifications

CKFX

My wife just purchased a 2015 29P RKS TT, and being the belt and suspenders kind of person, I made a couple of modifications to the battery rack area. On TT pick up I traded up for a group 27 size from the 24 that was OEM, and noticed that the battery rack was large enough for at least two boxes. The plastic belt was the only thing holding the battery and box to the rack. They had tightened it down so hard to keep from shifting I knew what was going to be my first modification. Using light weight aluminum L stock I cut two lengths and bolted them flat up against the box on both sides. Now side load is taken by aluminum and belt only holds box top and battery vertical movement in check. While doing this I noted that both + & - wires running from battery to front A-frame junction were flying loose and had extra length with a zip strip holding them to the battery rack on drivers side. I hate chafe so wrapped both with the plastic spiral wrap from under box cover to the connection point at A-frame. Now any rubbing is against slippery plastic, not the wire's insulation, and to me it looks "neat", for I hate it when anything dangles in the breeze. And of course while doing this I installed a battery disconnect switch to eliminate any 12 V power consumption while trailer is stored. All told about two hours work and $50.00 in materials.

I will attach pictures when I'm approved by the moderator, well understand the caution shown.

Have enjoyed reading all entries in these forums, especially us "Prowlers". A lot of good advice is given freely, thanks.

Fx

Attachments

• Copy of BATT. DISCONNECT.jpg
    Copy of BATT. DISCONNECT.jpg
    457.6 KB · Views: 63
  • BATTERY WRAP & BRACE BAR.jpg
    BATTERY WRAP & BRACE BAR.jpg
    208 KB · Views: 60
  • Copy of WIRE WRAP & BRACE & BATT. DISCONNECT.jpg
    Copy of WIRE WRAP & BRACE & BATT. DISCONNECT.jpg
    547.9 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:

jimtoo

Hi CKFX,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

Great to have another belt and suspenders type on the forum. They always seem to make mods or do repairs that inspire other folks to do something to their unit also.

Be sure and check out our Heartland Owners Club. Join us at a rally when you can and meet lots of the great folks here and make friends for a lifetime.

Enjoy the forum and your new unit.

Jim M

Also, one more post and the system should let you post pictures.